YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Guilty of Pride
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-14 1:57 PM (#5381 - in reply to #5258)
Subject: Your own studio. Nuts or Brilliant?

Bruce, are you aware of the franchize restrictions for Bikram studios? If you choose not to honor them, you'd have to call yourself "Hot Yoga" which kind of put people off. If they're going to do it (outside a gym) they'd normally head for an authorized studio.

What my thought would be, if you insist on owning a yoga studio, is to open it with a Hatha yoga title. Offer and advertise classes stressing the experience and certification of the teachers teaching their chosen style. This gives you a lot of freedom to experiement, play and offer what your students demand.

With this, your certified Bikram teacher could work with beginners with more detail, offer workshops like those that have been discussed here, etc.

The studio where I'm going to start teaching May 3rd is going in this direction. A certified Anusara teacher and a Master Anusara Teacher Trainer are opening up Golden Heart Yoga in Annapolis. However, they want to offer a variety. So they're hiring affiliated or certified Anusara teachers, a certified Jr. Iyengar teacher, and a friend who is a certified Bikram. (A couple more I'm forgetting.)

I'm teaching Ashtanga because of my Anusara background. I get to restrict the classes to Level II or above, and those already practicing Ashtanga. Because I plan to introduce Anusara's form and alignment to the students, they can really work through an Ashtanga practice safely, getting more out of the practice than injury and frustration. I don't want beginners because it slows the Primary Series led classes down so to try to teach these people yoga before they cream their bodies. I'll let the Anusara beginning level classes do this, since they're perfect preparation for both Ashtanga and Bikram, since neither of the latter teach such.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Get my drift? Why lock into something that is not only (just plan dangerous in many ways) so restricted in its business practices, but something that can definitely be called trendy? All your eggs in one basket when it's possible to offer several eggs that compliment each other might be a wiser idea since it approaches a wider client base.

Just make sure you have an industrial washer/dryer for all those sweaty mats!

Christine
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-04-14 3:05 PM (#5388 - in reply to #5381)
Subject: RE: Your own studio. Nuts or Brilliant?

You are exactly right Christine nd that's my plan--didn't describe it well in the initial post. But assisting my Bikram instructor in buying the studio, we can maintain a bit of that frachise protection, make some money while I get certified. Then upon return, I can study with Effie for vinyasa then buy into the "WalMart" type situation you describe with Golden Heart. I don't mean WalMart insulting, rather, get what you want in one location. So eventually I'll get just so darn experienced I can walk into one of your classes -- and buy you a beer after at the Middleton Tavern--maybe brunch at the Treaty of Paris. AND--I'm working on inventing a disposable mat

YogaDancer - 2004-04-14 12:57 PM

Bruce, are you aware of the franchize restrictions for Bikram studios? If you choose not to honor them, you'd have to call yourself "Hot Yoga" which kind of put people off. If they're going to do it (outside a gym) they'd normally head for an authorized studio.

What my thought would be, if you insist on owning a yoga studio, is to open it with a Hatha yoga title. Offer and advertise classes stressing the experience and certification of the teachers teaching their chosen style. This gives you a lot of freedom to experiement, play and offer what your students demand.

With this, your certified Bikram teacher could work with beginners with more detail, offer workshops like those that have been discussed here, etc.

The studio where I'm going to start teaching May 3rd is going in this direction. A certified Anusara teacher and a Master Anusara Teacher Trainer are opening up Golden Heart Yoga in Annapolis. However, they want to offer a variety. So they're hiring affiliated or certified Anusara teachers, a certified Jr. Iyengar teacher, and a friend who is a certified Bikram. (A couple more I'm forgetting.)

I'm teaching Ashtanga because of my Anusara background. I get to restrict the classes to Level II or above, and those already practicing Ashtanga. Because I plan to introduce Anusara's form and alignment to the students, they can really work through an Ashtanga practice safely, getting more out of the practice than injury and frustration. I don't want beginners because it slows the Primary Series led classes down so to try to teach these people yoga before they cream their bodies. I'll let the Anusara beginning level classes do this, since they're perfect preparation for both Ashtanga and Bikram, since neither of the latter teach such.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Get my drift? Why lock into something that is not only (just plan dangerous in many ways) so restricted in its business practices, but something that can definitely be called trendy? All your eggs in one basket when it's possible to offer several eggs that compliment each other might be a wiser idea since it approaches a wider client base.

