YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilates and Swimming
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Andy
Posted 2004-05-20 3:23 AM (#6620)
Subject: Pilates and Swimming

Hi, Ive just got a pilates related question and would love some advice. Basically I have lower back pain and have had a 1-1 session with a local pilates instructor. As i have known for awhile, my spine is basically flat from top to bottom, I have NO curves, amazing but true, she was pretty impressed and amazed by this. I cant remember if it has always been like this but i dont think so. The main exercise i do is that I swim (front crawl) every day. She has told me that this is actually bad for me (going against all common sense) and has actually contributed to lengthening my spine to the extreme.

Now i love my swimming and wondered if anyone had any views on whether this sounds feasible before i give it all up?

Thanks for any advice

Andy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-20 10:17 PM (#6644 - in reply to #6620)
Subject: RE: Pilates and Swimming

Andy: Swimming has no effect on making your spine straight. Also, I do not believe that your spine is straight. If it is fully flat yyou can not walk. And, if you do swimming for a say 4 months regularly and feel very good without any extra effort, you should continue it.

All olympic swimmers shall get flat spine if your instruction was true.

Wish you good swimming.

neel kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
reinbeau
Posted 2004-06-17 8:46 PM (#7575 - in reply to #6620)

Andy, you sound like you have what my instructor calls a 'military spine'. With proper instruction you will be able to get some movement and flexibility in your spine. I know nothing of your instructor, but please be sure she is properly trained to help you. Roll-up may seem impossible right now, but eventually you should be able to do it.

As far as swimming, I should think it would be an excellent exercise for you, and I can't imagine anyone 'lengthening a spine to the extreme'. Perhaps you should look for another instructor before you give up either swimming or Pilates!
kirstin
Posted 2004-07-26 3:39 PM (#8666 - in reply to #6620)

Andy, I have a similar spine problem. My spine, however, is flat from the waist to tail bone. I also have lower back problems. Swimming does help, but now I'm trying pilates--I just like the convenience of it. I have an appointment in August with a spine doc. I'll let you know if he says anything enlightning. Keep up the swimming, it can't hurt, based on my experience.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)