YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mantra
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Andrea
Posted 2004-05-12 11:52 AM (#6282)
Subject: Mantra

Where can I learn the opening mantra. I have the words on paper ...but can't figure out how to pronouce them? Thanks!

Andrea
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-12 2:49 PM (#6288 - in reply to #6282)
Subject: RE: Mantra

What is an Opening Mantra? There is NO such a thing as Opening Mantra. I am guessing that you are refering to a particular class or style. Write the words and tell us. To know how to pronounce, there are ONLY two ways. (If some one knows other ways, let us know, that will be revelation).

way a) Sit with someone who knows the pronunciation, as you believe in him/her. Then learn person to person.

way b) get an audio recording from a person who you believe him/her. Then learn from the audio.

If you let me know the mantra, I am sure I can send you an audio recording.

If you are near Northern Virginia, attend my Chanting Class at Sun and Moon Yoga Studio, in Arlington Virginia, Saturday evenings.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Andrea
Posted 2004-05-13 4:02 PM (#6364 - in reply to #6282)

Here are the words!! Thanks!! My email address is: giddy227@aol.com

VANDE GURUNAM CARANARAVINDE
SANDRASITA SVATMA SUKHAVA BODHE
NIH SREYASE JANGALIKAYAMANE
SAMSARA HALAHALA MOHASANTYAI
ABAHU PURUSAKARAM
SANKHACAKRASI DHARINAM
SAHASRA SIRASAM SVETAM
PRANAMAMI PATANJALIM
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-13 10:29 PM (#6376 - in reply to #6282)

Dear Andrea: Since I can not post audio recording here, you have two choices to learn. If you wish to learn from me, the same two options are applicable. However, let me give you the meaning of this Mantram.

If you wish you can email me at neel@authenticyoga.org. Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org

VANDE = I salute with reverence (NOT respect, as done to a flat, but as done to a Godly person)

GURUNAM = of many Gurus, or all Teachers

CARANARAVINDE = lotus feet couples , each teacher has two feet so, the couple is used

SANDRASITA = sam - total, from all angles, dar****a = shown, revealed

SVATMA = sva - self, myself atma = soul, thus my own self

SUKHAVA = happiness, actually bliss Correction sukha not sukhava

BODHE = a couple (of feet) which gives understanding Correction avabodhe not bodhe

Correction the above are NOT three words, it is one word sandar****asvatmasukhavabodhe which means the feet couples which give me happiness experieced through the proper understanding of my self

NIH SREYASE = Corrections nishshreyase = nish = uncomparable, shreyase = beneficial, immensely beneficial

JANGALIKAYAMANE = ( I am not 100 percent sure) like the herbal health practitioner of jungle

SAMSARA HALAHALA MOHASANTYAI = Correction this is one word sansaarahalahalmohasha.ntyai
= samsar = world which is deluded, hahala = poison (originally it mean the poison which came out of chruning the sea for extracting elixir of immortality, amrita, and side effect was halaha which was drunk by lord Shiva, giving him name, Neelkanth = blue throated one).

moha = delusion, that is thinking something of something which actually NOT

shanyai = to pacify, or subside.

I am sure you can join all above to make the full meaning. Now, the bottom one is NOT the same prayer, but a totaly different second prayer, which is a prayer to the Great Sage Patanjali who wrote Patanjali Yoga Aphorisms, the most important text on Rajayoga.

I will now explain this same prayer with chanting in Sun and Moon on the coming Saturay.

Wish you all the best.

ABAHU PURUSAKARAM
SANKHACAKRASI DHARINAM
SAHASRA SIRASAM SVETAM
PRANAMAMI PATANJALIM
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-13 10:32 PM (#6377 - in reply to #6282)

Just to add: Both of these are NOT mantram. But, prayers. You can use them as mantram if you like.
neel kulkarni
CindyS
Posted 2004-05-13 10:39 PM (#6378 - in reply to #6364)

Hi, I could sing it for you. But...I think there are some website's where you can hear the chant.
Erich Schiffman's "moving Into Stillness."
Anything off the Ashtanga.com website.

This is definitely the universal opening chant to start all Ashtanga practises. It is to give thanks to Patanjali, as well as the physician inherit in each of us. May we see through our poisoned existence and our ignorance which is at the root of all suffering. Something to this effect.