Just make sure you have an industrial washer/dryer for all those sweaty mats!

Christine
Posted 2004-04-14 9:46 PM (#5393 - in reply to #5388)
Subject: RE: Your own studio. Nuts or Brilliant?

Christine, a certified Bikram instructor will have his/her certification revoked if he/she is found to be teaching Bikram yoga in an unauthorized studio. I don't know if the teacher knows this or cares, but this is what I was told.

Bruce, please do not make disposable mats. Mother Earth can only take so much garbage!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-14 10:45 PM (#5395 - in reply to #5258)
Subject: RE: Guilty of Pride

I thought that was the case, Guest, but wasn't sure so I didn't mention it. I do think you're correct, though.
Perhaps that should be considered a mark of pride or graduation?

Disposable mats are as bad an idea as disposable diapers. Hmmm... give the yogis diapers instead....

C.

Posted 2004-04-15 7:24 AM (#5399 - in reply to #5393)
Subject: Disposible mats

Disposible mats, made of recycled material, that would decompose when disgarded into a soil nuturing substance that would block weeds while allowing air to flow (a compost sheet perhaps)--now what little yogi wouldn't go for that?

Guest - 2004-04-14 8:46 PM

Bruce, please do not make disposable mats. Mother Earth can only take so much garbage!
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-15 8:39 AM (#5401 - in reply to #5399)
Subject: RE: Disposible mats

Sounds better

Not sure why my last post said I was "Guest" . . .

Personally, I think if I had the opportunity to teach "Hot Yoga" at a diverse studio with teachers I respected, I wouldn't care if I lost my Bikram certification. That's just me, though. I suppose it would be hard to give up something you spent a significant amount of time (not to mention money) to obtain. And, of course, a certain amount of sanity.

Posted 2004-04-15 10:59 AM (#5402 - in reply to #5401)
Subject: Bikram certification

Help me understand Gwyn--as a certified Bikram instructor you can ONLY teach Bikram? If you knew/taught say Power yoga at a venue somewhere, Bikram would "pull" your cert?

My Cats' Mom - 2004-04-15 7:39 AM

Sounds better

Not sure why my last post said I was "Guest" . . .

Personally, I think if I had the opportunity to teach "Hot Yoga" at a diverse studio with teachers I respected, I wouldn't care if I lost my Bikram certification. That's just me, though. I suppose it would be hard to give up something you spent a significant amount of time (not to mention money) to obtain. And, of course, a certain amount of sanity.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-16 11:45 AM (#5433 - in reply to #5402)
Subject: RE: Bikram certification

Check out the teacher training agreement at bikramyoga.com under the teacher training update. It says you cannot teach Bikram yoga at any unauthorized location, that is one that is not an "affiliate" or franchise.

I suppose you could teach Hot Yoga but it could not be in the same sequence as Bikram's yoga or use any of his dialogue. I'm quite sure you could teach other styles of yoga without losing your certification, just not any other styles of yoga at a Bikram franchise or "affiliate".

The agreement is very interesting; I don't think it is the same one I have from my TT. I don't remember, for example, the "honor system" section that forces you to rat out other instructors for changing the class in any way.

Posted 2004-04-16 12:18 PM (#5436 - in reply to #5433)
Subject: RE: Bikram certification

I've checked the Bikram site on several occasions and it does appear the franchising agreement and teacher code is evolving--ah HA a moving target.

My Cats' Mom - 2004-04-16 10:45 AM

Check out the teacher training agreement at bikramyoga.com under the teacher training update. It says you cannot teach Bikram yoga at any unauthorized location, that is one that is not an "affiliate" or franchise.

I suppose you could teach Hot Yoga but it could not be in the same sequence as Bikram's yoga or use any of his dialogue. I'm quite sure you could teach other styles of yoga without losing your certification, just not any other styles of yoga at a Bikram franchise or "affiliate".

