YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wanna try, but intimidated!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

e.lamba
Posted 2004-04-20 11:06 AM (#5525)
Subject: wanna try, but intimidated!

Hmm.

I'd really like to try out Bikram but from what I've read about it I'm pretty intimidated. Seems from what I've read on usenet, here, etc. that there are a lot more image-conscious people who go to Bikram classes, and that it's more competitive in nature than other styles of yoga (I have done lots of Iyengar in the past, although haven't practiced in over a year).

I guess I'm worried about being the only out of shape, not perfect person in the studio. Silly, I know, but this is also why I don't belong to a gym. I get intimidated easily.

How unfounded (or founded?!) are these fears? What should I really expect walking into my first Bikram class? How much should I really expect myself to be able to do?

I keep telling myself, "I'll go tonight..." but I never do. I need some encouragement!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-20 12:04 PM (#5526 - in reply to #5525)
Subject: RE: wanna try, but intimidated!

I think you are concerned about all the wrong things. I can't speak for the particular studio you might attend but at the one I have been attending for 7 months, there is absolutely NO sense of competition, there are people of all ages and shapes, male and female. Everyone is so focused on their own practice that nobody even looks at other people to any degree.

What you should be concerned about is your ability to deal with the heat which can be quite intense. You need to be well hydrated BEFORE class and drink sparingly during class to avoid nausea. You also need to be strong-willed enough to NOT let the instructors push you too far (if they try to do so). In other words, you need to be in touch with your own body and limitations and not push yourself too hard - just take it easy.

I would highly suggest that you read Bikram's book prior to taking your first class if at all possible.

Best of luck!

Posted 2004-04-20 2:35 PM (#5529 - in reply to #5525)

My wife has similar feelings as you--she doesn't want to look the fool or be embarrassed--NOBODY ever looked dumber than I did that first day at Bikram--just a couple of people in the class and there's me--50 year old guy with lovehandles standing half naked in front of surround mirrors. The only person who intimidated me was...me--I thought I looked ridiculous and figured everybody else did too. My nazi instructor jerked a knot in my tail about that attitude over the following few weeks as have the other students and other yoga instructors--A typical gym may attract folks you don't want to be exercising with--you won't see that any any yoga facility I know about--go for it!
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-20 5:48 PM (#5542 - in reply to #5525)

I think you have a head start with all the Iyengar practice. Go for it -- remember your alignment basics from Iyengar and you'll keep yourself safe!

As far as looking bad to others, how often did you pay attention to what other people looked like when you used to practice?
bella
Posted 2004-04-20 6:07 PM (#5543 - in reply to #5525)

I was scared my first time. I had only taken 4 hatha classes. But it was the best class i had ever taken. My instructor helped me in some poses. But I got the hang of it. It was intimidating when you see others do better. But that will motivate you to continue to go and reach that level. I am not in the best of shape and huff and puff my way through it and at the end of class I am on cloud 9. Go tonight and tell us how you liked it. good luck bella
beteljc
Posted 2004-04-20 8:54 PM (#5546 - in reply to #5525)

Just my 2 cents but I can tell you that I have met nothing but the most caring instructors and students during my 2+ year practice. It's always been a light atmosphere. Sure, I've seen the people you talk about but they have been few and far between and never last long with the Bikram practice.

Please try it, I know you'll find real benefit out of it. Maybe take a friend? Good luck!
Sandy
Posted 2004-04-25 6:05 PM (#5691 - in reply to #5525)

Don't be afraid!
Make yourself go.
Once you are concentrating on the poses you won't be thinking those bad thoughts so much.

I am also an easily intimidated person. I am not over weight but I found I was a bit thicker than most taking the class. However, one day a very voluptous instructor lead the class and I learned you don't have to be thin to do yoga well. You probably already know that.

The instructors and hopefuly the participants don't care what you look like. Their philosophy is a peaceful one. The instructors know every BODY is different.

Just go. You already have been practicing some yoga. You will be ahead of most beginers.

You will probably really like it!

e.lamda
Posted 2004-04-26 9:26 AM (#5705 - in reply to #5525)
Subject: Well, I finally went!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I finally went to my first class last night, and although I found the heat tough, I was able to stick with it. I plan on going back again tonight...and tommorrow...and the next day.

I am thankful that I have already practiced Iyengar before attending Bikram. I might have been a little lost, otherwise.

I had a blast, I loved how it made me feel...I'll be back!

Thanks again!

Posted 2004-04-26 9:54 AM (#5707 - in reply to #5705)
Subject: RE: Well, I finally went!

Good for you! Wish I had some Iyengar background before I started--I'm backtracking now. How did your psyche hold up--feel intimidated? Somehow, I don't think so as you're ready to rock now!

e.lamda - 2004-04-26 8:26 AM

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I finally went to my first class last night, and although I found the heat tough, I was able to stick with it. I plan on going back again tonight...and tommorrow...and the next day.

I am thankful that I have already practiced Iyengar before attending Bikram. I might have been a little lost, otherwise.

I had a blast, I loved how it made me feel...I'll be back!

