YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

foot cramping during pilates
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Posted 2004-03-24 6:16 PM (#4811)
Subject: foot cramping during pilates

I am a Pilates Instructor and recently, some of the middle-aged women in my class have complained of foot cramping during certain exercises. I've told them to try flexing their feet as opposed to pointing them, to massage their feet during warm-up, and to stop the exercise at any sign of discomfort. I have heard cramping can be a sign of potassium-deficiency, so I also recommended eating a banana before class. Does anyone know exactly what causes cramping and how I can better guide them? Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jacka
Posted 2004-05-14 2:24 PM (#6391 - in reply to #4811)
Subject: RE: foot cramping during pilates

I too am a Pilates instructor and I have recently had many women complain of foot cramping. I too heard of Potassium deficiency as a reason for cramps??
I would love to hear a good response to your question.
I have merely instructed them, not to point the toes " so hard". " take the work out of the foot, and focus on intiating movement from you center". Also, I encourage flexing the foot, and " if it hurts, don't do it"
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-14 4:22 PM (#6397 - in reply to #4811)

The answer is as follows: a) Diet must be improved in any case, whether there is a cramp or not. b) But, while doing the exercise: question is whether the cramp is already there before any exercise is done, then they need to go to rest. if there is no cramp before, and cramp comes at one stage in the exercise, the exercise level needs to be reduced below cramp level. AFter several months of practice, the level can be increased bit by bit. c) And, above all they must get a good rest without using any external means such as hot water, hot room, massage, or whatever. If they are not getting rest, rest of it is Useless. In othe words, all exercise including Yoga Exercise is Useless without sufficient Rest.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Yogapilates97
Posted 2004-05-15 9:50 PM (#6439 - in reply to #4811)

Well I am not middleaged and I used to get foot cramps during class. I just had to start paying attention to my potassium intake and the cramps subsided.
supple1au
Posted 2004-05-31 5:51 AM (#6985 - in reply to #6397)

Cramping can be a result of assymmetry around a joint. Excessive plantar flexion (pointing) of the foot, a common movement in Pilates, can cause cramping in the arch area. Test the flexibility of the calf muscles (Gastrocnemius and Soleus) and work on increasing the ankle joint ROM.
If "diet" was a factor in these people, then cramping would also be occuring elswhere in the body even when not exercising.
How does one reduce the exercise level below the cramp level, when cramp can and will, hit suddenly at any 'level'?
Sufficient rest is good advice. However, the perception of "sufficient" by some is hugely indifferent at times.
andreasana
Posted 2004-06-01 11:46 PM (#7066 - in reply to #4811)

My college age students also experience cramping from pointing their feet suddenly or "too hard." I think it's a "charley horse" kind of pain for them. I have them warm up their calves, ankles, and flex/point their feet gently before practice. That seems to help. If someone is more prone to cramps, I instruct them not to point their foot too hard, or to flex their foot instead.
reinbeau
Posted 2004-06-17 8:38 PM (#7574 - in reply to #4811)

Try to think of 'pointing' with your ankle rather than with your toes. Keeping the toes soft, ankle extended, will help avoid cramps in the arches/feet.
NaMaleana
Posted 2004-06-19 10:10 PM (#7651 - in reply to #4811)

I think another big thing is that they are straining their bodies too hard and putting pressure on their feet because they're holding a pose too stiffly.

Tell them to do less reps, or to go more slowly. As their muscles and stamina get stronger, their cramping should subside.
pilates_cebu
Posted 2007-08-31 3:59 AM (#95425 - in reply to #4811)

Just let them try to focus in drawing ther deep abdominal muscles every movment and let then stop pointing their toes. I think we really dont need to let them point like ballerinas do.

Edited by pilates_cebu 2007-08-31 4:00 AM
belle vie
Posted 2007-08-31 9:21 AM (#95434 - in reply to #4811)
Subject: RE: foot cramping during pilat

Veteran

Hello, Guest, you might ask your students if they experience cramping at other times or not such as early morning or while sleeping.. This would be a good indicator of a defiency or not. Your advice to relax the point is good and to bend the ankle not the toes.