It's a nice chant.
There's also a closing one.

~ CindyS.

kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-14 6:47 AM (#6383 - in reply to #6282)

Cindy S. Can you please list the Closing one so that I can include it in my Saturday, tommor, Class. Thanks Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-14 1:07 PM (#6389 - in reply to #6282)

The opening "mantra" for the Ashtanga practice is called an Invocation. It thanks the gurus or all our teachers who have brought the practice to us.

Here is the Phonetic Opening Chant

OHM
VAHN-DAY GOO-ROO-NAHM CHAH-RAH-NAH-RAH-VEEN-DAY
SAHN-DAHR-SHEE-TAH SVAHT-MAH-SOO-KAH-VAH-BOW-DAY
NEE-SHRAH-YAY-SAH JAHN-GAH-LEE-KAH-YAH-MAH-NAY
SAHM-SAHR-RAH HAH-LAH-HAH-LAH MOW-HAH-SHAHN-TYAY
AH-BAH-HOO POO-ROO-SHAH-KAH-RAHM
SHAHN-KAH-SHAH-KRAH-SHREE DAH-REE-NAHM
SAH-HAH-SHRAH SHRI-RAH-SAHM SVAY-TAHM
PRAH-NAH-MAHM-MEE PAH-TAHN-JAH-LEEM
OHM

I hope this helps. Once again, no one needs to leave the board to share things others might ask!

Good luck and enjoy your practice!
Christine
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-14 4:16 PM (#6396 - in reply to #6282)

Guru Christine: (I like this name Bruce gave you). I shall never like to criticize anyone on the board. But, this is not a criticism, it is a Must. Your Pronunciation Key is Wrong, NO doubt about it. Please do not take it negatively, I teach Sanskrit. And, it needs to be corrected. I do not know what is invokation, but it is certainly a prayer. I am not able to give this key without audio file. I will have to leave the board and send an audio file to the original questioner.

And, I shall do it. If you want I shall do it to you as well.

No hard feelings. Smile

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-14 7:52 PM (#6403 - in reply to #6282)

I have offered the translation from the Ashtanga Research Insitute and asked Vyaas Huston about it this weekend. (Founder of the American Sanskrit Institute.) Although I have now learned how to pronounce the alphabet, which I find to be very cool, naturally I'm not a natural at this. However, this is supposedly the closest transliteration (without the diatrics) we could use.

ch = chair not ch=Christine, for example. Obviously it's better with audio. There is also the issue of culture, in that v = fow and w = v if one has a German background, whereas if not, it's v = veggie and w = when.

It's is also called "the Ashtanga Invocation."
I'd love to hear your audio file. I have one, too, somewhere. It's from Pattabhi, who is a Sanskrit scholar. Would be interesting to hear them.

Christine

Edited by YogaDancer 2004-05-14 7:57 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-14 11:20 PM (#6409 - in reply to #6282)

Guru Christine: You can tell Vyasa Houston that I said that what you wrote above is Wrong, and let me know what he says. If he says you are correct, he is wrong, regardless of American Sanskrit Institute.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-17 5:03 PM (#6503 - in reply to #6282)

Well, since I consistantly find much of what you choose to post less than 100%, I probably won't do that. I feel confident with the pronounciation, although it is so hard to describe using western character combinations.

For example, you're always touting your web site. Rather than someone emailing you (again) privately, why don't you upload that audio clip and post a link?

Christine
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-17 5:54 PM (#6517 - in reply to #6282)

Guru Christina: This shows that you do not have Yoga Sprit. You will probably do a good News Paper Journalist. Now, you yourself accept that it is necessary to give Audio Instruction, rather than written text on board. I shall give audio clip to those who request. I taught this prayer in Sun and Moon Yoga last Saturday and an advanced Ashtanga Teachers were present including the one who studied with Pathabi Jois. I can guarantee you that if Pathabi Jois listens to my audio, and I am ready to verify this at any time, he will no doubt agree that my pronunciation and tune is Superior to that of Pathabi Jois. But, alas, your egocentrism stops you from learning. I only feel pity for you.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-18 1:51 AM (#6534 - in reply to #6517)

Interesting and odd. I don't find you on their May workshop schedule.

