YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Still sore after Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Posted 2004-03-17 4:21 PM (#4549 - in reply to #4490)
Subject: Going with the guidance

OK Yoginis--I'm leaving for practice now and am running all the guidance discussed today through my little mind--ready to apply it in about an hour and will report back.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-17 7:17 PM (#4558 - in reply to #4490)
Subject: RE: Still sore after Bikram

Oh YogaDancer,

I'm one of those people who have lower back problems. If I don't squeeze my butt during camel, I get a crick in my back (ouch!) Should I really not squeeze?

Posted 2004-03-17 8:26 PM (#4559 - in reply to #4549)
Subject: RE: Going with the guidance

Lordy--I'm quoting myself now! Well practice was the WORST ever! I was working so hard trying to remember what to do and trying to get the bod to do I fell over too many times. Teacher Carolasked what was up--I told her I'm trying to learn how to be better and gave her the details of talking to ya'll. She tried to hel me into some of the asanas to no avail--poor thing--doing half tortise (poorly) and she's standing on my back--STILL no forhead to the floor (she only weighs 100lbs.). Nuts!

Bruce - 2004-03-17 3:21 PM

OK Yoginis--I'm leaving for practice now and am running all the guidance discussed today through my little mind--ready to apply it in about an hour and will report back.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-17 9:02 PM (#4561 - in reply to #4490)

Tibard, tuck your tailbone down instead. Pull in your tummy to do that, instead.
It takes practice but it will work.

Give 'er a try!
Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-18 8:55 AM (#4567 - in reply to #4561)

Christine --

Just thought I'd let you know -- I've heard very senior Bikram instructors emphasize relaxing the belly in backward bending in order to be able to breathe. I'm not sure where that comes from as I never heard Bikram say it. I think this is an example of why he is so adamant about sticking to the dialogue.
miss dee
Posted 2004-03-18 9:21 AM (#4568 - in reply to #4567)

RE: belly in back bending

you can't pull the belly in while back bending, why would you want to?
back bending is about opening the front of the body-
you have to relax the belly in back bending.

this is probably why these "very senior teachers" are saying it.
bikram isn't saying it because he might be busy reminding you of his
'atom bomb' carrying Speedo.

there is so much more than the 'dialogue'-
if you never get out of it and study other yoga theories you are shorting yourself.
even reading about 'the sacred 26' in any other books besides bikram's can be very beneficial to students and teachers of bikram yoga alike.

blesings.
dee

My Cats' Mom - 2004-03-20 7:55 AM

Christine --

Just thought I'd let you know -- I've heard very senior Bikram instructors emphasize relaxing the belly in backward bending in order to be able to breathe. I'm not sure where that comes from as I never heard Bikram say it. I think this is an example of why he is so adamant about sticking to the dialogue.
miss dee
Posted 2004-03-18 9:42 AM (#4570 - in reply to #4539)

hi-

Christine we disagree about this- for a couple of reasons.

i think there is definitely a need for squeezing in yoga practice.
muscles are protaganistic and antagonistic- the 'work' of one relaxes the other. buttocks and belly are the example i speak of here in camel.

bikram yoga is basic isometric exercise.

80% these bikramites are beginners to yoga. most of them come with little or no body awareness. trying to get them into their little toe while in this camel posture at this time in the class seems a little far-fetched. getting past vertigo is step one for most.

i have also found most people sink deeply into their shoulders and hips in camel. i am a strong believer that this buttock security supporting the usually weak low back and the weaker abs allows the student to lift their chest (there i go with the chest lifting again) and access the elusive middle back.

re: squeezing and blocking energy
these locks/blocks to energy are a classic way to manipulate subtle energy...
we use bhandas/locks to concentrate prana into various chakras.

squeezing is good!
i'm a believer!

dee
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-18 1:36 PM (#4580 - in reply to #4570)

My personal experience with squeezing the buttocks (ah, me squeezing my own isometrically, that is ) is that too much squeezing puts too much pressure on the SI joint. This is not something I decided on my own -- it was discussed in a Yoga Journal article a year or so ago. Students of mine (and another instructor) who have been practicing Bikram and are experiencing lower back pain have noticed a drop in the pain when they unclench that butt a little. Clenching the glutes, I've noticed, has a tendency to cause the knees to come apart and the thighs to rotate out.

