YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is is safe?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

yogastyle
Posted 2004-03-23 10:12 AM (#4774)
Subject: Is is safe?

Hi there, this is my first post, but I have read a few and what a site you have here. It is wonderful. My question is: is it safe to practice yoga more than 3 or 4 times a day? I suffer from stress & anxiety with very sore muscles, the doctors tried putting me on heavy drugs, I found yoga into my lifestyle and will never revert to drugs again. So how many times a day can you prctice yoga and it be safe, the maximum?
Thanx so much for your help. God bless and may your practising go well with you all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-27 7:38 PM (#4903 - in reply to #4774)
Subject: RE: Is is safe?

Since we know nothing about your body or your health, other than the stress and anxiety, it's hard to answer that question.

If you're practicing Ashtanga several times a day, you're going to overtrain and potentially do damage to your body.

If you're practicing Ashtanga and doing other practices, you're probably going to be fine and feel better rather than tired.

I do nothing myself, but yoga. I do my Primary Series, then usually one or two Anusara or Iyengar classes. But I seem to be very unusual, not only in the time I have, but stamina.

I would suggest to most people, that you consider alternative yoga practices. Particularly for stress and/or anxiety. Do an asana practice. Add in a pranayama and meditation class. Pranyama clears them mind (addresses anxiety). The asana prepares the body for meditation.
Meditation relieves stress.

Then, with all that said, I'd examine what is so awfullly stressful that it's causing you such anxiety. It might be time to make some choices and change your life. I know yoga can help with this! I always say yoga can change your life if you just let it. But sometimes we have to make a little effort in that direction.

Christine
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)