YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beryl Bender Birch Workshop
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-17 12:52 PM (#4534)
Subject: Beryl Bender Birch Workshop

So I'm pretty excited.
I just got into a weekend workshop with Beryl Bender Birch at Universal Movement in Virginia Beach. It's April 23 ->25. Friday's day is teacher training, with the rest being workshops.

I took a 40 hour TT with her and absolutely loved it. It was wonderful to spend time with someone so confident in their practice, and so serene about their yoga. She has so much to offer and puts it out there for you to take or leave, depending upon what's up to you at that very moment in your life.

The practices are really rich, slow moving, deep breathing and focused. The group energy she fosters is almost tangible. Although I've not been to this studio before, the manager was in the 40 hour one I took, and she has a lovely, supportive attitude, so I think it will carry through into the workshop.

I'm taking one of my students who isn't well grounded in Ashtanga, but who has a beautiful attitude. Another friend with an amazing practice is coming, too. So I fit right in the middle where I belong.

I love yoga road trips! Anyone else wanna come?

Christine
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LoraB
Posted 2004-03-17 2:21 PM (#4541 - in reply to #4534)
Subject: RE: Beryl Bender Birch Workshop

I would come out in heartbeat if it weren't for finals....Yoga or finals? Hmmmmm
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-17 2:42 PM (#4544 - in reply to #4534)

that's a no-brainer for me.

But then, I flew from Algiers to Marsailles, to Paris, to Luxumborg, to Iceland, to NYC, to Chicago to Kalamazoo MI in the bathroom of the planes to register for my last semester of college. It was make that date or not graduate.

Now I don't see why I bothered. 3 degrees and never really used a single one of them.

Christine
LoraB
Posted 2004-03-23 12:25 AM (#4766 - in reply to #4534)

In the bathroom of the planes? Sounds like a good trip.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-23 11:49 AM (#4776 - in reply to #4534)

It's a great place if you have disentary. Or however you spell that poopy situation!

Edited by YogaDancer 2004-03-23 11:51 AM
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-27 12:08 PM (#5748 - in reply to #4534)

So this weekend was my workshop. I had such a great time! Beryl is a really wonderful person. Very calm, very confident in what she has to offer, very open to working with different attitudes, physical conditions, and energy. She brings what she has to the table and you take what you can at the moment -- or not -- and work with it. Very down to earth and dedicated to what she sees as a world changing activity.

We did the Primary Series Friday morning, then had teacher training hours of discussion and laughter. We talked a lot about owning studios, ethics, how to deal with different situations, etc.

Friday night was an open session, so it was the Primary Series again. (YEAH!)

Saturday morning I did the Second Series, but sprained my wrist the night before, rolling back onto the heel of my hands when moving back into down dog. That's a BIG no-no. Anyway, I modified my vinyasas and arm balances to do them on straight fists. I did get numb fingers, though, so passed in the Primary Series next, and went to get an x-ray. Just a sprain and a brace for 10 days ("...or I'll be messing with it for 6 months," said the doctor.)

That afternoon was discussion on Therapeutics, pranayama, meditation, and touching on the Sutras. Lots of laughing.

Sunday morning was the Primary Series again, where I modified into Dolphin for my Up/Down dogs and the hip opener where you are in a lunch and put your elbows on the floor as my transitional pose. My shoulders need the work, so what the heck!

So I got a lot of yoga in, which is what I love, a lot of shoulder work, and a lot of excellent group energy.

There were a couple of Iyengar people in there who had never done Ashtanga. One I learned at Friday night's close, was next to me. She had a nice practice, but she wasn't used to such movement. I think, however, we have a convert. Another Iyengar woman was ragged out, lying on the ground moaning softly after class and said she wasn't coming back on Saturday. Bless her little dogged soul, she came back and hung the entire weekend. It might not be for her, but she gave it a good go! Both of these women, though, without their strong foundational background in Iyengar would have been dangerously at a loss, as these were not remotely beginning level classes. As it was, they struggled, but I think had a good time!

So I would and will do this again the next time Beryl's close by. Wonderful workshop! If you ever get a chance.....

Christine

Posted 2004-04-28 8:33 AM (#5777 - in reply to #4534)

Great synopsis Guru Christine--thanks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)