YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

back problems
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Men's HealthMessage format

Mike
Posted 2004-03-22 7:51 PM (#4748)
Subject: back problems

i am 35 and have bouts with a herniated disk. I am wondering if yoga can help first as as method of therapy and secondlly as prevention. My job requires physical acts ie lifting and I do enjoy golfing. Will yoga help me in these areas of concern? :
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-27 6:42 AM (#6890 - in reply to #4748)
Subject: RE: back problems

Dear Mike:
Your question is like this 'I want to drink Hot Tea, but can something make it feel cold'. The answer is yes, if you strongly imagine that it is cold, it will, but it will still burn your tongue and damage it. Dear Mike: First take care of your back and make it strong. Then, you go for golf or whatever in a small fashion.

In the minimum, your question is totally against Yoga Principles. Yoga is not meant for Golf and such, this will better be served by Physiotherapy.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
ylangylang
Posted 2004-08-03 10:54 PM (#8859 - in reply to #4748)

my bf had an accident in past life since then had a wrecked back. from time to time massage did help. (went from not be able to lift his left arm to now being able to go for a swim after years and years).

just since last couple of months i read about rubber ball and started to train that on him. im not saying to say the back problem has gone away but he feels much much better. if you'd like to read about it click here.

i think this 'no movement exercise' book title is miracle fitness ball created by this woman who long time had severe back pain, she used to be a dancer.

i n bf are tryin to find lots of alternatives and cure for his back pain cuz its killing him. so those are 2 of few things we've tried.

cheers
nana
Posted 2004-08-06 4:07 PM (#8949 - in reply to #4748)

ok first i extruded my l4-l5 disc ( means i POPPed IT) Vodka and vikiden didnt do sh... didnt sleep for days finially sleept on ice for weeks or didnt sleep. second I DONT DO YOGA . i pratice some yoge poses but mainly tai chi and other martial arts. i DIDNT HAVE surgery and today 4 years later im stronger than before
Keys for relief of back pain are: 1learn about psoas muscles Especially how to stretch them
2 drink water (add a pinch of natrual sea salt) the more water the better 95% of us are chroniclly dehydrated.beer is not water dude
3 . lay on back . feet flat on floor knee bent at 90
roll pelvic bowl not lifting make movement come from feet keep body rlaxed as possible do for 5 or 10 min. 4 next one is the same start pos. looks like drop kees to left then right but your intent is to take left knee away from left hip as you push your knee away your left hip will rise and both knees will drop right . then relax back to center then push right knee away from right hip resulting in right hip lifting and both knees dropping left . relax back to center. do for 5 or 10min 3 times a day o yea eat 1 vegetarian for lunch per week o jk good luck.!
innerathlete
Posted 2005-04-12 3:34 AM (#21679 - in reply to #4748)

Mike,

You're not getting a very big dose of compassion thus far from respondents now are you?

You mention having "bouts" with a herniated disk but you don't mention in which location(s) of the spine this is occuring. It would be presumptuous, even dangerous for advice to be dealt out without knowing if we're talking about your neck or your lumbar spine. Very different. And I'm not sure what bouts means. Have you had a difinitive reading of an MRI?

What broad information can be provided is that the two activities you mention - lifting at work and golf - tend to be a bit jarring on the anatomy in their own special ways. They'll not make this herniation better.

When you sustain an injury it's the body's way of protecting itself and sort of telling you "Whoa dood, don't EVER do that again. Uncool!". And then we promptly proceed to not listen. Point being, choose health over golf and lifting and make some life changes.

If you choose to continue lifting and continue golfing, so be it. Can yoga negate these activities such that your herniation goes bye bye? Probably not because you're continuing to do damage. If you're asking if yoga might help you heal, in conjunction with some dietary and life changes, then one answer would be "it can".

So yoga, done properly and under the supervision of a senior teacher, can serve as threapy (again when supported with the appropriate dietary and life changes) and prevention assuming you're not repeating the harmful behavior (perhaps forward bending beyond 90ยบ with the legs straight).

Hope this is helpful you to and here's to well being for your spine.

yogi-boy
Posted 2007-05-15 4:57 PM (#86333 - in reply to #4748)

Mike; without the wise-ass semantics, the answer to both your questions is a unanimous YES.

I popped a disk in my back, granted I saw a doctor, choro & physiotherapist but eventually I found the greatest long-term benefit through yoga.

7 years later, I can sense when my back is going to rebel & I modify my practise to incorporate more backward bends & twists (works for me & mediaclly recommended). I also know to maintain my practise otherwise I'll be back to square one - walking at a righthangle from my hips!).

Prevention is better than cure- but yoga does do both.

Pilates is also good- I sometimes modify my postures with a combo of eACH.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)