YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Figuring out the grip
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

summit meg
Posted 2004-05-04 8:28 PM (#5970)
Subject: Figuring out the grip

I have been doing Bikram yoga 6xs per week for over a month and am loving it. However, I am having the hardest time with any of the postures that require you to first interlace your fingers all the way to the webbing and then get into the posture. I have to grab my foot and then try to get my hands together, but it's just really difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm guessing that I have a combination of really tight shoulders and tight hamstrings....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-05-05 7:33 AM (#5982 - in reply to #5970)
Subject: RE: Figuring out the grip

I'd say you're guessing is correct PLUS, the hands are very sweaty making it darn hard to get that grip. In my classes, some of the most accomplished students are constantly wiping thier hands with a towel.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-05 9:46 AM (#5991 - in reply to #5970)

If they allow it in your studio, keep a dry washcloth tucked in the back of your pants to wipe your hands.

Don't worry if you have to grab the foot first and then adjust your grip. These things take time. Tips for the grip: Once the fingers are interlocked, press the fingertips into tops of the hands to reinforce the grip. In other words, bend the fingers until they are pressing very tightly into the hands. Now, try and pull the fingers apart while keeping the pressed into the tops of the hands. It is very difficult to separate them. Now, try it keeping the fingers more straight. Do you see how much more easily the grip separates without the action of the fingers?

Also, if you're having a hard time picking up your foot, it's ok to bend the knee initially. Throughout the pose, make sure the lower abs are drawn in to protect your lower back. And don't be in a rush to raise the leg. You've no doubt heard this: as a beginner, the pose is good for developing patience & determination
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-05 3:38 PM (#6004 - in reply to #5970)

It took me several months at 3 classes per week to be able to get "the grip", especially in Standing Head to Knee. For me, I think it was a combination of a lack of strength in my hands and the sweatiness. I was amazed when I was finally able to do it. Now I can even touch my head to my knee (only for a second before losing balance) in Standing Head to Knee which is a long way from where I started. Definitely try the washcloth tucked in the back and dry your hands before starting, and get into the posture by moving the leg where you need to before firming up the grip.

Our instructors also emphasize that the Seated Head to Knee can really help you a great deal with the Standing Head to Knee. Great time to practice your grip with your knee bent as much as you need to, just gradually straightening it out.

Hang in there!
summit meg
Posted 2004-05-05 4:05 PM (#6005 - in reply to #5970)

Thanks Kathy Ann and MCM. I had a much easier time in class today - it was especially helpful to remember to keep the abs in to try to create more space. I'll keep working at it!

Meg

Posted 2004-05-05 5:06 PM (#6007 - in reply to #6005)

Hey! I sypathized and suggested the towel first--no thanks to me eh? Just Kathy Ann am Gwyn. That's Ok though...I won't hold a grudge...I'm SOOO needy though.

summit meg - 2004-05-05 3:05 PM

Thanks Kathy Ann and MCM. I had a much easier time in class today - it was especially helpful to remember to keep the abs in to try to create more space. I'll keep working at it!

Meg
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-05 5:46 PM (#6012 - in reply to #5970)

Poor wittle Brucie! You did mention the towel but not the tucking it into your pants part so you don't have to bend over to get it - that's the key! Of course, Gwyn mentioned it before I did.

Posted 2004-05-05 9:53 PM (#6019 - in reply to #5970)

I keep my towel on the floor so I HAVE to bend to get it--I need every additional forward bend I can manage.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-06 9:16 AM (#6029 - in reply to #6019)

Bruce -- haven't you realized that the Bikram series is perfect in its design? Do not add or detract from it!

Seriously, though -- all those forward bends to pick up your towel not only disrupt your practice and eat up energy that needs to be devoted to the asanas, it is also distracting for those around you. In fact, there are some studios that are pretty strict about bending down and sopping up your sweat. I like the washcloth tucked in the back because I don't really feel like I'm cheating. The dialogue says to dry/wipe your hands first before picking up the foot, and I do! Just not on my already soaked pants . . .

Peace,
Gwyn
HillBillyYogi
Posted 2004-05-06 12:06 PM (#6035 - in reply to #5970)

agreed - all those forward bends waste valuable energy! so keep it tucked in your pants & wipe your hands dry often. also be sure to include the thumbs in your grasp.

Posted 2004-05-06 12:42 PM (#6036 - in reply to #6029)

I ain't tucking nuthin in my pants except my stuff--and if bending is distracting, those distractees need to focus. My bending can't be more distracting than people grunting and groaning around me while I remain in perfect control of my breath
My Cats' Mom - 2004-05-06 8:16 AM

Bruce -- haven't you realized that the Bikram series is perfect in its design? Do not add or detract from it!

Seriously, though -- all those forward bends to pick up your towel not only disrupt your practice and eat up energy that needs to be devoted to the asanas, it is also distracting for those around you. In fact, there are some studios that are pretty strict about bending down and sopping up your sweat. I like the washcloth tucked in the back because I don't really feel like I'm cheating. The dialogue says to dry/wipe your hands first before picking up the foot, and I do! Just not on my already soaked pants . . .

Peace,
Gwyn
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-06 12:55 PM (#6038 - in reply to #5970)

Grasshopper say: "That Bruce is one stubborn yogi".

Posted 2004-05-06 6:10 PM (#6052 - in reply to #6038)

**** right Grasshopper! The world's greatest doofus was at class this morning--spinning like a freaking top to "warm up," grunting and groaning like an idiot during each asana. By the end of the standing postures I'd had it with the idiot, grabbed my mat and water and said adios. My sweet little teacher asked, "Are you allright?" Told her fine, just had to go--didn't want to disrupt the others though with the idiot, I'm sure they were already distracted. What a hamster...sheesh..OK, I'm fine now...
Kathy Ann - 2004-05-06 11:55 AM

Grasshopper say: "That Bruce is one stubborn yogi".
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-06 8:13 PM (#6058 - in reply to #5970)

I had a similar experience last night but not quite as bad. There is a guy that I have seen quite a few times in class and he seemed pretty normal. Well, last night he was right behind me and I was treated to all kinds of groaning and moaning from him. It was a bit distracting.

Grasshopper say: "It takes all kinds, I guess."

Couldn't you just have moved to another part of the room?

Posted 2004-05-06 10:41 PM (#6068 - in reply to #6058)

Kathy Ann, you asked, "Couldn't you just have moved to another part of the room?" Well it isn't that big of a room and there are floor to ceiling mirrors on three walls AND I was there first AND I just came out of oral surgery the day before with a bone graft and implant AND wasn't it the mood to be charitable--think I'll go take a vicodin now...
HillBillyYogi
Posted 2004-05-07 9:02 AM (#6071 - in reply to #5970)

don't let your enviroment control you like that

Posted 2004-05-07 10:01 AM (#6078 - in reply to #6071)

Sometimes I just have to rage against that which I wish to control.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-07 5:50 PM (#6106 - in reply to #6078)

Thanks for the laugh, Bruce. Oh, the mental image!

Posted 2004-05-07 7:29 PM (#6111 - in reply to #6106)

The image of me ranting or that doofus spinning around--I wanna slap him...and I may too if I take the vicodin then go to class in the morning.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-09 12:01 PM (#6147 - in reply to #6111)

"spinning like a freaking top" hee hee

Posted 2004-05-09 12:56 PM (#6149 - in reply to #6147)

It is goofy--and it's not in just one place either--he careens all around the room like an idiot--a disbeliving friend asked, "Like Wonder Woman?" Exactly!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)