YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikramites
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

LoraB
Posted 2004-05-13 12:22 PM (#6340)
Subject: Bikramites

Kudos to you guys for sticking with it. My regular class last night was between 80 and 90 degrees and probably 90 percent humidity - thought I would keel over at any moment. Had it been any warmer in there I surely would have. Y'all are tough!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-05-13 1:30 PM (#6351 - in reply to #6340)
Subject: RE: Bikramites

Honestly kiddo, I don't even notice the heat anymore...except the absense of it. When I go to other yoga workshops, I miss not being wet--things don't go into position as easily without the sweat--I could oil up I suppose but I'd be such a slick looking asana god, the other folks would be distracted.
summit meg
Posted 2004-05-13 3:28 PM (#6360 - in reply to #6340)

The heat is a funny thing, isn't it? Some days I don't notice it either, Bruce, but today it was so hot in my studio I couldn't believe it! I felt like a beginner again. Who knows what tomorrow will bring...

Posted 2004-05-13 3:54 PM (#6362 - in reply to #6360)

Might have been the humidity--often here asit's been SO rainy latley, the temperature in the room reads as it always does but the humidity is way up.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-13 4:01 PM (#6363 - in reply to #6340)

The heat and humidity (they have a humidifier at the studio I attend) can vary a great deal depending on the instructor for the classes I go to. Sometimes it is very challenging to deal with. It seems fine when it's around 105 (what Bikram suggests) but when they crank it up to 110-115, that's a bit much for me. Or, sometimes the temp isn't so bad but they increase the humidity. Or, worst case, high heat AND high humidity! Personally, I believe the heat should enhance your practice, not be the most challenging part of it.

I do like the heat though, and I agree with Bruce that it feels strange to go to a studio without the heat and do yoga. I did that recently and it just felt strange. It's all what you get used to.

Posted 2004-05-13 4:06 PM (#6365 - in reply to #6363)

Grasshopper Kathy Ann say a mouthful: "Personally, I believe the heat should enhance your practice, not be the most challenging part of it."
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-13 5:25 PM (#6366 - in reply to #6340)

Yeah, I have been waiting for the right opportunity to use that line on the owner of the studio. All in good time.

Posted 2004-05-13 5:39 PM (#6367 - in reply to #6366)

I'll use it tomorrow in your honor here--evenif it ain't hot
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-13 6:53 PM (#6372 - in reply to #6340)

Cool!
mummy
Posted 2004-05-14 4:34 AM (#6380 - in reply to #6340)

One night at the 8PM class a few months ago was what turned out to be the most crowded class they've had EVER at the studio I go to.
...it was just packed, and stacked with people!
Before class even begun, the mirrors were already steamed up, and I was dripping sweat before even standing up to start the breathing.
Brutal, just brutal... people were seriously dropping out of postures and laying down left and right, and a few new people left (can't blame them).
Midway through class I had emptied my big water, and had to ask for another, which was also gone before class was over. Ugh, again; just brutal.
Afterwards, I had a horrid headache (it felt like a 50 lb sack of flour had been dropped on my head) and really just felt disoriented an horrid. I finally conked out and was out HARD for more than 10 hours, and awoke with a dull pounding head (harcore yoga hangover).
...yeah, it CAN be too hot!

Now, that WAS an exception... but I wouldn't want to do it again!

Posted 2004-05-14 10:52 AM (#6387 - in reply to #6380)

Think we Bikramites are all closet masochists.
Tibard
Posted 2004-05-14 5:15 PM (#6398 - in reply to #6340)

Yes.....I'm missing my Bikram right about now...... I'm currently taking Anusara classes (remember my Bikram-induced knee problem? still have it)......don't know how long I'll be out but the doctor said forget about it for awhile.....