Maybe we're all talking about a different type of squeezing?

Namaste
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-18 1:42 PM (#4581 - in reply to #4568)

LOL on the Speedo comment, Darla.

Just for the record, I do practice and study other types of yoga and do go outside of the dialogue. At the same time, I remember getting glimpses of Bikram's genius at training and believe that sometimes, there are reasons he does not say one thing or another.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-18 2:45 PM (#4583 - in reply to #4490)

We'll have to agree to disagree on the butt squeezing, Darla. I and most every other tradition will, that is. Squeezing is a fitness world thing.

Bandhas, as in the muladara chakra's bandha, is the perineum and no where near accessed by squeezing the butt. It does biomechanically jam up the tailbone, whether you choose to think so. It's one of the reasons the legs in backbends do an inner rotation or spiral, which is to make room for the tailbone to move between the pelvic bones.

As far as squeezing the tummy in any backbend? I agree. It's rather counter productive and counter intuitive. The abs want to be long and lean. Again, unclenching the butt cheeks gives the pelvis and tailbone room to move. Lifting the chest in a backbend, no matter which way you're facing, is really important for opening the shoulders, too.

Christine
Who just came from a class focusing totally on Backbends. My nemisis.

miss dee
Posted 2004-03-18 3:23 PM (#4588 - in reply to #4490)

YIKES!!! SPIRALS?
this explains a great deal. yes, the anusara theories are quite different than bikrams.

we offer anusara at my studio and the teacher is amazing. he's one of the more popular ones we have... but i confess spirals and loops in anusara leave me as frustrated as algebra! my anusara knowledge is Teeny Tiny- so you got me there.

seriously- i know butt squeezing is not any sort of bhanda- i was simply matching them up as ways to hold energy. and commenting that holding energy is desirable in some situations.

Blessings!
Dee
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-18 3:35 PM (#4589 - in reply to #4490)

"Well, lemme tell 'ya," she said, hand on hip, waving finger in the air. "Clenching the butt isn't holding energy, it's putting muscles into a state of tension. There is no balancing action in that, now is there? Hmmmmm....? We don't want that, now do we? Hmmmmm?"

Anyway, Spiral is Anusara and Rotation is Iyengar. Different language for the same thing. "Take the inner, upper thighs back" is an Ashtanga teacher with a background in both. so 'ya see... .

The rotations aren't that difficult if you just stop and decide you're learning something like, Oh, say, French? It's a totally different way to use the body. It lines you up anatomically so you actually move more freely, vs. clenching and pushing through something. Just the little you've written here tells me this is totally a mental block on your part, not a lack of ability or visualization.

Ironically, if you do that inner thigh thing, lift the side body, and go back from the upper spine (rhomboid area), keeping your chin on your chest until THE last second? (Anusara "skull loop) you'll find yourself sliding into the pose.

For all of you to try:
Kneel, facing the wall close enough that your thighs are against it. Now do Ustrasana. Don't let your thighs leave the wall and naturally in this position you cannot push your hips forward.

Whole 'nother can of worms!

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-18 5:49 PM (#4605 - in reply to #4589)

OK - regarding the stomach thing.

When I go to do a back bend, I put my hips in dog tilt, getting hips over knees. Then I tuck my tailbone down ever so slightly. Then I fill out my chest & back and start to lift the chest before bending backward. The combination of these actions causes my stomach to come in some, not relax.

Comments?

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-18 6:05 PM (#4609 - in reply to #4490)

Confusion:

Please look at Dog tilt here, (Step II) and here and tell me what you're talking about?

It sounds like you're dropping back into a gymnastics (or Ashtanga) style drop-back, but the term "dog tilt" doesn't fit. Not even in Bikram. Can you find a picture of what you mean, so I can understand what you're talking about better? I think it's a question of languaging.

