YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is bikram aerobic?, weight bearing?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

peggy
Posted 2004-04-16 1:08 AM (#5420)
Subject: is bikram aerobic?, weight bearing?

Recently I have begun considering adding "Curves" a short circuit type program to my exercise routine. I love bikram yoga but sometimes it is difficult to go for periods of days or weeks.

I also was concerned the other day that while doing the triengle I noted my heart rate went to 143. ( I was wearing a monitor). I am 576 and 5'6" and 182 pounds.

I have been doing yoga over a year and have lost about 10 pounds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tibard
Posted 2004-04-16 1:11 PM (#5438 - in reply to #5420)
Subject: RE: is bikram aerobic?, weight bearing?

That's a good question Peggy. I just started Bikram about a month and a half ago. My heart rate goes up quite a bit but I'm not sure if the practice is truly aerobic. I would venture it's more anaerobic (heart makes it into the target heart zone off and on instead of consistently).While I haven't noticed any weight loss (I go 3 x's/week), I have noticed other positive changes. Last week, I started doing weight/aerobics on my days off from Bikram so maybe I'll start to notice the scale inching down soon.
peggy
Posted 2004-04-16 11:55 PM (#5454 - in reply to #5438)

Thanks for the reply. By the way, I am 57, not 576. Peggy
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-17 5:53 AM (#5457 - in reply to #5420)

Curves is a great program. Bikram, as with many forms of yoga, is not necessarily aerobic because you're frequently holding your breath. Usually without realizing it.
Your heart rate jumps frequenly from the unnatural heat, lack of hydration (doesn't matter how much water one drinks during class), loss of electrolytes, and straining. It's something that would be a red flag to me.

Curves moves you through a set series of machines for a set number of minutes. You are constantly moving, even if it's walking in place. It would be a great addition to any more sedentary yoga type. I realize sedentary is an odd word, but it does apply if one looks at this in a relative manner.

We have several students who are in our Special Conditions classes who have added Curves. They love it. It's fast, they get the 20 minutes a day (or xx no. of days a week) and the'yre done!

C.
peggy
Posted 2004-04-17 9:24 PM (#5469 - in reply to #5457)

Veteran,
Thank you for your honesty and knowledge of Curves.

Your answer comes just in time. I went to Curves and really enjoyed my second visit. In
particular the inner thigh strengthenbing will really help with the triangle, I believe.

When you say that "it would be a red flag for me", I am assuming that you mean the 143 heart rate. It was a red flag for me also.

I have however, managed to prevent that from reoccurring by sitting down when I feel my heart rate is to high. I believe, interestingly, that some resistance I have felt in the past to going to yoga classes, was probably related to the stress on my body from the heart rate. The lesson, is that I insist on being in charge of my practice and I sit when needed. I have done this two times this week and I find that by the end of class, I feel great, and the momentary embarrassment of sitting is forgotten. It makes returning easier.

I also realize that I cannot drink coffee, at leasst not prior to Bikram.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-18 7:47 AM (#5472 - in reply to #5420)

Just out of curiosity, have you had a recent physical or discussed the heat in relation to your blood pressure with your doctor?

I really wonder about the appropriateness of this class for you, just based upon what you've told us here.

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-18 11:01 AM (#5478 - in reply to #5469)

I guess I would be interested in knowing your health history.

If you had a physical prior to starting your exercise program and your doctor said you were good to go -- that is, no heart problems/arrhythmias, high blood pressure -- then there is a good chance you will be fine with Bikram yoga. Plenty of people do well with this type of yoga. (BTW, you should always get a physical before embarking on a fitness program)

You MUST, however:

1. Sit down when you need to
2. Pay strict attention to your breathing (back off if you're having trouble breathing!)
3. Listen to your body (hear and act accordingly!)
4. Question your instructors. If you're experiencing any kind of trouble and their response
is, "Just keep doing the yoga", you don't have a good teacher.
5. Do other types of yoga and read to really understand the poses beyond Bikram's dialogue

I am curious as to how hot your practice room is. There are some studios that are most definitely hotter than others and, therefore, more risky, IMO.

Congratulations, though, on getting the guts to sit out sometimes. It's not always easy to let go of that ego

Posted 2004-04-18 12:50 PM (#5483 - in reply to #5478)

Go get 'em Jenn. Notice how Gwyn mentioned checking your ego--good to keep that in mind--I had a REAL hard time.

My Cats' Mom - 2004-04-18 10:01 AM

Congratulations, though, on getting the guts to sit out sometimes. It's not always easy to let go of that ego
peggy
Posted 2004-04-18 1:05 PM (#5484 - in reply to #5420)

Health history,
I have marginally high blood pressure controlled by a small amount of blood pressure medicine,
I however am talking aobut heart rate, not blood pressure.
I talked with my doctor, who said "whatever you are doing seems to be working". I am considering returning to her to check further if my heart rate continue to be high. Talking about the heat in particular is good idea.

I am returnig to bikram after a "vacation" of only only 7 classes in 6 weeks. I went 3 out of 5 days last week, with curves on one of the off days. Today I am going to yoga again. I am finding tht I choose instructors who are "easier" and will do so until I get better at endurance. By easier, I mean the heat is less and they feel less judgemental to me.

Peggy
This is a physical discipline, but boy does it bring up the " emotional" issues.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-18 2:49 PM (#5487 - in reply to #5420)

That's yoga for you!

