YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Q for Yoga Dancer
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-21 9:08 AM (#5557)
Subject: Q for Yoga Dancer

Hey Christine -- I wanted to get your opinion on this.

I keep hearing this phrase: "Cobra is good for the lower back, Locust is good for the middle back and full Locust is good for the upper back." It seems to me that all three are backbends that benefit the entire back when done properly. In fact, if you think of Cobra as mainly lower back, you're not going to get very far . . .

This is a VERY common Bikram phrase. Where am I going wrong in my thinking or is this something someone said once and people liked the way it sounded?

G
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-21 9:43 AM (#5559 - in reply to #5557)
Subject: RE: Q for Yoga Dancer

It really has become a buzz phrase with Bikram teachers. Ask 'em why or what it means and they probably can't tell you.

"Good for..." is also relative. If someone has anything out of place, ruptured or herniated? Contraindicated takes on seriously new meaning.

They "work on" different parts of the spine, naturally. Actually, if you were simply to do Shalabhasana with the many different arm positions, not straining to throw your legs up into the air? You get far more benefits and strength building in the spine than all three variations you mentioned.

The trick with cobra, which I mentioned once here is to isometrically pull your hands backwards to increase the arch. Absolutely no butt clenching, and belly button on the floor. (Once the belly button is up, it's Adho Mukha Svanasana withn entirely different set of instructions.) As you lower back down in cobra, still pull your hands backwards to elongate and pull your torso forward. You'll feel a huge relief (not release, but rather relief) in your lower back that usually crunches as you lower back down. It makes it a whole 'nother pose. The thing you don't realize while doing cobra, is if your arms are working in this way, you're really working your triceps, you're working your lower abs, working not to clench your butt (or teeth) is muscle work, etc. So once again, every pose is a total body pose, even though you might not feel it in every muscle.

Shalabhasana in the Bikram method is iffy to me in many ways. First, it's not a beginner pose. Second, it's hell on the elbow joints, possibly straining tendons Bikram claims are "opening up." Third, you're crunching your chest inwards, when in yoga we want to open things up. You can actually dislocate your clavicle, just like the sacrum, in this variation.

The problems with Shalabhasana are compounded in Paripurna Shalabhasana. Add in this weight and strain of getting the legs up, ask yourself what's going on in someone's weaker lower back?

I could go on, but in a nutshell, you are correct. "Done properly" are the keywords here. You can't do 1/2 a backbend, because all your spinal muslces will be involved. It's how they're done that makes the difference.

I use Shalabhasana with different arm positions in my gentle class a lot. Rather than up, we think out. Reaching forward with the hands, reaching backwards with the feet, hip bones on the floor. It elongates and strengthens. It's also so miserable no one realizes what good they're actually doing for their bodies! :lol

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-21 11:20 PM (#5568 - in reply to #5559)

It would be nice to be able to offer more variations on some of these poses. I cut down to teaching one class a week, and I still feel burnt out on teaching the Bikram. I really enjoy my students and feel like I have something to offer them, but I feel tired. Maybe I need to get to a Bikram workshop and re-ignite the fire under my butt!

Posted 2004-04-22 7:06 AM (#5575 - in reply to #5568)

How about hosting a workshop Gwyn? I bet your students would appreciate it and that might get you pumped as well.

My Cats' Mom - 2004-04-21 10:20 PM

It would be nice to be able to offer more variations on some of these poses. I cut down to teaching one class a week, and I still feel burnt out on teaching the Bikram. I really enjoy my students and feel like I have something to offer them, but I feel tired. Maybe I need to get to a Bikram workshop and re-ignite the fire under my butt!

My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-22 9:31 AM (#5578 - in reply to #5575)

I can't personally host a workshop without Bikram's permission, which would undoubtedly be denied. That would be something only the studio owner could do. Last I heard, they were trying to get Bikram to come here. Haven't heard much about it lately, though, so I'm guessing they were turned down.

I am going to an Anusara workshop with John Friend this weekend. I am really looking forward to it but doubt that it will make me any happier about teaching my cookie-cutter class. In fact, it may have the opposite effect We'll see!

I think I just need to shift my teaching perspective from what it's doing for me to what it's doing for my students.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-22 9:43 AM (#5580 - in reply to #5578)

Gwen,
If your yoga isn't serving you, it isn't serving your students. It's not really possible to separate the two without frustration on one end or the other. At least in my experience.

I'm off to a Beryl Bender Birch weekend myself. I look forward to what you think of the energy at the JF weekend. I'm not hot on some things, but what I do enjoy is the kula. It's an amazing group of people. It's also almost a funny high to spend so much time with people who can understand the passion for what yoga offers.

I digress.

Take what you want and leave the rest. From both and all yoga traditions. There is nothing that is a loss if choosing not to incorporate something you've learned. I feel glad I can "speak" many different traditions' lingo and thought processes, because it makes me more effective if I get someone in who has never experinced the type I might be currently teaching. They feel more at home, they understand what I'm hoping to accomplish, and they learn a little new from being in a different tradition's class.

No one ever said we must only practice one style, right? Well, that is (sorry) other than Mr. Bikram. Think of it as studying languages. Multi-lingual people have a hugely expanded world.

Have fun this weekend!
Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-22 9:50 AM (#5581 - in reply to #5580)

Thanks, Christine, for the support.

