YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

coming up from backbends
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

lotushoney
Posted 2004-04-04 8:38 AM (#5102)
Subject: coming up from backbends

I have recently been able to drop back into backbends after years of practice. However, after gonig down, I cannot get back up into standing. Has anyone got any useful tips or advice ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-04-04 6:13 PM (#5106 - in reply to #5102)
Subject: RE: coming up from backbends

Is it a total inability to come back up or a pain that prevents it? I have a lot of the latter and really have to come up slowly breathing evenly--then going forward right from that--woo hoo does that give me a zing.

lotushoney - 2004-04-04 7:38 AM

I have recently been able to drop back into backbends after years of practice. However, after gonig down, I cannot get back up into standing. Has anyone got any useful tips or advice ?
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-04 6:44 PM (#5111 - in reply to #5102)

You need to rock onto your feet, do NOT splay your feet and stress the tendons in your knee.
Come on up to your fingertips, rock onto your feet, and push off with your hands.

Let your hands and head come up last, without swinging them down to your sides first. They need to come up over your head the way they went down as to not whack out your rotator cuff.

chutarunga
Posted 2004-04-23 10:15 AM (#5596 - in reply to #5102)

...and, if possible, keep the quadriceps strong, the low belly engaged, and the tailbone tucked under (to protect the low back). Focus on using the legs, the low belly (uddiyana bandha), and the thoracic region of the UPPER back (behind the heart) to get you up.....

sometimes dropping back near a wall, and then slowly walking ones hand s up the wall (while focusing on the above, and what yogidancer said) can be a good starting point....
gogirl58
Posted 2004-06-14 3:33 AM (#7441 - in reply to #5596)

Extreme Veteran

I recently heard from someone who was seeing a healer, that coming up from a backbend and then going into a forward bent can cause slipped discs? Any opinions about this and how to prevent it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-14 12:45 PM (#7454 - in reply to #5102)

About Coming up: Legs must be so strong that while coming up, only the flexibility of body above the waist is used. If it is not flexible, it should be made so. The legs should not become unstable at all. If they do, make them very strong.

About Slip Disc: During the backbend and forwardbend and on the way, keep the spinal cord stretched throughout, which is NOT a joke. But, that is the solution.

Neel KUlkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-06-21 10:38 PM (#7709 - in reply to #5102)

As Yogadancer says, coming back up is easier if you do it as a dynamic movement,
begun with a rock. You need to keep the strength of the lift in the legs
and let the upper body follow as a response to what's happening in the legs and hips.

It is actually easier to come up by lifting one hand at a time into namaste, but this
is, well, bad form.
yogageek
Posted 2004-06-23 11:15 AM (#7739 - in reply to #5102)

just breathe and picture yourselfs standing up. there has to be rhythem w/the breath. most of the strength is in your legs - i find it helpful to root down through the balls of my feet.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-23 10:23 PM (#7757 - in reply to #5102)

Since the Bay Guy already said this, let me make a blanket statement which once I gave 1.5 hour of TEacher Training class to prove.

In Yoga a dynamic move ment is always easier than static. This means the faster you do the Sun Saltutations, they become easier, and the slower you do them they get harder. Of course, this applies when you are trying to do them almost perfectly. Try this.

Coming up from backbend dynamically is NOT a solution, but an easier process. So, in a way it is a solution. But, with the time, you can reduce the speed, and then adjust whatever speed you want.

The whole Ashtanga Series when done the slowest possible speed, with breathing smooth and slow, and then holding on a pose for comfortable maximum becomes Harder. Please Try this.

Let me make another blanket statement from the Authentic Yoga: Therapeutics when done using Yoga become best only in Static Poses, not dynamic poses. Of course, dynamic poses have their own advantages, which are possible only when one is already strong and Athletic.

Best Luck.
Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)