YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ashtanga DVD's
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-29 4:51 PM (#5818)
Subject: Ashtanga DVD's

Is anyone familiar with the following Ashtanga DVD's: Ashtanga Yoga - John Scott, Intro to Ashtanga Yoga - Richard Freeman, Ashtanga 1st Series - David Swenson?

I'm looking for something more for informational purposes, not for a home practice. If I decide I would like to actually try it, I would go to a class but there don't seem to be any "Intro" Ashtanga classes around here so I thought a DVD might be a good way to get familiar with it.

The John Scott DVD is pricey at $35 but it does sound pretty cool with 2 audio options and optional camera angles.

Any suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
amechan
Posted 2004-04-30 8:58 AM (#5839 - in reply to #5818)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga DVD's

Hi Kathy Ann,

I am not personally familiar with John Scott's or Richard Freeman's DVDs, but have heard many good things about them. I do have David Swenson's DVD and find it to be very useful (both for informational purposes and for home practice). He includes a 30-minute introductory segment in which he covers bandhas and ujjayi (sp?) breathing. He also breaks down the jump back and jump through (both of which I have yet to find myself doing in my own practice!). The next hour and half is the full primary series. He adds useful tips for alignment, and also includes modifications. I think his DVD is excellent, and his gift for instruction comes through. Of course, since I have no reference, I'm slightly biased. Hope this helps!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-30 3:14 PM (#5850 - in reply to #5818)

Thanks amechan for the info.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-30 6:50 PM (#5852 - in reply to #5850)

Richard Freeman's is the slowest and easiest to follow if you're new. Since the series doesn't change, the yoga is the same but the discussion is a tiny bit better. They're the 3 I'd recommend, although you'll seldom find me recommending a yoga video.

You know how to best use one of these puppies, don't you? It's not like aerobics where you throw it in and try to follow.

Kathy Ann, to this form of yoga, you are a newbie. Well, at 6 months or so you're a newbie anyway, right? This "family" of yoga, which includes Anusara, Ashtanga, Viniyoga, Iyengar and several off-shoots, is totally different than the Bikram Form in style, preformance and purpose of the pose. I am not being snotty when I say this, but if you haven't read how to use one of these dangerous, accidents-waiting-to-happen they call videos, please let me give you a brief run-down? Particularly if you're going to try a form of yoga that is my joy. I'd want you to experience it as positively as you can, vs. it being a really stressful, difficult and potentially injury-possible experience, OK?

Thanks,
Christine
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-30 8:08 PM (#5858 - in reply to #5818)

Christine,

Thanks for your response. No offense taken.

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I have NO intention of actually trying to follow along with the video if I get one. I only wanted it to observe so I could get familiar PRIOR to taking a class, IF I decide I have enough interest. Does that change your opinion of the various videos? Are you familiar with the John Scott one? It just seemed to have some cool features that the others didn't, especially if I was just going to view it, not follow along. I'm just exploring, want to get familiar with the different styles. I don't have the discipline to do ANYTHING like that at home!

This may be a lost cause anyway. There are very few Ashtanga classes around here. Lots of Anusara and Bikram.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-01 10:33 AM (#5874 - in reply to #5818)

All three are really nice tapes. You can't go wrong with any of them, so pick the one that strikes your fancy.

C.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)