YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Debilitating Headaches
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

msbdz
Posted 2004-04-02 2:26 PM (#5076)
Subject: Debilitating Headaches

I have been practicing Bikram Yoga on and off for over two years. I love everything about it. But sometimes right after the class I wake up in the middle of the night with the absolute worst headaches. Every time I move my head it gets worse, and it lasts about 24 hours. Nothing helps with the headaches either, no amounts of Tylenol, Advil, Aleve can help. I drink plenty of water during the day before/during/after class, typically I drink Smart Water with electrolytes in it. Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone offer any suggestions of what I can do to properly prepare for class? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-04-02 4:20 PM (#5080 - in reply to #5076)
Subject: RE: Debilitating Headaches

Sounds like you're doing everything you should do to avoid headaches escept, maybe eating. I have no appetite after Bikram and sometimes don't eat--I get a headache on those occasions.

msbdz - 2004-04-02 1:26 PM

I have been practicing Bikram Yoga on and off for over two years. I love everything about it. But sometimes right after the class I wake up in the middle of the night with the absolute worst headaches. Every time I move my head it gets worse, and it lasts about 24 hours. Nothing helps with the headaches either, no amounts of Tylenol, Advil, Aleve can help. I drink plenty of water during the day before/during/after class, typically I drink Smart Water with electrolytes in it. Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone offer any suggestions of what I can do to properly prepare for class? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-04 7:21 PM (#5117 - in reply to #5076)
Subject: RE: Debilitating Headaches

Now, you know this is off the cuff, since I have no idea about you or your practice strengths or weaknesses, right?

Your description of the pain and it's nonresponsiveness to pain killers sounds to me like you've been putting too much pressure on your neck, causing a cranial or cervical spine torc. Rabbit, shoulderstand, halasana (or things up on the back of your neck where you've turned your head inappropriately) or headstand are prime candidates for this. Aggravating it would be twists.

I'd strongly recommend you find someone versed in cranial/sacral work to take a look at this. Second best would be a chiropractor. I think you're getting the headaches when you're asleep is because you're muscles holding your head to compensate for some pinch or injury are releasing, permitting the nerves to freak.

Essentially, the nerve from the back of the skull that 'wanders' down the body is called the Vargas Nerve. It's commonly pinched in yoga from someone turning their head while there's pressure on it. It can be as severe as mimicking heart attack to the migraine-like headaches you're experincing.

Many Bikram teachers don't recognize the possibility of this danger and don't know to tell people how to use their heads wisely in asana. Your hydration has nothing to do with it.

I hope you feel better.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)