Thanks again!
e. lamba
Posted 2004-04-26 11:08 AM (#5710 - in reply to #5525)

Psychologically, the hardest part for me was making myself get in my car and drive over to the studio -- once I was there, I was committed, so I was OK. I really had these preconceptions in my head (thanks in large part to reading too much silliness on the internet, I think) that Bikram classes were full of "hotties" who were all in competition with one another to go further, push harder. What I ended up finding was there were all sorts of people in the class, the instructor was careful not to push everyone, and it was just like any other yoga class I've been to...just much, much warmer.

Posted 2004-04-26 11:58 AM (#5713 - in reply to #5710)

Good deal. There are a couple of "hoties" in my class and they are the nicest, most helpful folks of all--seriuosly--and I'm far from a hottie so I'm sure that's not the reason they're being nice.[

QUOTE]e. lamba - 2004-04-26 10:08 AM

Psychologically, the hardest part for me was making myself get in my car and drive over to the studio -- once I was there, I was committed, so I was OK. I really had these preconceptions in my head (thanks in large part to reading too much silliness on the internet, I think) that Bikram classes were full of "hotties" who were all in competition with one another to go further, push harder. What I ended up finding was there were all sorts of people in the class, the instructor was careful not to push everyone, and it was just like any other yoga class I've been to...just much, much warmer.
e.lambda
Posted 2004-05-14 11:55 PM (#6411 - in reply to #5525)

So, I just wanted to follow up with you all.

I did finally go, and wow. I loved/hated the first three classes; the heat was the major factor. I felt like I couldn't breathe properly because of it, and the sweat was really distracting. Plus for some reason, different teachers seem to let the room get to different temperatures (even at the same studio); I am surprised that I could recognize that (I mean, 105 degrees or more, you figure, what does it matter, hot is hot! But it actually DOES!) and got pretty discouraged at my second class when it got really, really hot and I couldn't do several of the poses because of it. But afterwards I heard regulars in the class complaining about the heat so I didn't feel so bad.

After the third class, it has all been downhill. I actually find myself craving the class! As I said earlier, I have done lots of Iyengar before, and I always loved how that made me feel -- but this is more dramatic. That "high", which I sort of equate to a full-body orgasm is much more intense for me with Bikram. And as I have gone to more classes I continue to see more and more that I had no reason to be intimidated -- there really are people of all shapes, sizes, and abilities at this type of class just like any other yoga.

For some reason, though, I find it more addictive than Iyengar. Hmm.

I do want to make one comment, though, as I've read in Yoga Dancer's posts (I think that's her name, sorry if I got it wrong) -- she's concerned with first time yoga students going to Bikram. And after experiencing many instructors, I have to agree. While there are some that do not try to push you (whether it's the "required dialog" or not) there are definitely some that do, and I have noted in my head while these people were leading the class, god, that's really stupid to tell people yoga "should" hurt, or that you should continue to "push" yourself past your limit. That's how injuries happen.

Maybe there should be a Yoga 101 pre-req to Bikram. Then again, he wouldn't make his money if that were the case.

But for me, I just wanted to tell you all, WOW, I love this form of yoga. And each night after I finish I simply obsess until I can get to the next class. I love it!

Posted 2004-05-15 9:08 AM (#6420 - in reply to #6411)

Ah young love I recall my first few months taking Bikram--nearly became an addiction for me as I was neglecting wife and work in order to get to class--if I had the full body orgams you mentioned--I'd probably have LIVED at the studio

Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-17 3:25 PM (#6490 - in reply to #5525)

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Bikram. It really does seem to be addicting. I have taken all kinds of different aerobics classes over the years but I never was as faithful in my attendance as I have been to my Bikram yoga. I go 3 times a week and I get especially anxious to go when I have a 2-day break in between classes.
beteljc
Posted 2004-05-27 10:15 PM (#6921 - in reply to #5525)

e.lamba,
I'm so happy you tried Bikram! Congrats. It is, indeed, very addicting. I find that the number of people in a class and the time of day make a big difference in how the heat feels to me... Plus, check with your studio; most have a natural spot in the room that is hotter/cooler than another. The 'regulars' can tell you, too. Don't be afraid to talk to the regulars at your studio - they can provide many tips and trust me - they wouldn't be there unless they started New, too. I'm sure they'd be happy and honored to help you out.

Many kind thoughts,
beteljc
go_for_it
Posted 2004-06-30 3:18 PM (#8017 - in reply to #5525)

Im glad to hear that someone else out there has the same concerns I have. I attended my 3rd class last night and I too feel like Im going to be addicted. Its hard not to think of when I will be going next. Im vascillating on going 3 to 4 times a week. I just need to get over that newbie feelings and just enjoy the whole class and not just getting out
I have some questions or issues regarding the heat and feel that maybe I'm a wimp asking which instructor isnt one of the high heat nazi ones and try to go to those classes. Overall I am very pleased to have had the courage to start something. I've always wanted to run but just felt it was to much of an impact on my body. Anyhow.. just wanted to say THANKS for being so honest and helping out all the other that felt / feel that same way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)