I'll let you know how the weekend goes. I'm expecting the workshop to be soooo different from my Bikram experience. I know it will be more "flowery" in some respects but I have really enjoyed the teachers and students I have met. I'm looking forward to spending some time with them, just as you said.

Gwyn
Tibard
Posted 2004-04-22 10:15 AM (#5582 - in reply to #5557)
Subject: RE: another question for Yoga Dancer

Christine,

Your recommendations last week for awkward pose really helped me out. Now I have another issue and I'm hoping you can lend your expertise.
In fixed firm, camel and rabbit, whenever I have to stand or put a lot of weight on my left knee, I have pain in the protruding bone just below my knee bone. When I press on it, it's tender. It's not a bruise and I just started experiencing the pain within the last week or so.
My remedy right now is to put a washcloth under my left knee when I'm practicing the above mentioned postures. The extra cushioning makes a huge difference.
I spoke to one of my Bikram teachers about it and she suggested I see my doctor if it doesn't get better in a week or so. Any idea why this is happening?
Appreciate the input.....

Posted 2004-04-22 10:26 AM (#5583 - in reply to #5578)
Subject: Burn out

I'm dissapointed to hear burnout happens as a yoga teacher--guess I was naive and thought it only happened to me. Accordning to Henry Nelis, author of "Avoiding Burnout," these are the warning signs with a very yogic remedy:
1. chronic fatigue - exhaustion, tiredness, a sense of being physically run down
2. anger at those making demands
3. self-criticism for putting up with the demands
4. cynicism, negativity, and irritability
5. a sense of being besieged
6. exploding easily at seemingly inconsequential things
7. frequent headaches and gastrointestinal disturbances
8. weight loss or gain
9. sleeplessness and depression
10. shortness of breath
11. suspiciousness
12. feelings of helplessness
13. increased degree of risk taking

Fight burnout. Do what you were designed to do.

My Cats' Mom - 2004-04-22 8:31 AM

I can't personally host a workshop without Bikram's permission, which would undoubtedly be denied. That would be something only the studio owner could do. Last I heard, they were trying to get Bikram to come here. Haven't heard much about it lately, though, so I'm guessing they were turned down.

I am going to an Anusara workshop with John Friend this weekend. I am really looking forward to it but doubt that it will make me any happier about teaching my cookie-cutter class. In fact, it may have the opposite effect We'll see!

I think I just need to shift my teaching perspective from what it's doing for me to what it's doing for my students.
Tibard
Posted 2004-04-24 11:27 PM (#5668 - in reply to #5557)
Subject: RE: another Q for Yoga Dancer

I'm bumping this topic up in the hopes Yoga dancer will see it. Thanks

YogaDancer

Your recommendations last week for awkward pose really helped me out. Now I have another issue and I'm hoping you can lend your expertise.
In fixed firm, camel and rabbit, whenever I have to stand or put a lot of weight on my left knee, I have pain in the protruding bone just below my knee bone. When I press on it, it's tender. It's not a bruise and I just started experiencing the pain within the last week or so.
My remedy right now is to put a washcloth under my left knee when I'm practicing the above mentioned postures. The extra cushioning makes a huge difference.
I spoke to one of my Bikram teachers about it and she suggested I see my doctor if it doesn't get better in a week or so. Any idea why this is happening?
Appreciate the input.....
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-25 5:28 PM (#5688 - in reply to #5557)

Tibard,
I was away for the weekend at a workshop. Also, I have my mail set to get notifications of updates on threads in which I participate, so it's not necessary to "bump up" a thread. I seldom look at the actual boards unless I'm procrastinating over something else.

I cannot pretend to diagnose your knee. It's getting far to specific. The protrusion normally found just below someone's knee cap is the shin bone (one of them, anyway). People's knees are so (weird) different, it's hard to guess why yours is painful. You might just be sensitive. Have you had any knee injuries in your entire life? How about bruising? Do you do it easily? Are you pulling the skin of your knees up towards your thighs when you sit into these poses? Just lift your knee and kind of pull the skin up. Are your ankles rolling in or out? (Rabbit is one where people normally roll out, Camel in.)

Frankly, unless there's existing injury, I'd suggest you pad yourself with a washcloth and run with it. Some people just can't take the weight of bone on skin and it hurts. It's all about doing what's right for your very unique, individual body. Unless there is injury, I'd look at alignment (which I cannot see) and padding. I wouldn't worry about a doctor's visit, since padding seems to resolve much of the problem.

But seriously, not being able to see you, this advice might not be on target. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like your teacher has a clue, either. Is there another yoga teacher to which you have access?

Christine
Tibard
Posted 2004-04-25 8:43 PM (#5694 - in reply to #5557)

Christine,

Thanks for the reply. I'm fortunate to have more than one Bikram studio in my area so I can ask another Bikram instructor their thoughts. Your suggestion (padding the knee with a washcloth) is what I've been doing the past two classes and just as you've said, it feels better when I do this. I glad to hear it may not be anything serious as I really didn't want to take a trip to the dear old Doctor. To answer your question, I've never had any knee problems. I only started getting knee aggravations when I started Bikram (uh oh! !) Hopefully, as I modify, my knee problems will subside. Thanks so much for your consideration of my problem!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)