YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga to do backstage?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

ChristyG
Posted 2004-04-28 10:24 AM (#5778)
Subject: yoga to do backstage?

Hi. One of the things that I forgot to tell you when I was joining is that I'm in a theatre group. We've no show forthcoming-we just finished one- but I have a question. Do you have any yoga asanas that can lessen (although I don't want to get rid totally of them, because they ARE necessary!!) pre-show nerves? I would be grateful if any members of this forum would be able to answer the question, because I actually ENJOY a certain amount of nervousness, too much-especially on opening night- is dangerous!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-04-28 11:17 AM (#5779 - in reply to #5778)
Subject: RE: yoga to do backstage?

Savasana (corpse pose) comes to mind immediately to calm the nerves--possibly keep your eyes open to avoid getting TOO relaxed and losing the enthusiam entirely. If going into that asana is too deep, what works for me is Balasana (the child's pose)--feels good to me and is comportable with the face down keeping out distractions and letting me relax BUT, when coming out of it, I kinda think of is as uncoiling and ready to roll on smoothly rather than waking up from a savasana-induced too relaxed state...there's also the traditional shot of Jack Daniels that might do the trick.

ChristyG - 2004-04-28 9:24 AM

Hi. One of the things that I forgot to tell you when I was joining is that I'm in a theatre group. We've no show forthcoming-we just finished one- but I have a question. Do you have any yoga asanas that can lessen (although I don't want to get rid totally of them, because they ARE necessary!!) pre-show nerves? I would be grateful if any members of this forum would be able to answer the question, because I actually ENJOY a certain amount of nervousness, too much-especially on opening night- is dangerous!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-10 9:55 AM (#6167 - in reply to #5778)
Subject: RE: yoga to do backstage?

I can't see someone going into a show lying down. It's not gonna happen!

I'd suggest exploring Pranayama. You probably already do breathing exercises. This would expand on what you already know, directing that nervous excitement into productive, refreshing energy. You can do Pranayama standing, or kneeling in Virasana. Sitting in Sukhasana might be too demanding given pre-show activity.

The absolute minimum Pranayama would be to simply count your breaths. Make them even, so In-2-3-4 pause-2-3-4 out-2-3-4 pause 2-3-4.

Regularity helps calm the nerves and this can be done absolutely anywhere!

Neck stretches are also good, but not those evil type where people roll their head in circles. The neck is not a ball joint. The type taking the ear to the shoulder, then tipping your chin down towards your armpit and back and forth, kind of nodding left and right. Move very slowly in and out of this position.

Move your chin down towards your heart, then lift the crown of your head as far UP (not back) as you can, then lift your chin, keeping this extension. Stick your lower jaw out SO FAR that you feel the mucles in your neck stretch a bit. (Excellent for double chins.)

have fun.

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)