YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram and Beauty
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Tibard
Posted 2004-03-08 6:02 PM (#4344)
Subject: Bikram and Beauty

As I lay in final sharvasana Saturday, I wondered how I could utilize this lovely Bikram heat for my beauty needs. Last Wednesday before Bikram class, I decided to apply a deep conditioner to my hair before heading out the door to class. The heat of the class really helped to moisturize my dry ends. Saturday after Bikram, I applied a clay face mask to pull out the toxins already softened by the heat. Hmm, what else can I do? Perhaps an ayurvedic oil massage after class to really get the lymph moving and say buh bye to those nasty toxins? Has anyone else used the Bikram heat to enhance their beauty regimen?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-08 6:43 PM (#4345 - in reply to #4344)
Subject: RE: Bikram and Beauty

Tibard - I like the way you think! All I have done is to take hot baths after class using purification bath salts. After that I sometimes relax with rejuvenating eye pads on my eyes. The Bikram classes sure put me in the mood to pamper myself with the types of things you mentioned - especially a massage! Enjoy......

Posted 2004-03-08 7:14 PM (#4346 - in reply to #4344)

Sheesh...women...I love you but, I'm gonna turn into a metrosexual reading this stuff My only beauty routine is a cold Corona after practice
afroyogi
Posted 2004-03-10 12:56 PM (#4376 - in reply to #4344)

Yeah Bruce, I'm right with you here. WOMEN
I would think that every kind of "grease" you put onto your body will probably melt away during class, running down your body, merging wth the sweat, onto the mat and turn the already sweaty situation into one slippery nasty mess.

Posted 2004-03-10 1:40 PM (#4382 - in reply to #4376)

Man, now you've gotten me all excited with the sweaty talk...

afroyogi - 2004-03-10 11:56 AM

Yeah Bruce, I'm right with you here. WOMEN
I would think that every kind of "grease" you put onto your body will probably melt away during class, running down your body, merging wth the sweat, onto the mat and turn the already sweaty situation into one slippery nasty mess.
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-10 8:16 PM (#4386 - in reply to #4344)

Afroyogi- I just read your reply........EEEWWWWWWW, YUCK! No, I've never considered using grease (i think you're assuming hot oil treatment?). I apply a good helping of regular conditioner ( not too much that it shows) to my hair. It seems to do the trick, it doesn't drip and I never see it on the towel so the amount seems to be just right.

I went to a different Bikram studio this past week, totally different feeling at this studio, I feel as if I work harder because of the instructor ( she gives me tips on how to modify poses). The other studio has a tranquil atmosphere that I love and increased humidity because I sweat more but not much help from the instructors. Oh which one to choose? Tough decision
Balen
Posted 2004-03-11 9:50 AM (#4390 - in reply to #4344)

The only thing I could think of for the beauty and desire part in Bikram would be shades and a lawn chair.

Posted 2004-03-11 10:40 AM (#4391 - in reply to #4344)

We guys would probably all benefit from the beauty tips and watching "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" where, by the w2ay, they took one of their charges to a Bikram studio in New York. The straight guy got his ass kicked.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-11 1:03 PM (#4393 - in reply to #4344)

Tibard,

Why not go back and forth between the 2 studios if you like them both? I think getting some variety is a good thing. There are 3 different instructors at the studio I go to and they are all very different and I think sometimes they adjust the heat and humidifier differently as well. Enjoy.....

As for you guys.......Have you ever had a professional massage? Absolutely exquisite!!!!

Posted 2004-03-11 2:09 PM (#4395 - in reply to #4344)

I did have a pro massage once and I didn't like it--couldn't relax. I'm a touch me not. When my Bikram teacher wants to make my asnana better, she asks, "May I touch you?" I whisper "Not unless you buy me dinner" and then she pinches me--that I like.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-11 2:27 PM (#4398 - in reply to #4344)

That's too bad . I think a lot of men are like that - my mate tends to be that way too, to some extent. I have tried to talk him into getting a pro massage but he doesn't think he could relax either. I am just the opposite - the more touchy, feely the better
afroyogi
Posted 2004-03-11 2:49 PM (#4401 - in reply to #4344)

Kathy Ann, by a professional massage you mean a medical one, not one by a "professional" don't ya? I sure had a lot of massages in my life, starting with my father who was a physiotherapeut and later by others, always presripted by my orthopedic doc.
In that case, Bruce, I have to tell you that the first time is always a killer. All the muscles and strings are still so tight that it just hurts. Big time! But when you go again it gets better every time and after some sessions it's pure enjoyment!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-11 4:52 PM (#4403 - in reply to #4344)

Afroyogi,

By all means, what I meant by "professional" was a massage by a licensed massage therapist as you would receive at a spa. No hanky panky!
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-11 6:15 PM (#4405 - in reply to #4344)

About 10 years ago, I used to get weekly masages, my job at the time was very stressful so I rewarded myself with "the gift of massage". For me, the deep muscle tissue massage was too painful, I prefer a lighter hand.

Kathy, I originally intended to settle in at one studio and purchase a monthly Bikram pass. Now, I may rethink that and continue to alternate between the two. The Bikram instructor who suggests modifications for my poses will actually help me into a pose. I know this is a no-no but I like it because I'm new and sometimes don't understand exactly how the poses should be done.

Posted 2004-03-12 5:15 PM (#4414 - in reply to #4405)

I think most Bikram studios offer a prepaid number of classes pass That way, you can go to whatever studio/teacher you want depending on mood, location etc. Currently in San Antonio, there is just one Bikram with another opening soon (maybe--they've been saying that for 6 months). I'm awfully attached to my teachers as gurus and friends but will try the other place on occasion just to sample differences.

Tibard - 2004-03-11 5:15 PM

About 10 years ago, I used to get weekly masages, my job at the time was very stressful so I rewarded myself with "the gift of massage". For me, the deep muscle tissue massage was too painful, I prefer a lighter hand.

Kathy, I originally intended to settle in at one studio and purchase a monthly Bikram pass. Now, I may rethink that and continue to alternate between the two. The Bikram instructor who suggests modifications for my poses will actually help me into a pose. I know this is a no-no but I like it because I'm new and sometimes don't understand exactly how the poses should be done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)