YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

adroitragedy
Posted 2004-03-29 7:57 PM (#4970)
Subject: Yoga and Jesus Christ

word.

i have always had trouble connecting with God through practical christian biblical teachings. it just isnt easy for me to get on my knees and pray or to exhibit a life of worship. this past year i have done yoga to help myself focus on God.
i find that with simple asanas and meditation on a basis of fundamental yoga stuff, i recieve complete restoration in Jesus Christ and the holy spirit he promises to everyone who believes.
instead of emptying- i find God filling me with his sprirt.
helps me get through everyday life.
and helps me exhibit a life of worship.
yoga is awesome, and i just started this thread to see if anyone else is experiencing Gods help through yoga like i am.

peace out
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-29 8:01 PM (#4971 - in reply to #4970)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Jesus Christ

Nope.
But I think it's fabulous you are!

I kind of look at the god thing like a romance. And a yoga asana, for that matter: The more one seeks, the fast it runs.

I figure it it happens, I'll just be surprised and run with it.
I'm grateful that yoga does not honor an external god, but is monastic. It helps a lot of people come to yoga, which can definitely enhance the spiritual aspect of their faith without conflict.

Interesting question.

Christine
vero
Posted 2004-03-29 10:13 PM (#4980 - in reply to #4970)

Well, I believe we are all God and when we connect with our spirit we connect to God. Yoga helps us connects with our true self.

Vero
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-30 2:44 PM (#5004 - in reply to #4970)

That's great that you are having such a spiritual experience with your yoga. It is certainly a much different type of experience than what one gets through organized religion, so much more personal without all the dogma and trappings of "religion".

I think it's very important for us all to recognize that we (the human race) are all "one" and interconnected. In doing that, we need to be tolerant and respectful of people of different faiths. I think yoga and meditation can be applied to most any faith.

Have you read any of the information available that compares the sayings of Jesus to those of Buddha? It's really facinating. I have no idea what that similarity means - one can only wonder.

Namaste

Posted 2004-03-30 6:26 PM (#5011 - in reply to #4970)

I invoke th Lord's name every practice--asking him to help me get through it primarily.

adroitragedy - 2004-03-29 6:57 PM

word.

i have always had trouble connecting with God through practical christian biblical teachings. it just isnt easy for me to get on my knees and pray or to exhibit a life of worship. this past year i have done yoga to help myself focus on God.
i find that with simple asanas and meditation on a basis of fundamental yoga stuff, i recieve complete restoration in Jesus Christ and the holy spirit he promises to everyone who believes.
instead of emptying- i find God filling me with his sprirt.
helps me get through everyday life.
and helps me exhibit a life of worship.
yoga is awesome, and i just started this thread to see if anyone else is experiencing Gods help through yoga like i am.

peace out
vero
Posted 2004-03-30 7:11 PM (#5015 - in reply to #5004)

Kathy, I agree with you about human being all "one". And I think the reason Budda and Jesus teachings are similar is because they taught about spirituality, not about religion. If you ask me organized religion has nothing to do with spirituality.
Vero
yep
Posted 2004-04-01 2:46 AM (#5050 - in reply to #4970)

yep. for me its all about relationship-

Jesus yelled at the religiousity of the biblical period, and we should too. God does not want us to make him dogmatic, he would much rather see us employ the gift of life in everyday ways as well as sprituality. i believe in Jesus and I follow his teachings as well as the law of the old testament, but without faith and relationshp it is all for vain.

i am happy that i am able to use yoga as a catalyst for God to move inside of me.
yo
Posted 2004-05-12 10:34 AM (#6273 - in reply to #4970)

I have done many a researches, on yoga. And the backround of it has nothing to do with God!n Although it is very relaxing don't confuse it for something spiritual connected with Christ. Of course there are people that have changed some things or idea of yoga to make it useable with christian beliefs ! , because of the cultural similarities between Modern Hinduism and Mehrgarh, a neolithic settlement (in what is now Afghanistan). In fact, much of Hinduism's ideas, rituals and symbols of today appear to have their roots in this shamanistic culture of Mehrgahr. Soo as u can see it has nothing to do with God. ALthough it has very good relaxing and healthy praticalness to it.c
Bye
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-12 10:44 AM (#6274 - in reply to #4970)

