YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

asking about hatha yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Men's HealthMessage format

mohammed
Posted 2004-03-18 4:41 PM (#4599)
Subject: asking about hatha yoga

im a male 31 year old
i have a back problem and would like to do hatha yoga is it wrong or good for me but im interested in it please help
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-22 12:14 AM (#4721 - in reply to #4599)
Subject: RE: asking about hatha yoga

As a general answer, yes, yoga can probably help you with your back problem. Since back problems are as individual as the people who have them, it's impossible to say how of what to do with just "back problem" listed.

I would seek out an Iyengar or Anusara teacher specializing in what's called "Special Conditions" yoga. If you cannot find someone teaching that, look for Gentle yoga. It's a yoga that makes space in the body, particularly the spine. This in itself can relieve many back issues.

Yoga can change your life if you let it. Age and gender are irrelevant. Thank goodness!

Christine
rrt
Posted 2004-05-04 8:48 PM (#5971 - in reply to #4599)

:( :lol: hatha yoga is altogether a different branch of yoga. for your back problem you may do basic back strenthning asanas like makarasana, ushtrasana, uttanpadasana etc.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-04 9:17 PM (#5972 - in reply to #4599)

Please specify the back problem. Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-05 11:06 AM (#5994 - in reply to #5971)

I would not suggest anyone with an unknown back problem throw themselves into "back strengtheners" without knowing what the back problem is. For someone with herniated discs, these can be seriously and severely contra indicated. Plus, for beginners they're terribly demanding on a spine that is probably far too weak to do the full pose. Pulling or straining a muscle has someone saying, "Yoga hurt me" when it was just plain ignorance on someone's part.

Again, if this person were to describe their back issue, we could possibly send them in a good direction, but I wouldn't get into prescribing asana here in such an irresponsible manner.

Until then, I stand by my referral to a live teacher and their doctor's supervision.

Why possibly make a really painful situation worse? You're messing with someone's ability to live a pain-free life, let alone the ability to MOVE.

Christine
supple1au
Posted 2004-06-01 11:09 PM (#7064 - in reply to #5994)

Congratulations Christine on a superbly responsible post.
I agree with your comments 100%.
Generalising in the area of 'back problems' is a huge risk.

Kevin
innerathlete
Posted 2005-04-12 4:06 AM (#21681 - in reply to #4599)

I'll weigh in on this one as well.

Much like troubleshooting a technology issue, the original poster hasn't said enough about her/his system for the tech to diagnose the issue.

If I may speak for the collective, "we" would be helped in knowing what is the magnitude of the current injury. Have you been seen by health practitioners and if so, in what modalities? If traditional western medicine have you had an MRi and if so what was the determination of the imaging?

Where is the pain located. "Back" is a pretty general term and doesn't help us to determine if you're having muscle pain, an SI issue, or disk problems.

What's your fitness level currently?

So if you pop back in and care to update your post _ "we'll" do our part.

Edited by innerathlete 2005-04-12 4:07 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)