YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good in-between video?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

shan
Posted 2004-04-01 7:13 PM (#5064)
Subject: Good in-between video?

I've been doing -- and loving -- David Swenson's Short Forms. I've tried other yoga tapes/styles, and nothing excites me as much as his tapes. I can get through the 45 minute session fine, minus the headstand. Will I be able to get through his Primary Series, which is 90 minutes, or is there another ashtanga DVD more in between the two?

TIA!

Edited by shan 2004-04-01 7:14 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
amechan
Posted 2004-04-08 8:36 PM (#5240 - in reply to #5064)
Subject: RE: Good in-between video?

Hi Shan, I am by no means an expert, but I can offer my opinion. I, too, love David Swenson's Short Forms and used that to prepare for Primary Series (which, I suspect, I will be working on for a long, long time...). I think you should go for it, and stop when you reach a pose that you can't do comfortably. Or perhaps use his modifications (that's one thing I really like about him). Although not ashtanga, Brian Kest's 1995 3-tape series is not too bad - they are all about 55 minutes long. Best wishes!
amechan
Posted 2004-04-09 8:09 AM (#5246 - in reply to #5240)

Oops...added the Kest recommendation, but realized which forum I was in. Do you have access to a studio? For a while, I was relying on videos but decided I'd better find a teacher before injuring myself or picking up bad habits. Not that you would or have, but it has definitely deepened my practice!
Posted 2004-04-09 9:20 AM (#5248 - in reply to #5246)

No prob about the Bryan Kest recommendation -- I've actually been using some of his videos to get me in better shape!

As for the studio...there's only one in town that teaches Ashtanga. I took classes there for a while, but I felt the teachers there were too aggressive in adjusting me/pushing further than what I was capable of.

But I think I will take your advice and just jump in the Swenson video. He's very respectful of where one is at, while gently nudging you to the next step. Thanks for the advice! Namaste
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-09 6:32 PM (#5273 - in reply to #5064)

Ashtanga adjustments are always aggressive. That's the nature of the beast.

It's called "taking responsibility for your practice" and nothing will teach you that like Ashtanga. You need to know it's OK to say out loud, "That's it for me." They have no intention or reason to hurt you. If you say stop, they do.

If you get someone who forgets and lets ego get in the way (I WILL get him in that pose!), get louder. "I said STOP!"

Don't give up on a teacher, given you had reason to be adjusted in the first place. That tells me right there you need one. No one has a better eye than someone watching you from the outside.

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)