The agreement is very interesting; I don't think it is the same one I have from my TT. I don't remember, for example, the "honor system" section that forces you to rat out other instructors for changing the class in any way.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-16 12:38 PM (#5437 - in reply to #5258)

Am I in the twilight zone or is there something really wrong about this whole thing?

Posted 2004-04-16 1:34 PM (#5440 - in reply to #5437)
Subject: Franchise debate

I dunno kiddo--I can see the pros and cons from an intellectual property standpoint vs. the franchising of an ancient art and science. Can also see it's very confusing and a touchy subject for many yogis. I do know that Bikram has succedded in bring folks to the yoga world that might not have ventured in--me being one--and I'm ever so grateful for that. Also, the teacher I know realtime and virtually are good people wanting to spread the word.

YogaDancer - 2004-04-16 11:38 AM

Am I in the twilight zone or is there something really wrong about this whole thing?
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-16 1:54 PM (#5441 - in reply to #5440)
Subject: RE: Franchise debate

but what word, Bruce, since overwhelmingly, second only to YogaFit (which is another nightmare, in my opinion) these teachers generally know nothing about yoga. Yup. I make that broad generalization. They know what Bikram has them memorize and tells them is yoga.

I can see him trademarking his series. Big deal. But to get people to tell on each other? What an environment of trust or kula he's creating, huh? How about the idea that yoga is for absolutely everyone, depsite physical ability or lack thereof, injury or condition, race, sex, gender, etc?

It all seems rather twisted to me -- and really, no pun intended.

Interestingly enough, there are others doing it without garnering the attention he has. Perhaps it's his flamboyancy? Or his wild health claims?

Who knows.
C.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-16 2:12 PM (#5442 - in reply to #5258)

Well said Bruce.

Christine - I know you don't approve of Bikram but to say it's not even yoga? I think I would have to take exception to that along with the thousands of people who are practicing it. Can't you just lighten up a tiny bit?
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-16 2:33 PM (#5443 - in reply to #5442)

I didn't say that.

I don't approve of the way Bikram has his teachers use yoga, but it's just an opinion. I don't think it's beginner yoga and I don't like his "my way or the highway" philosophy.

Where did I say it's "not even yoga?"

C.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-16 4:02 PM (#5444 - in reply to #5443)

Bikram does believe yoga is for everybody. Emphatically. He just believes that if you're going to teach "Bikram Yoga", that is, the 26 poses in the order exactly as he trademarked, using any of his dialogue, you have to do it his way.

I have no problem leaving "Bikram Yoga" (as described above) to Bikram certified instructors and Bikram. Look at it this way: if I take the yoga sutras of Patanjali and I decide that based on my understanding of Christianity, there should be some changes made. Changes that many, many people might feel would improve the sutras or make them understood better. If I do that, I can't really call them the yoga sutras of Patanjali anymore, can I?

If I desire to teach it out of sequence or omit some postures, I won't call it Bikram Yoga. If I want to evolve my practice and my teaching, I'll have to venture outside of Bikram's yoga. Other teachers have done this, i.e. Barkan, Sanchez, Baptiste. They take what they agree with, discard the rest and create their own. And notice -- none of them call it Bikram Yoga.

Peace

Posted 2004-04-16 4:32 PM (#5445 - in reply to #5441)
Subject: RE: Franchise debate

Guru Christine,
I would certainly agree that getting folks to narc on those not abiding by the Bikram agreement smacks of a nazi mentality and I'd never be a party to that. My two current Bikram teachers came to Bikram and from teacher training without knowing anything about yoga other than they liked the Bikram method and wanted to teach it. If you recall from my earlier postings, I had a lot of trouble getting them to cooperate and "teach" me rather than just recite the monolog. In my quest to learn, they have opened their minds to do similar and I drag them along to workshops, MAKE them read your posts and view your site. Get them books, discuss pros/cons or the practice, etc.

In trade, I have become a good yoga student (I think). I listen to what my teacher's say and ask them for clarification, and don't argue -- except "Are you OK?" I sure see your point about Bikram supposedly being for anybody and instructors possibly not being prepared (or "allowed") to insure indeed it could be.

