YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Availabilty of quality yoga...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

swimmy
Posted 2004-05-05 12:05 PM (#5995)
Subject: Availabilty of quality yoga...

So happy to have found this forum. I'm feeling confused and frustrated with my Bikram practice. I have been practising Bikram for 3 months now (4-5x a week). I am frustrated with the practice and my teachers because I don't feel like my pain/safety concerns are addressed like they are in other types. First and foremost, I love the practice of yoga. I love the way it makes me feel--during, after, all the time. My concern is the quality of instruction. Where I live Bikram is the only type of yoga that there is a large demand for and the quality and supply of hatha, iyengar, and ashtanga teachers is poor to none. I do not like using video tapes. I need the energy of a class. So my question: if I feel uncomfortable in Bikram (my knees kill me afterwards even with modifications) but the other teachers in town are aerobic instructors with a weekend certification in "power yoga" what should I do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-05 1:37 PM (#5996 - in reply to #5995)
Subject: RE: Availabilty of quality yoga...

Swimmy:
What is this question? You can a) go to another town for a class, sacrificing some time. b) Invite a teacher to your town for a Yoga Workshop of 1 to 2 weeks. I am ready. Then, this teacher can give you some additions to be used at Home Practice or In Your Bikram Class. c) Form a group of Yoga Students who attend my Workshop and then all of you practice together.

Best Luck. Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-05 2:00 PM (#5999 - in reply to #5995)

Hi swimmy,

Sorry to hear of your frustration. I have been doing Bikram for about 7-8 months now, 3 times per week. I am very happy with my practice but I am certainly no expert and have very little exposure to other styles of yoga. But here are a few ideas you might consider (if you haven't already):

Try other Bikram studios in the area.

Try discussing your issues with the owner of the studio.

Try to determine if you are experiencing muscle soreness which may go away after time or actual pain.

Try to determine which particular asanas are bothering your knees and if even further modifications don't help, try just sitting them out altogether, at least for a while. I know the Bikram instructors will try to get you to do the postures the "Bikram way" but if you just sit one out, I don't think they would say anything to you.

I don't know if you are familiar with Tony Sanchez and his Yoga Challenge series. He was a student of Bikram and has incorporated most of the Bikram asanas into his series and added some. He eliminated 2 - Fixed Firm and Toe Stand because he felt they were too stressful for the knees. I tried Toe Stand at home but I felt like it was too much stress on my knee so I have still never done it in class, maybe never will.

Just keep in mind that you are paying for the classes so do what you need to do to make it something you enjoy - not a chore. It sounds like you have some experience with other styles so you could try to incorporate some of those principles into your practice. Best of luck.

And, welcome to the forum.
Zen Clicker
Posted 2004-05-05 7:28 PM (#6013 - in reply to #5995)

Hi Swimmy,

It is unfortunate that there are not more styles of yoga available in your area. Bikram has many good features, but it is not for everybody. I did Bikram for almost two years before I switched completely to Iyengar.

The only bit of information I can offer is that "aerobic instructors" can sometimes be very well educated in yoga and you shouldn't dismiss them automatically. Here in Vancouver, for example, the local YMCA's have some very capable staff members that are well trained in Ashtanga and other styles. They are often better informed about injury prevention, nutrition and physiology than many "pure" yogis. Also, "power yoga" is frequently nothing more than basic Hatha whith a more trendy name. Check them all out and then decide.

Namaste,
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-06 9:06 AM (#6028 - in reply to #6013)

Kate -

In what town do you live?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)