Hey Buddy Yo: I respect you, but you need a little correction. a) it is not true that Yoga has not much to do with God, as per your research. Refer to Patanjali Yoga Aphorisms, Chapter 1: Isvarapranidhanad Va. Va here does not mean OR as it is translated by many, especially Western Translators. Sanskrit has contextual meaning. Va here means ONLY. Thus, the aphorism means ONLY by surrender to the Will of God, one attains Samadhi, which is the main topic of the first Chapter.

b) The problem is caused by the fact that people define God as per their background. Patanjali has defined God, just following the above mentioned aphorism. Almost all definitions of God inYoga and Hindu are Non Sectarian, meaning NON fanatic. So, that way Yoga and Hinduism look separated, and also Yoga and God may look separated. In fanatic Christianity, God is equated to Jesus Christ or whatever related stuff. There is NO question that this is Wrong, because God existed before and shall exist forever. Also, this has created many an inhuman instances in the entire world as can be seen even today.

c) As for the original questioner: You are truely blessed to have a Spiritual Experience in Yoga. Please continue it with an open ness to evolve more. May the True God bless you.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
afroyogi
Posted 2004-05-12 3:49 PM (#6294 - in reply to #4970)

Hi and welcome adroitragedy in our little cuddly community of virtual yogis.

I have absolutely no clue about any religions or gods in any way. So I also had no experiences with finding god in that sense. If you could restore your believe in christ good for you!

That said I must admit that since I'm doing yoga I feel much more alive, more aware of myself, of nature, of faith and all that. Also I feel very thankful just for the fact to be alive. I don't take many things for granted anymore and are more open for spiritual concepts. If there is anybody responsible for all that (life and stuff) I would love to go down on my knees and thank him personally. But since I haven't figured out yet, whoever I have to thank for that gift I just leave it
jesus chick
Posted 2005-02-02 11:58 PM (#15983 - in reply to #4970)
Subject: Yoga and Jesus Christ

This message is to those who believe that you can recieve a higher state of consciousness by blocking out thoughts, people, and your surroundings through meditation. The ONLY way to combat the pressures of life is to have a personal relationship with the LORD, JESUS CHRIST!! There are many of you who believe in HIM but deny the power that HE has. Let me let u know that HE is that only true and mighty power that we must rely on to get through this life. Of course there are going to be trials, sorrows and troubles but if we take our problems to the SON OF THE TRUE AND LIVING GOD, we WILL have the peace that passes all understanding. BELIEVE ME. GOD AND JESUS, who are one in the same, have changed my life. I was a weed-smoking, homosexual. But thanks be to the MOST HIGH that I don't have to be high!!!
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-03 2:55 AM (#15988 - in reply to #15983)

I respect all your ideas but I don’t believe in any Gods.! But I believe in myself and my mind., If I can improve my mind I can achieve lot of things . If not. No way. I think God is just a Matrix.

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-03 6:27 AM (#15995 - in reply to #4970)

I am very eager to hear more feedback from Christian yogis & yoginis as to how your practice relates to and strengthens your faith. I am not a Christian (I believe there's a higher power, but I don't relate to any particular organized religion), but I teach in a very STRONG Christian community. I'm nervous discussing the spiritual aspects in class because some still fear yoga is some "weird religion" that they must subscribe to in order to do the asanas. Better to let them discover the spiritual benefits on their own? I want to show them that yoga strengthens one's faith no matter what the belief system, but I don't want to scare anyone off by sounding like a new-age whacko!