I know my practice of Bikram and the internal and external changes that have occurred are welcomed--I've evolved from a middle-aged, dumpy, nasty SOB to a middle-aged, less dumpy, more tranquil SOB and acquired a thrist for finding the yoga "truth"--a thirst satiated somewhat from your wise counsel.

YogaDancer - 2004-04-16 12:54 PM

but what word, Bruce, since overwhelmingly, second only to YogaFit (which is another nightmare, in my opinion) these teachers generally know nothing about yoga. Yup. I make that broad generalization. They know what Bikram has them memorize and tells them is yoga.

I can see him trademarking his series. Big deal. But to get people to tell on each other? What an environment of trust or kula he's creating, huh? How about the idea that yoga is for absolutely everyone, depsite physical ability or lack thereof, injury or condition, race, sex, gender, etc?

It all seems rather twisted to me -- and really, no pun intended.

Interestingly enough, there are others doing it without garnering the attention he has. Perhaps it's his flamboyancy? Or his wild health claims?

Who knows.
C.

Posted 2004-04-16 4:39 PM (#5446 - in reply to #5444)

Exactly Gwyneth. I love the "evolve" term--it doesn't qualify something as good or bad and assigns no subjective rating; rather, it evokes a moving on, adapting, adjusting. But if I've grasped any of Christine's wise advice it's that one must know, if not master the sound basics of yoga before it's possible to evolve. I skipped the basics step and went immediately to a higher level and struggled in my attempt.

My Cats' Mom - 2004-04-16 3:02 PM

If I want to evolve my practice and my teaching, I'll have to venture outside of Bikram's yoga. Other teachers have done this, i.e. Barkan, Sanchez, Baptiste. They take what they agree with, discard the rest and create their own. And notice -- none of them call it Bikram Yoga.

Peace
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-16 4:50 PM (#5447 - in reply to #5258)

You're right Christine, you didn't actually say it's not yoga. It just seemed that's what you implied by saying "the instructors know nothing about yoga" "only what Bikram has them memorize and tells them is yoga". If the instructors know nothing about yoga, then I'm not quite sure how what they teach us is yoga. (According to you.)

My point is the same. I think you could be a wee bit less harsh. I think we all appreciate your extensive knowledge of yoga but you don't have to insult people.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-16 8:32 PM (#5452 - in reply to #5447)

I'll take it under consideration, Kathy Ann, but if you quote me, do it correctly. "the teachers generally know nothing about yoga..."

I think it needs to be said, that I'm not simply referring to the asana "limb" of yoga. Bikram admits his philosophy isn't spiritual "so why should I demand it of my teachers" for example. Now, I'm not saying yoga has to be spiritual, but I do maintain if you know nothing about the connections asana has to the other limbs, the student misses out. If you know nothing about bio mechanical safety (read: form and alignment) because your Fearless Leader says "don't touch them or adjust them. They'll either get it or they won't" yet you're teaching asana, you're missing out on a huge aspect of yoga -- again. Yet he'll make these wild health claims while people are being injured on a fairly regular basis.

That is not to say it doesn't happen when a student throws him/herself into more vigorous forms of yoga without a foundation, but we're discussing Bikram. Other FL of more rigorous forms of yoga do not set themselves up as miracle cures, which opens him up to examination.

I'm sorry you're insulted, Kathy Ann. I'm also sorry you're taking this personally when this is not a personal discussion about you nor your yoga choices. Or mine, or Bruce's, for that matter. Long after we're dead and gone, trademarks are an archaic institution, the yoga will still be here.

Christine
hot4yoga
Posted 2004-04-25 1:29 PM (#5681 - in reply to #5258)

Let me just say that for a new person to yoga in general... I so appreciate that this forum is available to the public. I've only done Bikram and it's working out great for me but I love the fact that people, with years of yoga behind them, can share constructively useful critizisms here. Thank you y'all! I so look forward to expanding my yoga experience in years to come.

YD - your website is amazing! I love all the information in it!

Edited by hot4yoga 2004-04-25 1:31 PM
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-25 5:23 PM (#5687 - in reply to #5258)

Thank you, Hot4yoga.
Welcome to the wonderful, life-changing world of yoga.
Christine
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)