I don't feel compelled to honor your judgement (I choose that word) of my "yoga spirit" since you know nothing of me. I find myself comfortable in my acceptance of and disgust for your self-promotion, and my own freedom to participate here on the board vs. trying to take conversations off to some private, dark corner of the Internet.

Frankly, I knew we were in the same area, and thought I knew who you are. Sorry to say I was correct.

"..an advanced Ashtanga Teachers (noting the direct disparity in number) were present" certainly means nothing. In this area, the only authorized studio on the Mid Atlantic is the Ashtanga Center at Tenley, where I can honestly say not only have the teachers been required to study with Pattabhi (even if it's some dumb week of taking led classes with him in NYC) before they can teach there, but 2/3 of the students have also done so. Doesn't mean a heck of a lot.

I do agree that audio is important vs. the written, transliterated word, but I don't necessarily agree that yours is the only way. Permit me to quote another tradition: "There are many paths, but there is only one God." And dearheart, you're not it. As Pattabhi was/is a Sanskrit scholar, I'd take his word (although I don't care for what I know of the man based upon my own personal experiences) over yours any day. Given what I know of you both here and locally? The same remains true.

Pity me, but that's your burden. Your opinion of me is not something I choose to take on, given the fact you have never met me, nor spoken with me at all. Learning, particularly about yoga, is my joy. I learned from my major Ashtanga mentors to always, always question until I've experienced something myself. I choose to do that, vs. accepting some very self-important, self-proclaimed, online guru's credentials. I know statements like that make you crazy and inflict surprising ego injuries. However, if you look deeper, you'd notice you always know where you stand with me until I receive further, substantiated information. So feel free to pump further information into me here rather than instructing me or someone else to "...email me at xxxx." In the meanwhile, I learn from you, even if it happens to be learning about something I hope I will never be. I can find something positive in every experience, even if it's that weird. You believe you're correct, rejecting a transliteration you haven't even heard, and upon that base your insults? C'est la vie. It's yours to carry.

In the meanwhile, did you bother to upload that audio or are you still fishing to take conversation and traffic away from a board where many can learn?
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-19 12:07 PM (#6594 - in reply to #6282)

Guru Christina:
Hence forth, excluding this last time, I do not have anything to do with you and your comments.

I am emailing my audio clips to giddy227 as she requested below.
Dear Giddy, you shall receive the email soon. If you wish to share it with someone that is your freedom, and this includes most respectable Pathabi Jois and Vyasa Houston of American Sanskrit Institute.

From the original questioner: Here are the words!! Thanks!! My email address is: giddy227@aol.com

VANDE GURUNAM CARANARAVINDE etc.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-19 12:28 PM (#6595 - in reply to #6282)

Andrea,
Here is a link to the Invocation on the Ashtanga Yoga Research Instutite page. That's as close to a home page as Pattabhi will probably have. It also offers a translation.

My sound card isn't working on this computer (just another thing to take care of) but I recall in the past that this was helpful.

The studio where I practice tries as much as possible to be true to the Practice as it would be in Mysore as they can be. If I recall correctly, this is how the invocation has been done in Mysore and therefore at the Ashtanga Center here in Washington, DC.

Good luck.
Christine
eek!
Posted 2004-06-29 8:18 PM (#7937 - in reply to #6282)

hmm.. honestly, sounds like some deeply bruised egos on both sides. yoga dancer, i doubt your new adversary meant anyone personal harm by asking for advice and talking about their personal teaching practice.

everyone Breathe, dammit!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-06-29 8:47 PM (#7938 - in reply to #7937)

Huh?
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-06-29 9:40 PM (#7942 - in reply to #7938)

shucks! I tried that link and it didn't work - though I got to read the prayer and it's beautiful.

Thanks fo rthe link Christine
TaoOfYoga
Posted 2004-07-07 11:31 PM (#8174 - in reply to #6282)

Link to Richard Freeman's page about the invocation, including the original sanskrit, the transliteration, and an audio file of him and his class reciting it in call and response format (which is good for personal practice as well ) :

http://www.yogaworkshop.com/about_ashtanga_invocation.html

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)