YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

distractions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

mummy
Posted 2004-04-23 10:23 PM (#5642)
Subject: distractions

During class today, there were many distractions;
A couple of weightlifters were there, having a very difficult time... a couple of people came in late... someone's cel phone kept ringing, and nobody would claim it as theirs (turns out it belonged to one of the weightlifters, but was on a different ring so he didn't notice...?)... a student was pointing out other student corrections to the teacher...

And the teacher was very cool about it... just rolled with it.

I find that on days where there are more distractions in the room, it almost provides even MORE of a background on which to stay focused. You're forced to work harder to not be distracted...
It's like you must DECIDE where to place your attention.... just like OUTSIDE the yoga studio!

Distractions can be a great tool sometimes...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-04-24 8:43 AM (#5652 - in reply to #5642)
Subject: RE: distractions

Interesting observation on distractions. Difficult for me though as I struggle so hard to attempt some asanas that distractions give me an excuse to cease--I'm so weak

mummy - 2004-04-23 9:23 PM

During class today, there were many distractions;
A couple of weightlifters were there, having a very difficult time... a couple of people came in late... someone's cel phone kept ringing, and nobody would claim it as theirs (turns out it belonged to one of the weightlifters, but was on a different ring so he didn't notice...?)... a student was pointing out other student corrections to the teacher...

And the teacher was very cool about it... just rolled with it.

I find that on days where there are more distractions in the room, it almost provides even MORE of a background on which to stay focused. You're forced to work harder to not be distracted...
It's like you must DECIDE where to place your attention.... just like OUTSIDE the yoga studio!

Distractions can be a great tool sometimes...
LoraB
Posted 2004-04-24 12:32 PM (#5656 - in reply to #5642)

I was just thinking about this last night, strangely enough. I visited a new studio last week and was thrilled with the whole experience. I couldn't help but grin for an hour and forty-five minutes of class - during the entire class, and I'm only used to an hour, really. I usually practice at the gym, but this was a studio, with nothing but yoga-minded people in a warm, calm, and quiet environment. Faaaaaabulous. But I think that was made better by the fact that working to stay focused at the gym (hgue windows to let in Chicago cold and wind, studio only seperate from the machine room by a curtain, and AC/DC playing in the background....) involves so much concentration that that skill is developed much quicker than many of the asanas are. They can definitely be a tool for growth. Like anything, it's what you make of it.

Posted 2004-04-24 1:05 PM (#5657 - in reply to #5656)

That's the best description of the worst yoga environment I've ever heard I used to box and after several years break, I tried to find a gym but could only get one where boxing was offered in a "Family" atmosphere--rugrats all over the place. I like specialization--yoga in a standalone environment, same for boxing. Gaolf courses are for golf, bowling alleys for bowling--that's the way it should be.

LoraB - 2004-04-24 11:32 AM

I was just thinking about this last night, strangely enough. I visited a new studio last week and was thrilled with the whole experience. I couldn't help but grin for an hour and forty-five minutes of class - during the entire class, and I'm only used to an hour, really. I usually practice at the gym, but this was a studio, with nothing but yoga-minded people in a warm, calm, and quiet environment. Faaaaaabulous. But I think that was made better by the fact that working to stay focused at the gym (hgue windows to let in Chicago cold and wind, studio only seperate from the machine room by a curtain, and AC/DC playing in the background....) involves so much concentration that that skill is developed much quicker than many of the asanas are. They can definitely be a tool for growth. Like anything, it's what you make of it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)