Christine

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-18 6:17 PM (#4610 - in reply to #4605)

Oh - I see some confusion here.
I said to draw in the tummy to tuck the tailbone. That action done gently elongates the spine a little and fills out the lower back, preventing the vertebrae from squinching.

Pulling in the stomach, as in sucking it in, or holding it tightly? No. If you just tuck your tailbone, you'll find the complimentary action there is an elongation of the abs, albeit gentle. So drawing the abs in and up softly efore backending can make a huge difference.

Still, squeezing the butt gives the tailbone no place to go and will cause the lower back to crunch, sometimes painfully. Sometimes it's only after you come out that you feel the ache.

The Anusara feeling is that when you backbend, if done correctly, will not demand you counter stretch immediately after. You should feel simply as though you'd bent down forward and up, although it was actually backwards. I don't know many who feel this way, and I'm not one of them. But that is the idea and I think it explains how one should aim to do a backbend gently.

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-18 6:54 PM (#4614 - in reply to #4610)

Sorry -

By "dog tilt" I just mean to lift the hips a little to get some curve in the lower back. When I stand, I have a tendency to push my hips a little forward of my knees and turn my feet out. So, I'm always bringing the feet back together and pushing my hips back a little, into what I call "dog tilt".

I don't pull the belly in tightly or suck it in, it just draws in from the other actions, I think.
vero
Posted 2004-03-18 8:42 PM (#4624 - in reply to #4561)

You know what? I am totally done with bikram. Done. I'm so frustrated. This time it was "dandayamana-Janushirasana" that got me. I think I'll just practice some other kind of yoga and come back to bikram in a year or so. But there are a few poses that I will never try again.

Vero
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-18 10:30 PM (#4626 - in reply to #4624)

vero - 2004-03-18 8:42 PM

You know what? I am totally done with bikram. Done. I'm so frustrated. This time it was "dandayamana-Janushirasana" that got me. I think I'll just practice some other kind of yoga and come back to bikram in a year or so. But there are a few poses that I will never try again.

Vero

Vero
Tell us what happened, why have you forsaken Bikram??

Posted 2004-03-19 5:49 AM (#4629 - in reply to #4624)
Subject: dandayamana-Janushirasana

Woo hoo I've been there and especially on dandayamana-janushirasana; usually just stand there with a bent leg. When I try to straighten the other, nothing happens, leg won't go out cause my arms are too short and can't bend forward enough to get 'em longer.So I consider myself a success just being able to stand still on one leg for the four tries.

vero - 2004-03-18 7:42 PM

Vero
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-19 7:35 AM (#4630 - in reply to #4490)

People don't get that the standing leg is the most important element. It's the foundation. And not "like concrete" but strongly engaged, toes lifted if possible, without hyperextending the knee. Once your foundation is set, the rest will come. I swear!

Vero? I'm glad you're not giving up yoga, just looking to try something is. A pose is a pose is a pose. It's what we do with it that counts. When our attitude and frustration reject it? Time to try something else and go at it differently.

I won't be around today. Off to a WONDERFUL teacher training weekend with Betsey Downing. You guys have a great day and strong practices!

Christine

Posted 2004-03-19 8:02 AM (#4631 - in reply to #4490)

Enjoy Christine! (Oh no...she's left us alone for the weekend..let's talk about her now...)
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-19 2:49 PM (#4650 - in reply to #4490)

C'mon Vero - tell us more.
vero
Posted 2004-03-19 2:52 PM (#4651 - in reply to #4626)

Well, remember my pulled hammstring? It turns out that was kind of a blessing in disguise. Once that was healed I was able to straighten my leg and, POW!! my back kind of poped and I've been out of commision for a week. Feeling much better now, but no more "dandayamana-Janushirasana" for me. I feel better about it now that I vented
Vero
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-19 3:43 PM (#4655 - in reply to #4490)

Vero - sorry to hear of your pains. Try to take it slow and easy. Be a tortoise like me - slow but sure and you will improve over time. Hang in there and none of this
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-19 7:45 PM (#4665 - in reply to #4490)

Ooooooooo...I understand why you're leaving Bikram, I'm so sorry about your injury. Please check in with us from time to time to let us know how you're healing. Be well....
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)