YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Doug Keller's Anusara Book
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-05 4:15 PM (#5147)
Subject: Doug Keller's Anusara Book

So, I ordered Doug Keller's book on Anusara Yoga which I received last Friday. I started reading it - Good Grief!! It seems extremely technical, not what I was expecting. He says that it is much easier to demonstrate the principles rather than writing about them which I'm sure must be true. Otherwise, I can't imagine people remembering all those concepts about spirals, loops and which tiny muscle you are using when.

I'm looking for some practical advice as to what the classes are really like before I spend my time and money taking a 4 - session introductory class???? Where does the spiritual aspect come in??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-06 9:39 PM (#5190 - in reply to #5147)
Subject: RE: Doug Keller's Anusara Book

Kathy Ann, you are right. His book begins in a very technical fashion. You didn't mention the title, but I'm willing to bet you got the one about asana. It's a great book, so please don't be discouraged.

The loops and spirals actually make perfect sense -- IF you have a teacher there to help you put them into your body and muscles. Many of my posts here, when discussing asana, are using those loops and spirals without using those words.

For example:
Ankle loop = put weight into the balls of your feet.
Shin loop = microbend your knees (micro = invisible, and usually comes automatically with ankle loop)
Inner Spiral = Stick your butt out to give your upper thighs an innter rotation .. or spiral.
Pelvic loop = Tuck your tailbone or draw your abs in and up, which will tuck your tailbone for you.
Kidney loop = (the hardest) it usually comes automatically with pelvic loop, but we lose it quickly. Look down at your heart and your back will fill out.
Shoulder loop = lift your shoulders up and back and let your shoulderblades glide down your ribcage. Now, look down at your heart because you've probably lost kidneys!
Skull loop = take your ears back over your shoulders, with a teensey lift to the back of the skull -- not the chin.

So there you have it in English vs. metaphors.

The spiritual level is difficult to write about. It's in the presentation, the languaging, the acceptance, the approval, the support and the Anusara community. It's not a solitary yoga like Bikram with a teacher yelling at you, nor Ashtanga where you practice silently. It's group energy, laughter, cheering when someone gets something, and permission to do what's right for your body. It's in the attitude. It really put the beauty back into my practice, which is Ashtanga.

Invest in the 4 week course. For goodness sake, it's only 4 weeks! Plus, it'll dramatically change your Bikram practice for the healthier. Look, girlie. If I can invest in Bikram for 12 weeks, 3x a week so I can speak more knowledgably about it? What's 4 weeks. Besides that, the best teachers can draw from many yoga traditions and methods, and translate from school to school when they get a new student with other experience.

Knowing your posts, I think you'll enjoy it.

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-07 9:35 PM (#5209 - in reply to #5147)

I totally agree with Christine -- Anusara has really improved my Bikram practice. Watch out, though -- you might find you like it even better. I did!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-08 3:25 PM (#5225 - in reply to #5147)

Thanks ladies for your responses. I'm just a wee bit obsessive about doing research and reading what's available regarding any activity that I attempt. And I also happen to be quite a bibliophile - both a collector of books as well as an avid reader.

I probably will take the intro classes and, in the mean time, I am just skimming through the book and reading some of it. It seems to be much more of a reference manual than a book you would read cover to cover and will probably be more useful after I have taken the intro classes. I am surprised that with all the detail he goes into that he didn't provide diagrams and/or descriptions of the asanas one would do in a typical, beginning Anusara class, or is there no such thing as a "typical" Anusara class. I know he gives examples of a few asanas to demonstrate points he is trying to make but that is all I have seen so far in the book. I think that is what I was most disappointed in about the book.

Christine - I think the full title of the book is "Anusara Yoga - Hatha Yoga in the Anusara Style"
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-08 4:00 PM (#5227 - in reply to #5147)

I'm a bibliophile as well, Kathy Ann. My husband, who can lift and throw a refrigerator, almost cried when we moved and 90% of our boxes were my (heavy) books. What he didn't know is I donated car loads of magazines and other books to the library store!

