YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

foot cramps
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

+elizabeth+
Posted 2004-05-26 10:10 AM (#6843)
Subject: foot cramps

Anyone have any experience with foot cramps during some poses, or advice regarding what to do about it? Specifically, I get a cramp in my foot during Eagle pose -- the foot on the leg crossing over almost always gets a terrible cramp. Short of coming out of the pose and stretching the foot out, is there anything I can do about it?

Also sometimes happens during Standing Bow Pulling, on the foot being pulled...

Suggestions are welcome!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-26 10:58 AM (#6846 - in reply to #6843)
Subject: RE: foot cramps

Develop this pose slowly in amount and time. That means start with min time and min pose, then develop. Take enough rest. NO cramp should occur. Actually, this means, do the pose below Cramping Level and then build the level up.
Neel kUlkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-26 3:41 PM (#6867 - in reply to #6843)

Cramping can be a sign of dehydration due to the loss of electrolytes. Be sure you are adequately hydrated BEFORE class. Drinking too much water during class can make you nauseous. You could try taking a potassium (sp?) supplement or eating bananas (rich in same). Also try drinking some type of electrolyte replacement drink during class. This has worked for me as far as preventing most cramps. I am not an expert on this - just speaking from personal experience.
+elizabeth+
Posted 2004-05-26 4:54 PM (#6870 - in reply to #6867)

Thank you for your thoughts. I believe I'm pretty well hydrated, as I typically have about 100 ounces of water a day before class (a measured bottle so I can keep track) and then lots more afterwards. I have wondered about the electrolyte issue, though, as there have been times when I have gotten a headache about 3/4 way through class. As for an electrolyte drink, would something like adding that Emergen-C stuff to my water work?
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-05-26 5:19 PM (#6871 - in reply to #6843)

I'm not that familiar with Emergen-C but I know they offer that at the Bikram studio I attend. I tried Gatorade but found it to be too sweet. So, I did a little research on the internet and found that Gookinaid Hydralyte seems to closely approximate the electolytes we lose when sweating so I switched to that and have been very happy with it. It has a very mild flavor and comes in a powder form that you mix with water. I drink about a quart of it during a Bikram class.

Of course, electrolytes can be replaced in a more natural way by eating the right mix of foods but the timing is pretty tricky because you can't eat during a Bikram class.

Posted 2004-05-26 5:26 PM (#6872 - in reply to #6843)

Sound advive from all Lizbeth--think Neel is on the mark here--that ole eagle pose has feet going in strange directions causing muscle movements that are a bit foreign--sounds like you don't have them too severe and are staying watered.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-26 5:56 PM (#6873 - in reply to #6872)

As Christine would say, it's important to stay hydrated all day, not just before or just after class. Good way to tell: how concentrated is your urine in the am? Another thing that causes cramping is a calcium deficiency.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)