YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tony Sanchez
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Stracko
Posted 2004-03-19 10:14 PM (#4667)
Subject: Tony Sanchez

Tony is a great guy. I took a workshop with him last year. "The 84 Classical Asanas" in which all yoga forms have been created including Bikram.

Bikram Yoga is great but the man has been lost in money and greed. There are a whole bunch of good people out there being harrassed and heckled by him,

Well, I will leave that alone. Bikram is a gifted teacher but I would stay clear of him and his training until he decides to cool down.

Tony is a great option and will expose you to more of the Yoga having learned at the Ghosh College.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-19 10:27 PM (#4671 - in reply to #4667)
Subject: RE: Tony Sanchez

If I lived anywhere near San Francisco, I would be all over a Tony Sanchez workshop. Have you looked at his book on the asanas? Wondering if it adds insight.
Posted 2004-04-09 6:25 PM (#5272 - in reply to #4671)

Tony's yoga is beautiful, and he's done a terrific service to the Bikram community by publishing and teaching the advanced poses that Bikram's Yoga "college" will only teach to Bikram instructors. What's more, Bikram and his senior teachers can't do a lot of these postures anymore, so Tony has prevented them from being lost to the vanities of BYCI.

I hope that he'll publish a book on this yoga someday, an advanced text for the Bikram community.

Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-09 6:45 PM (#5275 - in reply to #4667)

He does have a book on his "Yoga Challenge I" series. I got it recently and I am sorry to say that it is really pretty simplistic, nowhere near as much detail as the Bikram book.

I really wonder if Bikram will ever expand to having some type of "Intermediate" classes in addition to the "Beginning" ones or even "Beginning" series part two. The poses would not necessarily have to be more advanced, just different and geared to people that have done the other class at least a few times.
Posted 2004-04-09 9:46 PM (#5276 - in reply to #5275)

Kathy Ann, your criticism of Tony is off the mark. Yoga Challenge I is a beginner's series, just like Bikram's book. It differs in not being so mean-spirited as Bikram's book, without showing all the ways to do the pose wrong. Bikram actually makes fun of his students throughout the book. Yet, while Bikram is so intent on making everyone else feel incompetent, get this: on the cover of his book, he's got his knee way past his ankle in Trikonasana. How many times have you heard Bikram instructors say that that's a mistake? Seems Bikram can't even practice what he preaches. He was a great yogi when he was young, but then he got into Rolls-Royce cars and Rolex watches and gave up his talent.

In contrast to Bikram, Tony Sanchez has been willing to go onto *video* demonstrating advanced poses. Video is pretty unforgiving: if you waver it shows. Tony doesn't waver.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-14 3:52 PM (#5389 - in reply to #4667)

To "Guest",

I was not being at all critical of Tony Sanchez himself or his method. I was just expressing my opinion of his book which I still say is very simplistic. Some of the other people in this forum were interested in the book. As far as Bikram's book goes, I enjoyed the humor and appreciated being shown what he considers the "proper" form of the asanas as well as what to realistically expect as a beginner. What you considered "making fun" of his students, I just considered humorous and lighthearted. The students "made fun" of him as well, if that's what you consider it.

Anyway, even if I had never taken a Bikram class and had just seen the Sanchez book compared to the Bikram book, I would still say the Sanchez book is simplistic, much more so than Bikram's. My opinion only.

And I really could not care less about how much money Bikram has or if he is doing the posture the wrong way on the cover of the book.

And, by the way, I don't appreciate being told that "my criticism is off the mark" by "Guest" when I was expressing my opinion. You are certainly entitled to express yours but this is a subjective topic and thus no right or wrong, just opinions.

Edited by Kathy Ann 2004-04-14 4:00 PM
hot4yoga
Posted 2004-04-25 12:51 PM (#5679 - in reply to #4667)

When I've done Bikram with instructors in class, I am blown away by some advanced poses they get into. I could just sit in the room and watch them the entire 90 mins.

Just wondering if that is part of the training they get at "Bikram school" - to learn these beautiful poses...

Edited by hot4yoga 2004-04-25 12:52 PM
Deelited
Posted 2004-04-26 12:14 PM (#5715 - in reply to #4667)

Hot4Yoga - have you seen the poster that Tony sells with him illustrating all 84 asanas? it's gorgeous and worth the purchase. also, tony teaches some of these advanced postures in his Yoga Challenge II and III classes and in his weekend workshops that actually go through all of the 84 postures as well. next one is in July and if you can't make it (aren't you moving soon?) then do consider one down the road after you get settled - he schedules them a few times throughout the year - http://www.usyoga.org - all info on workshops, posters, etc..are currently listed. Namaste.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-26 3:29 PM (#5720 - in reply to #4667)

Dee,

I see on Tony's website that he does teacher training. If that is the case, I would think there would be a few people around in different areas that teach his Yoga Challenge. Or, is the teacher training something new?
hot4yoga
Posted 2004-04-26 7:21 PM (#5734 - in reply to #4667)

Hiya Dee - wow - if the poster is anything like the "hand stand" Tony is doing on the webpage... I'm definately gettin it! Thanks

-Jose

(yoga13.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments yoga13.jpg (42KB - 107 downloads)
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-04-26 9:19 PM (#5738 - in reply to #5734)

Hot4yoga --- You should check out Tony's Yoga Challenge 4 video. He does a whole string
of handstand variations.
hot4yoga
Posted 2004-04-27 6:31 PM (#5765 - in reply to #5738)

Thanks BG - I will. - Jose
Deelited
Posted 2004-04-27 7:29 PM (#5767 - in reply to #4667)

Kathy Ann -
Tony offers his Yoga Challenge I Teacher Training twice a year about. He keeps his enrollment small - under 20.ish or so. The last training had students from all over - mostly Europe. He does have a few teachers in the US, but most of the teachers are in the Bay Area so far. I will check with him to see if there are any in AZ - that's where you're located, right?

Also - Hot4Yoga - yes, that picture is one of 84 that are illustrated on his poster - he is demonstrating all of them - poster is gorgeous and worth the investment. Also, he just came out with a dvd version of his Yoga Challenge I and as Bay Area Guy said, he's got everything on the IV dvd as well.

Enjoy!!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-28 12:04 PM (#5785 - in reply to #4667)

Dee - thanks for the info. Yes, I live in Scottsdale and work in Phoenix, AZ.
Deelited
Posted 2004-04-28 2:29 PM (#5790 - in reply to #4667)

KathyAnn - there used to be a Yoga Challenge teacher in AZ - Her name is Chris Ladau in Payson and Pine, Arizona. Her number WAS (520) 472-6133. Hope that helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)