Anyway.
The Anusara "Bible" is the Anusara Teacher Training Manual. It does not have pictures of asanas, either. However, there are classes and what should be taught to what level in the back for planning. Since Anusara is so much more than just asana, you get a good hit of philosophy, history, etc.

Doug Keller's books tend to compliment that manual. You are correct in that it will be much clearer after the introductory course. I'd take it with me and ask questions, although there's no guarantee your immersion person (they're called "Anusara Immersions") will have read it. S/he should have, though.

If you have any questions about an asana's variation, since they're so different than Bikram's, as me. Chances are I have a photo of it either in my yet-to-be-uploaded collection, or it's already on my site.

I have read the book, but I do use it as a reference, vs. something juicy to sit down and read. I also take the spiral ring out of it, 3-hole punch it, and put it in a binder. Then I can add notebook pages for notes without marking up my pages for things that are illuminating now and obvious later. We do tend to grow when we read, right?

One thing I find obnoxious and annoying? Friend and Keller keep putting out new editions. Rather than a new book, they put out the same darned thing with some pages changed. Sure, they can keep growing, too, but I'd rather Book I, Book II, etc. Just me.

What area are you in, Kathy Ann? If you told me, I've forgotten. I might know your Anusara studio people.

Christine
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-08 6:04 PM (#5236 - in reply to #5147)

Christine,

The studio I am planning to attend is in Scottsdale, Arizona. Their website is yogavillage.net. They call their course "Intro to Yoga" - 4 classes, one a week for 1 hr. 20 min. Certainly not too much of an investment of time on my part so I probably will try it.

So, do they usually do headstands, shoulder stands or handstands in beginning Anusara classes? (Please say no.) That is what put me off about yoga when I tried it back in the 70's. I think I could do a shoulder stand but not the other two.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-08 6:34 PM (#5237 - in reply to #5147)

I can pretty confidently say they will not. Particularly in such a short, intro course. They're usually Level II items, unless someone happens to get a very able beginner class. And don't forget, dearie. The 70s were the 70s. That puts you about as old as I am and I know I'm nothing but better, although I was a competative gymnast. And even though now my backbends are pretty much torture. Nonetheless, I'm BETTER! And so, probably, are you!

Something you'll also find different, is that you are invited not to do something that's not right for you at the moment. This moment, this day, this week, or maybe this year. It's not a spiel, so there's a lot of talking, but it's individualized to the class.

Remember, you'll be learning poses with different (traditional) names and variations pretty much completely other than Bikram's version. So do go into it with a seriously beginner's mind. The nice thing is that you're already strong and probably somewhat flexible, so you'll be ahead of the game. Interestingly enough, you might find yourself sore from concentrating on individual muscles, doing intricate work, vs STRETCH! PULL! REACH! FORWARD! BACKWARD!

I think it might throw you off a bit at first, but you'll enjoy it once you see how it changes/improves your Bikram practice. See, IMHO, one does not have to just do one type of yoga. Yoga is yoga and it all integrates to make us able to move more fluidly. I think the practices always compliment each other.

But that's just my opin-onion.

Christine
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-09 3:33 PM (#5257 - in reply to #5147)

Thanks Christine. It sounds pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'm prettty good about keeping an open mind. There is a new set of classes starting April 20 so I may sign up for that.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-09 5:38 PM (#5270 - in reply to #5147)

I await your experiences with great anticipation.
C.
Brenda
Posted 2004-04-20 1:28 PM (#5528 - in reply to #5236)

Hi Kathy Ann, I was just searcing around for a used copy of Doug Keller's book and came across this exchange. Yoga Village is owned by Martin and Jordon Kirk. I went on retreat w/ them in Sedona a few years back and found them both to be extroadinarily good teachers both w/ asana and the spiritual elements of yoga. They are Anusara certified and two of the most highly regarded teachers in the Phoenix area. I would study w/ them more regularly except it is quite a journey for me to go there from my part of the Valley. I have studied w/ a lot of Anusara teachers and teacher trainers and I am pretty sure the inversions you mentioned are not beginner level although I'd have to check my John Friend manual to be sure. You may do legs-up-the-wall (vpariti karani) and shoulderstand (sarvangasana), but Martin and Jordon have a way of teaching that really gets you there safely and in your own time. Enjoy. You'll love Martin and Jordon Kirk. PS-Doug Keller will be at Desert Song in Phx (www.adesertsong.com) April 30-May 2 doing a workshop. You could experience the loops and spirals w/ him firsthand
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-20 4:23 PM (#5538 - in reply to #5147)