I do realize you're talking about heart rate. Nonetheless, given the extreme heat I was curious about your blood pressure. Remember, this is physical activity in a sauna, which no doctor would recommend.
C.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-18 10:07 PM (#5494 - in reply to #5484)

I would always opt for the cooler class and understanding teacher.

I am curious as to why you think some teachers are judging you?
peggy
Posted 2004-04-18 10:51 PM (#5497 - in reply to #5420)

Tahnks for the response. Probably teachers are not judgmental, but it seems some teachers are
focused on having the posture be done perfectly and others are less so. The first sometimes
feels judgmental to me. Also, I just like some teachers more ..Chemistry I guess.

Anyway, today I went the kept my heart rate under 125 for most the the class -- with a few spikes up to 133. It went well. All in all it makes the class less tiring and more stimulating.
It's interesting to keep such awareness of heart rate.

It's probably not a surprise that the triangle and the bow are the big heart rate spikers.

By the way in response to Veteran, if no doctor recommended exercising in a sauna, no doctor
would recommend Bikram.
peggy
Posted 2004-04-19 1:22 AM (#5499 - in reply to #5420)

Sorry Yoga Dancer, I referred to you as Veteran. I'm just getting the hang of how this web-site works.
Anyways, I feel thankful for the concern and help.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-19 7:48 AM (#5501 - in reply to #5497)

So at least someone gets my point...........
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-19 9:43 AM (#5502 - in reply to #5501)

If only it were so cut & dried. I have read articles where doctors don't have a problem with Bikram yoga as long as the heat is monitored and the practitioner is in good health. Also, we have doctors who take class and we had a doctor at teacher training. So . . . I don't think Bikram yoga is perfect, but I don't think it's the spawn of satan, either. I don't think it is suited to beginners unless you have a REALLY good teacher who has a REALLY good understanding of alignment issues. Christine, maybe you should teach? That would be awesome! Of course, we'd have to call it Hot Yoga to make up for the changes in dialogue I'd love to take your class!

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-19 10:09 AM (#5503 - in reply to #5420)

That's quite a compilment.

I actually use some of the Bikram asana at times. Some of the versions are very fun when you're used to something else. You're correct, though, in that my languaging is very different.

The "if you're in good health" statement is so subjective. Being real, how many people do you really think actually have a physical or actually talk to their doctor before the "begin any physical activity." We all know that's become simply a disclaimer for the fitness or exercise provider these days. I'm willing to bet even those doctors did not check themselves out, probably not even giving it a second thought.

You know I do not practice Bikram, but I practice another form that can be equally as demanding and potentially dangerous if someone has a hidden or unknown physical condition. I'm not panning Bikram as yoga, but really just in how it's taught by people who don't necessarily understand that every single yoga asana is a total body experience if it's done properly. And newbies just plain don't know how to take responsibility for their practice. Look a Peggy thinking the teachers were in some vague way judging her. The surprise is that as someone new, she was aware and self-confident enough to stick by her guns and pay attention to her body. Very unusual.

Ah well. I'd do a Bikram class. With internal heat, body-aware biomechanics, a lot of laughter, moaning, groaning and maybe some screams and cheering. Who knows?

Posted 2004-04-19 11:09 AM (#5504 - in reply to #5503)

And I'd give you a 21-waterbottle salute--just to cool you off ya know--and "crack" jokes of course.

YogaDancer - 2004-04-19 9:09 AM

Ah well. I'd do a Bikram class. With internal heat, body-aware biomechanics, a lot of laughter, moaning, groaning and maybe some screams and cheering. Who knows?
peggy
Posted 2004-04-19 11:34 AM (#5508 - in reply to #5420)

Don't give me more credit than I deserve. I did start my class without telling my doctor.
I lost 10 pounds and did great for a year. After that year, I encountered incredible psychological resistance and stopped for 2 weeks. I then looked for reasons that I felt such resistance. On a whim
I wore my heart monitor to class and discovered the 143 heart rate when doing the triangle.
I then faced possibly stopping Bikram, having a heart attack, ignoring the heart rate issue,
or adapting my practice. So I'm a Bikram veteran. Four months ago, I went through classes without sitting down, but I believe it was too stressful on my body and that it led to my resistance. It's true, life is a marathon, not a sprint.

I have no body problems from Bikram.
I have had one minor cold, no back problems, quit my chiropractor, and controlled my pre-diabetes.
When I saw my doctor, she was very happy. Until you go to Bikram though, you don't really
understand what it is. Maybe all doctors should go to several yoga classes so that they can
be experiences advisors. My doctor takes Ashtanga.

Anyway, my teachers are great.
peggy
Posted 2004-04-24 1:20 AM (#5649 - in reply to #5508)

Well guess what, I had to see my doctor about something else, so I posed the heat and heart rate questions.

Interesting response. When I mentioned the 143 heart rate during triangle, her response was "so". She did respond to blood pressure concerns by suggesting that I take my blood pressure before and after bikram. I just received my cuff and will report back.

I did check on the internet regarding heart rate and it seems the important thing is to start at 50 to 60 percent of your maximum and gradually work up to 70 or 80 percent.

Anyway, in general, she feel that the benefits of yoga so outrun the riisks that it is good, except
if my heart rate is very high. More later.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)