I always thought the legs should not be tensed too much but all the tension should be directed into the deep abds. At the beginning I tried too hard, tensing my whole body, only later did I relax and found everything moving so much easier and more effectively.
Bans
Posted 2009-08-21 6:54 AM (#117848 - in reply to #4811)

The cause of this cramping is poor form in the motion of the foot: not diet-deficiency (salts or water) or of muscle weakness.

I myself frequently suffer these cramps in the sole of my foot while "pointing" my feet in Pilates, as well as during swimming (and I am young). After lots of net-researching and trying all sorts of things, I finally found the solution.

When you flex or point your feet, a lot of people are also flexing or pointing their toes: the toes curl down towards the soles of the feet when pointing, and the toes point towards the head when flexing. It's this involvement of the toes that causes cramps.

Try (or get your clients to try) sitting with your legs in front of you, watching your feet pointing and flexing. Now, do that while relaxing your toes, keeing them still (you'll need to practice). It will probably feel as though you are not doing much, but that's the trick.

Pointing and flexing your feet is really about stretching and flexing your calves.....not your feet. The feet themselves should be loose and relaxed.

Credit to "Elaine's blog" for figuring this out! (http://headsuponyourbody.blogspot.com/2008/02/cause-of-foot-cramps.html)
Susie
Posted 2009-09-10 6:50 AM (#118252 - in reply to #4811)
Subject: Re: foot cramping during pilates

"When you flex or point your feet, a lot of people are also flexing or pointing their toes: the toes curl down towards the soles of the feet when pointing, and the toes point towards the head when flexing. It's this involvement of the toes that causes cramps.

Try (or get your clients to try) sitting with your legs in front of you, watching your feet pointing and flexing. Now, do that while relaxing your toes, keeing them still (you'll need to practice). It will probably feel as though you are not doing much, but that's the trick."
Susie
Posted 2009-09-10 7:02 AM (#118253 - in reply to #4811)

Sorry about the mistake above! I'm new. As Bans was saying above, the ankle should point, but not the toes. I have heard this described wonderfully as "Barbie Foot" - Like when Barbie takes she shoes off and she still looks like she has stilettos on.
Also, some standing foot exercises are a must for people over a certain age. It is very difficult to teach correct alignment without teaching foot placement.
lisas
Posted 2010-09-18 8:56 PM (#125121 - in reply to #4811)

New User

Thank you for this info. I had this happen to me and want to do what ever it takes to keep it from happening again.
sanjeev123
Posted 2010-11-15 6:55 AM (#126094 - in reply to #4811)

New User

The cramps really get me too, especially my left foot. I don't know why but its always that one that goes first!
PhoenixPilates
Posted 2011-02-03 9:35 PM (#202466 - in reply to #4811)

New User

Hello! I know cramps are frustrating! Yes, I tend to have clients flex vs. point their feet at times, keep up with a regular calf stretching program, making sure that they stay active (walking and cardio program) , taking their potassium, drinking enough water and electrolites thru/o the day. When they are exercising, making sure they focus the "energy" into their core and less strain to other ares where they might be trying to help stabilize. Maybe they can totally relax their feet and or not try to point their toes, rather extend them long. If they consistently are having difficulty, make sure they have consulted with a physician. Hope this helps!

Heather
Balanced Physical Therapy and Pilates
StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-02-27 8:33 AM (#202847 - in reply to #4811)

Does anyone have thoughts as to the causes of leg calf cramps? Might is stem from a potassium deficiency too and/or poor posture and insufficient stretching. I´ve recently had two calf cramp attacks in the middle of the night (over the span of a month). It´s so painful, and I´m not sure if it´s caused by a movement in my sleep or one of the previously mentioned possibilities? I´ve been practicing yoga for years, so I can´t say that I´m doing anything different in my practice or with my diet. Perhaps stress related? Any suggestions are welcome.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)