Please, please share your thoughts on this!
tourist
Posted 2005-02-03 9:52 AM (#16012 - in reply to #15983)

Expert Yogi

>>blocking out thoughts, people, and your surroundings through meditation.<<

See, this is where things go so very wrong. What is described in this post is NOT meditation! It is not helpful to anyone to criticize a practice one has no personal knowledge or apparetnly even a basic understanding of. And it is important to know that (and this has been discussed here before) there are highly respected and valid methods of meditation in Christian traditions. In fact, I believe the phrase >>the peace that passes all understanding<< was used to describe the experience of Christian meditation. It would really, really help this sad world if everyone had a more solid understanding of their own religion.

>>have a personal relationship with the LORD<< This may be the right answer for you, but please do not presume to know what is best for me or anyone else.

And I must ask, since you say you were once a weed smoking homosexual and now you don't have to be high anymore, are you still a homosexual? And if not, please let us know how that works out for you...
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-02-03 10:22 AM (#16014 - in reply to #15995)

Ok. Warning: Small essay follows:

But first...
Bless your soul, Jesus Chick. I'm glad you've found something in which to place your faith. Make certain you're not replacing one addiction with another.

Jesus Chick, you've fallen prey to one of the sad assumptions people new to a faith or activity often make. What makes you assume that anyone here or practicing yoga doesn't have a relationship with the LORD? Just because you recently came to that particular belief, don't assume others weren't already there or ever actually lost their faith. You're a newbie to this, girlie. Don't presume. Check your doctrine, your delivery, and your assumptions.

Since I've seldom met people as judgmental and condemning as born again or late coming Christians, reformed smokers or people who discover exercise late in life, I will wish you the best and frankly, hope you leave others with your ideas, vs. battering them with your newly-found faith. Dearheart, even the church (yes, EVEN) uses meditation to grow closer to God. Why do you think Moses was in the desert, for example? Why do saints, yes Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Shamanistic, Shinto and Islamic ones, spent time in caves or away from society? Remove themselves from earthly distractions such as indulgence in sex, food, and other small pleasures? Some even work their bodies into that state of ecstasy that self-flagellation brings. Yes, even followers of Christ. Before you preach, learn.

Now....
As far as how to discuss yoga in relation to any faith? It can be tough when religious leaders are screaming that yoga is a distraction or a path to downfall. I teach at an El Salvadorian clinic, where the ladies asked to have a class so we could discuss this. I was a little apprehensive, but it worked out to be very interesting.

My own statements are that although yoga is a method the Hindu faith uses to calm the body for the study of God (meditation), yoga itself does not recognize an external God, which is why the church(es) preach that yoga is a bad thing.

However, I do remind them that like the church(es), yoga teaches us to believe in the God/Spirit of the Divine within. Yoga teaches us to follow rules for living or "commandments", which in the form of yamas and niyamas, are simply the 10 commandments of Moses with different wording. Given the fact that the practice of yoga is believed to have been around for 6000 years, it's not a far stretch to think that young faiths such as Christianity and all its sects have actually expanded upon and adopted those initially passed along from the Hindu faith. And don't forget that Hinduism has its roots in Buddhism, just as Christianity stems from the Islamic and Jewish faiths. Anyway, every organized faith has their rules for living, as does yoga. Yoga and organized faiths simply ask you to try to live a good life and do the right thing while caring for others before ourselves.

I had one young lady, a med student, tell me she couldn't do yoga because her priest told her yoga practitioners were trying to steal her soul. I laughed kind of sadly, and told her I was having enough trouble taking care of my own soul, what would I ever do with another? I also asked if she felt threatened when I centered, asking them to think good thoughts (vs. saying 'prayers') for someone or the universe out there? She said slowly "nooooo..." I simply stated that yoga is a wonderful method to stretch, to calm the body while equalizing the energies in the body for easier movement and better health, and a way to release tension and stress so we could focus on things that were actually important in the scope of life. If that happened to be then prayers to her spiritual leader, Jesus, Buddha or working out a grocery list? Hopefully she could then do it with better clarity and a more pure intention, since she might no longer be distracted with the worries of the day.

So it's important to be sensitive to the fears né ignorance perpetuated by those who really don't know. Anything that might take revenue or attendance away from a collection plate also worries struggling churches. That doesn't have to be our issue, since we can comfortably encourage people to honor their spiritual path while doing something good for their bodies and mind. Yoga doesn't have to be anyone's spiritual path, given the fact that Yoga, in the form of asana, is not a spiritual path.