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for the info. Good to hear from another Arizona person.
Actually, the instructor for the Intro class I will be taking is Paulette Bodeman (at least the first class which is tonight). But, if I like the Anusara style after completing the course and continue to take classes there, I imagine I will take a class from Martin or Jordan sometime. I had heard about Doug Keller being here but that may be a bit too advanced for me since I will only have 2 Intro classes by then. Maybe next time.

I do love my Bikram yoga which I have been doing for about 7 months now and have no intention of giving that up. Since I work full-time, I do have a limited amount of time to devote to yoga but I feel like a whole world of possibilities has opened since I began Bikram - so many types of yoga to explore! I'm looking forward to the new experience.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-25 5:34 PM (#5689 - in reply to #5147)

Kathy Ann,
Unless absolutely specified, Anusara workshops are taught for beginners. It's a frustration sometimes to more advanced students, as a matter of fact. So don't even think twice about attending Doug Keller's workshop. It would be too wonderful an opportunity to miss. He's a really gentle, funny spirit and you'd get so much out of it!

Have you been to your first Anusara class?

Christine
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-27 2:01 PM (#5750 - in reply to #5147)

OK Christine,

I am being brave - I signed up for the Friday evening session of the Doug Keller workshop. It says it's for all levels: Standing Poses and Forward Bends. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Yes, I did go to the first Intro class. Too soon for me to comment.........
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-27 3:27 PM (#5761 - in reply to #5147)

I think you'll have a really great time. Most of all, you'll probably enjoy the community (kula) of the Anusara group. That's a major focus of this yoga tradition, which I've been able to see working and enjoy all over the country.

Funny. No one is suggesting you ever give up your Bikram (although I secretly think it's for later, after "foundational" yoga), yet you're being drawn time and time again into something offering juuuuuust a bit more. Maybe kicking and screaming, but you're open to it and it's going to rub off on you!

So it goes. It all makes for a stronger, better practice!

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-27 5:20 PM (#5762 - in reply to #5750)

Kathy Ann -

I think you'll really like the workshop. I just finished one over the weekend and it was really fun. Like Christine said, great community. I know it is very different from the Bikram. You might not have that same sense of sweaty, exhausted exhiliration that you do after a Bikram class but with the mixed level workshop, you will definitely be challenged, sore and, in the end, quite blissful. You get to try things you haven't before, which is always fun

Posted 2004-04-27 7:33 PM (#5768 - in reply to #5761)

See that Guruette Christine--your wise counsel has aided us all in our search for yoga truth--I know I speak for many here in that we do really appreciate you taking the time to pass it on--even when you yell at us.

YogaDancer - 2004-04-27 2:27 PM

I think you'll have a really great time. Most of all, you'll probably enjoy the community (kula) of the Anusara group. That's a major focus of this yoga tradition, which I've been able to see working and enjoy all over the country.

Funny. No one is suggesting you ever give up your Bikram (although I secretly think it's for later, after "foundational" yoga), yet you're being drawn time and time again into something offering juuuuuust a bit more. Maybe kicking and screaming, but you're open to it and it's going to rub off on you!

So it goes. It all makes for a stronger, better practice!

Christine
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-27 9:11 PM (#5771 - in reply to #5147)

I'm glad.
All kinds of experiences just make us more well-rounded and understanding. We can pick and choose, laugh and groan, and scream, "NO WAY!"

I just think it's great to find you guys actually willing to think outside the Bikram box. It seems (in my experience) to be so narrow and my way or the highway, with so many buying into it, that so many miss out on a lot of interesting, fun stuff.

My next gig? A weekend long Sanskrit Institute workshop!

