YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

locust pose and rabbit pose
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Audrey
Posted 2004-05-05 12:34 AM (#5977)
Subject: locust pose and rabbit pose

Dear All

I just started Bikram yoga (5 lessons). I love it but had problem doing locust pose. Which muscle did you use to life up one leg (either left or right) and which muscle you use to lift both legs up?? Do I need to tighten my butt and thigh for the single and both leg raise?

Secondly, after rabbit pose, I would feel a mild chest discomfort whenever I finish this pose. Only this pose would makes my chest feel discomfort?? Any idea.

Thank you.
Audrey
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-05-05 7:53 AM (#5984 - in reply to #5977)
Subject: RE: locust pose and rabbit pose

I got this one Audrey--the muscles called upon in locust and the buttocks, lower back, aong the legs and in the belly, arms and shoulders--quite a lot actually if you want to do it right--it took me 6 months of regular practice to feel like I was doing it right. THEN when you feel the relatively HUGE breakthrough when both legs come up high, it's prety darn cool. Here you're looking for leverage in the arms and shoulders as well as increased strength in the belly. I have only been able to do this well when my hips and back got lose enough toenable the raise and I really felt it. However, it didn't happen until one day as I was preparing for the asana, I let go of all my fear of the "agony" and relaxed thinking to myself, I really don't give a **** if it happens or not--and presto--there it was.

As for the rascally rabbit, your teacher will probably tell you the mild discomfort is caused by the compression of head to chest and fighting to keep the head on the knees as you raise your hips--not a position you normally find yourself in and you've only just started regular practice. My teachers say rabbit is more difficult for women due the shorter femur bones. I have no trouble doing it--but will trade you my prowess there for some of your flexibility in firm-fixed--that one really hurts me!

Audrey - 2004-05-04 11:34 PM

Dear All

I just started Bikram yoga (5 lessons). I love it but had problem doing locust pose. Which muscle did you use to life up one leg (either left or right) and which muscle you use to lift both legs up?? Do I need to tighten my butt and thigh for the single and both leg raise?

Secondly, after rabbit pose, I would feel a mild chest discomfort whenever I finish this pose. Only this pose would makes my chest feel discomfort?? Any idea.

Thank you.
Audrey
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-05 9:31 AM (#5988 - in reply to #5977)

Audrey -- Is the discomfort in the sternum (between the breasts)? When you are rounded forward, esp. as a beginner, there is a tendency to round the shoulders forward. Once you are in the pose, make sure your shoulders aren't hunching around your ears. Draw the armpits up and then draw the shoulders back away from the ears.
Audrey
Posted 2004-05-05 8:08 PM (#6014 - in reply to #5977)

Thank you so much guys for the reply. Really appreciated.

I had do the yoga at home last night (no heated room). Updates:
The 1st set of locust: both legs raised slightly higher (can feel it when I let go my feeling (struggling feeling). However, when I do my 2nd set: struggling feeling comes in, and the legs just refuse to move!! I guess I have to learn to let go whatever thoughts when I do yoga.

Concerning rabbit:
I did not take note if I have rounded my shoulder, I will try to notice it next time.
The discomfort is on the centre of the chest or slightly right (beside the heart). It only last a little while (only happens when I finish the rabbit and going to lie on corpse pose). After that is okay.

Thank you so much.
Audrey

Posted 2004-05-15 5:25 PM (#6431 - in reply to #6014)

How's that rabbit coming kiddo? I'm no doctor but it doesn't sound serious.
Audrey
Posted 2004-05-17 8:04 PM (#6524 - in reply to #6431)

Dear Bruce

While doing rabbit pose: Still NOT ABLE to touch forehead to knee.... trying pretty hard but in vain!! I suppose it is 3 to 4 inches apart. When I try to walk the knee to forehead, the forehead also moves away.... ha ha ha....

Now my locust is getting better, can feel it. Sense of satisfaction.

Cheers
Audrey

Posted 2004-05-17 9:26 PM (#6525 - in reply to #6524)

How's your chest pain? Gone? It may not make a lot of sense but you said you're trying real hard--don't try so hard--relax into it. I used to try and bull my way thru but , like in camel, once I relaxed and didn't tighten my muscles, there I was doing it. Too kiddo, you're just getting started and as I'm sure your teacher's have said, it'll come...just like your locust. Way to keep at it kiddo!
Audrey
Posted 2004-05-18 12:15 AM (#6531 - in reply to #6525)

Rabbit: The chest pain (more on right side of the body) is on and off. Maybe I have to come up slowly, pause a while then go to corpse pose. This would prevent the chest pain.
I suppose my action is too fast... still evaluating the process. When I slowly come up, it seems okay. I focus the weight on knee and hand holding to the heels. Trying not to put any weight on the crown of my head.

Locust: double leg raising is really strenenous, but now getting better at it. My hand and arm is doing the toughest work. I realize my shoulder did not really touch the floor. It will lift off the floor as I raise both legs. Any comment?? I guess if the shoulder, arm, hand all touches and support the lifting, might be able to lift the legs higher. I am wearing spectacle, did not really use the face to support the weight, just using my mouth......

Posted 2004-05-18 6:14 AM (#6541 - in reply to #6531)

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, thinking about how you should be positioning and working toward perfection kiddo. I had to laugh a little as it sounds like my practice, thinking a lot and needing to relax more I leave my spectacles in the dresing room--don't want to see anything--too much work to do.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)