I had a friend who was going to teach in a Baptist church here in DC. There was a lot of hoo-ha about tolerating yoga in the church. She had to meet with the Church council first. Their initial question was, "So, Gayle. What God do you believe in?"
She responded, surprised (she said), and said, "Why, I thought there was only one!?"
The yoga classes were held with full endorsement of the council. I think she might have given them a small boot in the butt to have more confidence in their own faith! If you fear other faiths' Gods or teachings, doesn't that indicate a small crack in your own belief system? I digress.

My point is that we can't go out there trying to beat down others' fears, but we can lead by gentle example. If someone wants to close their eyes and say a prayer, hail Mary, or even Om "Ahhhhhmen" instead? Why not? OTOH, "In the beginning there was the Word and the word was ...?"

But don't fight the tide. Incorporate what makes your students feel comfortable, because yoga is not a threat unless we try to pound someone with our own ideas and spiritual path, such as Jesus Chick has come to share with us. Christianity, in theory and origin is a lovely, all-encompassing faith. It's only men and how it's been twisted over the years that has caused it to become judgmental, EXcluding and d@mning. Think how we react when we find missionaries at our door? We're not that, yoga's not that, and Christianity can evangelize wherever it wants. Sorry. I digress again.

Simply teach from the heart. Be gentle with your students' concerns. Encourage them to discuss them in class. Be open. Be tolerant. Be a gentle example of acceptance and caring for other human beings. Most of all, and pardon the pun, be flexible with how you address the concerns you encounter.

Edited by YogaDancer 2005-02-03 10:39 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-02-03 10:37 AM (#16020 - in reply to #16014)

Expert Yogi

As always, well put Christine. Thank goodness (or the god of your choice...) someone here can type faster than me and give more complete replies! Just a small note, I think you might have the Hindu/Buddhist connection backwards - isn't it Buddhism growing out of Hinduism? I am trying to remember Neel's generous teachings....

I LOVE your story about your friend Gayle!!! Good for her and GOOD for that church for being open minded. Perhaps there is some hope in this world after all
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-02-03 10:49 AM (#16022 - in reply to #16020)

:lol
Tourist you could be right. My head is spinning with these darned taxes. I got an extension to post by tomorrow, but I'm still whirling.
I was also trying to post calmly without showing the disgust I still feel.
I hope I was able to accomplish at leat that!

And I do type quickly. Just give me a glass of wine and watch that speed double, too. All while preforming brain surgery, of course.

c.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-03 11:41 AM (#16029 - in reply to #16020)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-02-03 10:37 AM

Just a small note, I think you might have the Hindu/Buddhist connection backwards - isn't it Buddhism growing out of Hinduism? I am trying to remember Neel's generous teachings....

Some will tell you that Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu.

So far as god and yoga, I think of god as Ishwara but I often focus on his form as Shiva.
Shiva was the author of yoga, after all, and I never practice without acknowledging the
gift.

MichaelJ
Posted 2005-02-03 12:49 PM (#16030 - in reply to #4970)

"just as Christianity stems from the Islamic and Jewish faiths."

I think it would be more correct to say that Christianity and Islam stem from Judaism.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all derived (in that temporal order) from Abraham (Ibrahim), who lived around 1500-2000 (BCE). Each of those religions acknowledges the same God, the God of Abraham. The name of God is given, in the Bible, as: I am. People, from those religions, pronounce that, spell it, or give it appellation differently, depending on language: Yahweh, Elohim, Lord, God, Allah.

Abraham was married to Sarah and had a son Isaac. Abraham also had another son, Ishmael, out of legal wedlock, by his mistress, Hagar. Isaac and Ishmael are then half-brothers. Jesus is said to be descended from Abraham thru Isaac, and, Mohammed to be descended from Abraham thru Ishmael. Jesus and Mohammed both are considered prophets according to Islam.