Christine

Posted 2004-04-28 5:05 AM (#5775 - in reply to #5771)

I have a daily Sanskrit workshop as a coworker (Dr. Ron) just revels in teaching me when he found out I was a yoga practitioner. Only trouble comes when he translates ancient parables into English...he just cracks up at the leson-to-be-learned endings but I think they're totally lost in translation. One was of a guru who was meditating for days in a cave with but a candle for light. After a time, a cobra slitered into the circle of light and the yogi quickly blew out the flame and said, "Don't be afraid." The Dr. Ron just howled. I just didn't see the humor and he had to explain that the yogi was on a totally higher plane thinking the snake was afraid of him. Well, I get the line of reasoning--just didn't think it was funny. Certainly not on the scale of an Irish limerick

YogaDancer - 2004-04-27 8:11 PM

I'm glad.
All kinds of experiences just make us more well-rounded and understanding. We can pick and choose, laugh and groan, and scream, "NO WAY!"

I just think it's great to find you guys actually willing to think outside the Bikram box. It seems (in my experience) to be so narrow and my way or the highway, with so many buying into it, that so many miss out on a lot of interesting, fun stuff.

My next gig? A weekend long Sanskrit Institute workshop!

Christine
Brenda
Posted 2004-05-04 2:52 PM (#5955 - in reply to #5147)

Hi Kathy Ann,
I know Paulette. She's good. What did you think of Doug Keller. I attended the entire weekend and found him to be one of the best instructors I have studied w/. Manouso Manos (Senior Iyengar instructor) is another favorite to learn from. Funny, we were both there at Desert Song. Just curious what you thought. While I truly love the Anusara tradition, I enjoy learning from lots of different schools of yoga. There is room for it all! Shanti, Brenda
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-04 7:47 PM (#5967 - in reply to #5147)

Hi Brenda,

That is funny that we were both there. I think Doug is great, obviously extremely knowledgeable about the human body. I felt a little bit "out of my element" since I do Bikram and was not familiar with all of the asanas. Also, it was a lot of information to absorb and I don't think I always "got it" as far as following his instructions for alignment. There seemed to be so many people "oohing" and "ahhing" and I was sort of going "huh - I didn't really feel anything". But, I'm sure I absorbed some of it. Also, I'm not used to being in such a crowded room and even though I got to Desert Song early, I ended up late to the actual studio because I didn't realize people had already gone in there. (Duh.) So, I ended up having to go clear up in front (felt like I was right under Doug's nose), which put me off to a bad start

That's just me and my quirks. It's good to try new things so I am glad for the experience.
elson
Posted 2004-07-17 4:24 AM (#8423 - in reply to #5147)

This is a pretty typical technical book, in my experience. What works for me & others is to skim it once without trying to learn it - just pick out the major ideas (lets call them branches), and anything that grabs your attention (tasty-looking fruit). Then go back & start putting leaves on the branches of your understanding of the tree of the book :-).

And of course you don't have to eat the whole thing at one sitting :-).
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-30 3:15 PM (#10429 - in reply to #5147)

To paraphrase an old axiom:

Writing about yoga is like dancing about architecture.

Yoga is in the DOING.

I bought the Anusara Teacher Training manual and the Doug Keller book after reading this post a couple of weeks ago. I finished the TTM and loved it and now I am working my way through Keller's book and think it is awesome. I have been practicing yoga for years and anusara specifically for about one year. I am into my second year of teaching yoga. So I find these books draw together a lot of concepts for me that I have been hearing about in class. Now from reading the books the concepts in class make more sense.

These books are not meant to be read before practicing anusara yoga. IMHO, they are far too overwhelming for someone that has never practiced this style of yoga before.

Yoga is really in the DOING. Through regular practice your body slowly reveals itself to you. The principles get digested over days, weeks, months years. Certainly there is far too much to cover in one single class. In anusara often the focus one month will be inner spiral, the next month outer spiral, the next month shoulder loops. Giving you time digest slowly.

In fact this is true of all yoga. It is a life-long process of discovery. Consider your practice over the span of a lifetime, do a little everyday, and enjoy it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)