YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

article in the newyork time 3/30
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

jean
Posted 2004-03-31 10:42 PM (#5048)
Subject: article in the newyork time 3/30

anyone have any views on the article in the new york times on March 30th?
I would like to know whether the statement made about the heat level above your body temperature? Is there a concern? Overexerting joints and muscles in the heat can be bad??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mtina63
Posted 2004-04-02 8:57 PM (#5087 - in reply to #5048)
Subject: RE: article in the newyork time 3/30

Jean

I did not read the article, but I did try a Bikram class a couple of times and never went back. The heat was to intense and it felt very unhealthy for me. I don't see how everyone can tolerate it and love it. But I guess to each their own.

Tina

Posted 2004-04-03 8:23 AM (#5093 - in reply to #5048)

Jean,
I live in south Texas and half of the year the ambient temperature is higher than a body's temperature. Anyoutside activity is then done in a Bikram, if not worse, environment. Indeed perhaps half the world is similar. When I started Bikram in August, the studio was actually cooler and drier than the outside. The Times article just alerts you to be cautious.

jean - 2004-03-31 9:42 PM

anyone have any views on the article in the new york times on March 30th?
I would like to know whether the statement made about the heat level above your body temperature? Is there a concern? Overexerting joints and muscles in the heat can be bad??
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-04 7:05 PM (#5114 - in reply to #5048)

There are a lot of points I agree with on that article.
The temperature thing is relative, but you must remember that most Bikram people are beginners and will follow a teacher's word to the letter, to the best of their ability and as hard as they can.

Telling someone to "lock the standing leg" for example, is a sure fire way to ascertain someone hypermobile hyper extends their knee = stress on the joint.
The external heat fools people who aren't flexible into pushing things they're not ready to do. The wild health claims Bikram makes on his site as "cures" would have the medical profession prosecuted for malpractice. Unfortunately ...

All in all, in MY opinion, Bikram is NOT for beginners. Heat or no heat, someone should know how to take responsibility for their body and practice in the face of maybe-trained teachers and a potentially grueling practice. Beginners just do not know how to do this. Period.

Posted 2004-04-04 8:00 PM (#5122 - in reply to #5114)

If you are going to ignore Christine's advice and go tp Bikram as a first time exposee to yoga, quiz your instructors as to their credentials and remember, you are a paying customer--just because it's a yoga studio does not negate that you're paying for a service. If the teachers cannot respond to your questions--take your money and tell 'em goodnight and goodluck.

YogaDancer - 2004-04-04 6:05 PM

There are a lot of points I agree with on that article.
The temperature thing is relative, but you must remember that most Bikram people are beginners and will follow a teacher's word to the letter, to the best of their ability and as hard as they can.

Telling someone to "lock the standing leg" for example, is a sure fire way to ascertain someone hypermobile hyper extends their knee = stress on the joint.
The external heat fools people who aren't flexible into pushing things they're not ready to do. The wild health claims Bikram makes on his site as "cures" would have the medical profession prosecuted for malpractice. Unfortunately ...

All in all, in MY opinion, Bikram is NOT for beginners. Heat or no heat, someone should know how to take responsibility for their body and practice in the face of maybe-trained teachers and a potentially grueling practice. Beginners just do not know how to do this. Period.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)