Christianity started with Jesus (30 CE) and Islam started with Mohammed (600 CE). Christianity and Islam in one sense are religious siblings.
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-02-03 1:09 PM (#16031 - in reply to #16030)

Thank you, MichaelJ, for being able to speak more intelligently about this, and in a less riled fasion.
I must admit that my religious education in Christianity is (spare me the PC hoo-ha when I say this) tainted by my very fundamental Episcopalian background. Although I did have religion classes in the 70s to complete a history degree, they were not in Western religions.

I think, however, my point is that there are other faiths that walk the same path, long before Christianity came on the scene. "different" does not mean "wrong." Right?

Christine
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-03 1:23 PM (#16032 - in reply to #4970)

Christine, thank you for putting all that so well!

That reminded me of a cute story. When I first moved to my uber-conservative god-fearing town, I was volunteering at an art fair. Somehow the city had scheduled a local church's "Christian Men's Breakfast" in the same park on the same day, and the artists (being a bunch of long-haired liberal free spirits, of course) were very concerned about what this group was going to think. Halfway through the day, the man in charge of the Men's Breakfast asked to speak with the person in charge of the art fair. The artist was shaking in his shoes, ready for some kind of verbal combat. And it turned out that all he wanted to say was "I hope the city will schedule us together again next year, that way we can bring enough breakfast for everyone and help you set up!"

We had no problems with the men or their religion, but we pre-judged them simply based on our fear of THEM judging US - which they weren't doing! Talk about a lesson learned!
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-02-03 1:59 PM (#16034 - in reply to #16031)

Just shows to go 'ya that we're all human and full of foibles.
All great works teach us not to pass judgement, because who are we, right?
Guess that's a tough one to learn!

Christine
MrD
Posted 2005-02-03 8:37 PM (#16048 - in reply to #4970)

Christian messages can make powerful yoga mantras

Beth Nielsen Chapman's Hymns album has a wonderful song that can be used by all faiths.

It simply repeats the phrase

Dona Nobis Pachem, Pachem.

Let us be grateful for the gift of peace.

Edited by MrD 2005-02-03 8:38 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-03 10:35 PM (#16050 - in reply to #16048)

Expert Yogi

I think that it translates simply as "Give us peace":

Dona (give...imperative tense) nobis (to us...genative case) pacem (peace)

but I'm reaching back through the years to my Latin.

Here's something similar in Sanskrit:

Mangala murti maruta nandana
Sakala amangala mulani kandana

It referes to Hanuman..."Embodiment of mercy, born of the wind
pull up our sorrows, by the root and bulb" roughly. (If anyone reading
can fine tune the translation, that would be great.) I love this chant.

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-03 11:09 PM (#16051 - in reply to #4970)

Dear Brother Bay Guy:

Translation with corrected wording, requested by you is at the bottom.

But, to suppliment what you wrote about Buddha, Vishnu, and Ishwara.: Ishwara is the all pervading God Hood which is formless in the Potentiality and becomes perceptible through the nature as multitude. All pervading means - visham (universe) vyapnoti (pervades) iti (qualified as). vishwam vyapnoti it VishnuH that is same as Vishnu. Vishnu is the ONE godhood which is same as Allah or God in Christianity.

Therefore, all major full incarnations in India are Vishnu coming down in a human form to help others. The Buddha the Gautama was the 9th one, and then Kalanki the 10th will be last in this Cycle of creation.

Brahma (NOT brahman, which is the formless reality) and Shiva are the aspect of Vishnu. So, as such Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are the trinity aspect of the same God hood.

The Aspect Shiva of Vishnu is one which is origin of Yoga Science.

Now, coming to your chant:

mangalamoorati marutananadana
sakala amangalamoolanikandana

mangala - auspicious,
murti - one with the form
maruta - God Wind (same as prakritilaya in Patanjali, the one with samadhi who joined the nature)
nandana - son
sakala - the entire
amangala - inauspicious or harmful
moola - root
nikandana - distroyer

I am sure you can make the entire translation with this.

Neel
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)