Posted 2004-05-14 5:36 PM (#6399 - in reply to #6398)

I recall your knee situation Tina--no problem doing Anusara though? Just that ole Bikram locked knee think eh? I had a new Bikram teacher today--very nice woman but you know, even though the sequence is always the same, the timing of things really throws me off when somebody new gets a going.
Tibard
Posted 2004-05-15 12:01 AM (#6412 - in reply to #6340)

Hi Bruce,

The Anusara hasn't aggravated my knee yet, probably because we aren't practicing any poses that really concentrate on the knee area (unlike Bikram). But I miss the heat!! It's just not the same. I also feel as if I'm losing my Bikram "conditioning". At first, I was happy about not going to Bikram class (kinda like cutting school when I was young), now I just miss it.

Posted 2004-05-15 8:37 AM (#6417 - in reply to #6412)

I know the feeling--it is addicting--you feel like you've really accomplished something. Can't you go back and layoff on the knee-straining posistions?
Tibard
Posted 2004-05-15 5:31 PM (#6432 - in reply to #6340)

Bruce,

That was my original intention but my doctor nixed that idea. Since he's not sure which pose is hurting my knee, I was told not to go for a month. I told him I suspected it was either 1 of 2 poses but...well..let's just say he won. I have to see him again before I return.
I asked my Anusara teacher today about the injury and she knew exactly what it was called (I can't remember right now). She explained it can happen in classes if you strain or push too hard ( who, moi?), I was pretty impressed that she knew the medical/anatomical name for my injury when two Bikram teachers didn't know. Also, I have to agree with Yoga Dancer that my Anusara classes are poses + descriptions/lecture of the various musculature/bones that we are moving during class. They certainly know their sacroiliac!! I hope I can still post in the Bikram forum rather than the Anusara forum, I miss you guys!!!

Posted 2004-05-15 8:48 PM (#6436 - in reply to #6432)

Glad things are going well Tina--come back to Bikram when you can. Misery loves company you know
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-17 3:17 PM (#6487 - in reply to #6340)

Hi Tina,

Feel free to post wherever you like. Good luck with recovery of your knees.

Posted 2004-05-17 4:13 PM (#6493 - in reply to #6487)

And BTW, I got to use K.A.s line today. My teacher commented during class, "Well, we fiddled too much with the humidity control now it's brioken." Perfect, I was in standing savasana and wisely uttered, "The heat and humidity should enhance our practice, not be something we must struggle to overcome." Got at least two affirmative responses from the gang--thanks Kathy Ann!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-17 4:50 PM (#6499 - in reply to #6340)

Great! Now, if I could only get around to using that phrase myself!

Posted 2004-05-17 4:59 PM (#6501 - in reply to #6499)

Next class, just mention to the teacher, "Seems awfully hot in there today..." That'll set him/her up. Oh by the way, new Birkam studio opened up here less than a month ago. The owner took a 900AM class, then taught two afternoon classes--the lad ended up in the emergency room that night on a saline IV drip to get rehydrated. Seems the next day the heating & cooling experts were called in--some like it hot but it surely can be too hot!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-17 7:30 PM (#6521 - in reply to #6340)

OMG! That poor guy! So, to add to the physical duress, I imagine he felt humiliated and will also have difficulty in recruiting new business! Sending good thoughts his way.

Some of the people in class can be so obnoxious, complaining that it's not hot ENOUGH for them. Far better that way than TOO hot for others, in my opinion.

Posted 2004-05-17 7:47 PM (#6522 - in reply to #6521)

Ah he's OK now--drinking mucho sports drinks I'm a thinking. I love it when the teacher asks sometime during practice, "How's the temperature?" Vocal obnoxious guy I am, I usually saunter toward her dripping and say, "Does this tell ya?"
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-18 4:46 PM (#6564 - in reply to #6522)

It's a really bad idea to ask "how's the temperature" during class. You open up a major can of worsms. "It's too hot!" "It's perfect!" "It's too cold!" "Wah!" Crikey, you guys are hard to please

BTW, Bruce: Bikram says, "No such thing as standing savasana." I remember that from training. There is Mountain Pose, though, I think, which is very nice.

Posted 2004-05-18 5:30 PM (#6566 - in reply to #6564)

Mountain pose! That's it--I forgot--thanks Gywn.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)