YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

missed period since started bikram?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

concerned
Posted 2004-03-30 5:28 PM (#5010)
Subject: missed period since started bikram?

i have been practicing bikram yoga for the last 2 months about avg of 3 times per week. i have not had my period since i started practicing. aside from that problem i have never felt better - more energy, more relaxed, better sleep, etc. - in my life. i consulted my doctor and she said that my body would probably just adjust to the increase in exercise soon, and not to be concerned since my preg. tests came back negative. she said i didn't need to give up practicing, but to wait and see what happens this month and hopefully my body will have adjusted by then.

i LOVE bikram, but i'm concerned. if your body is not functioning as it should, that seems to be a red flag to me. i have always thought that women who exercised to the point of missing their periods were going overboard. i do not do yoga to lose weight - in fact i would like to gain some. i have a pretty petite/thin build. perhaps i have just not ramped up my diet enough to accommodate the increase in exercise?

curious if any women out there have had similar experiences. i would hate to give up bikram or even cut back on the practice that really makes me feel so great - but i do have some serious concerns. thoughts? thanks in advance for your feedback!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-30 8:45 PM (#5020 - in reply to #5010)
Subject: RE: missed period since started bikram?

Hi! I teach Bikram yoga and I haven't had any of my female students mention the cessation of menses. I can ask around, though.

I would guess that this has more to do with your increase in activity rather than the particular type of yoga you are doing. The postures are classic postures -- nothing terribly out of the ordinary there -- so really, you're talking about heat affecting your cycle. Seems unlikely. I think by discussing it with your doctor you've taken the best measure of precaution.

Anyone else have comments? Maybe our resident accupuncture/Bikram student has some ideas?
concerned
Posted 2004-04-13 6:05 PM (#5357 - in reply to #5010)

Hi Cats Mom - thanks for your feedback. My period came back so perhaps it was just coincidental and possibly unrelated to yoga, as I have maintained my 2-3 times a week practice.
l
I appreciate your comments - thanks again!
Bitty Miyr
Posted 2004-04-25 1:20 PM (#5680 - in reply to #5010)

Just to let you know, my cycle changed once I started bikram as well....I was usually fairly regular but I set back to a 6 week schedule and it really worried me!! I was taking home pregnancy tests and worrying for nothing, it has been 3 months now for me and now I just flow with it!!!
ryan
Posted 2004-05-11 1:18 PM (#6229 - in reply to #5680)

the funny thing is that my period had always been sooo irregular, but as soon as i started Bikram i GOT my period and it's been regular ever since. i guess the increase in activity did the opposite for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)