YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and height increase
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

Eric
Posted 2004-05-27 2:30 PM (#6904)
Subject: Yoga and height increase

Has anyone ever experienced height increased after doing yoga for some time? I'm not expecting 1 foot or anything. Just maybe an inch or two.

Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-05-27 2:36 PM (#6906 - in reply to #6904)
Subject: RE: Yoga and height increase

Eric,
Yogadaner on this board has had a 1/2 inch height increase--but she's a longtime, intense yoga junkie. I've yet to hear about significant height increases.
+elizabeth+
Posted 2004-05-27 2:43 PM (#6907 - in reply to #6904)

I actually think rather than a physical height increase you're more likely to experience a "feeling" of being taller, mostly because you become so much more aware of your posture and so you stop slouching, etc. At least, I've noticed this in myself!
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-27 3:56 PM (#6910 - in reply to #6904)

Dear Eric:
I have this experience during my teachings. But, actually the height increase is due to more flexibility and straight posture as one wrote above. And, as you said it is a small amount.

I would request you not to take any medication to increase height.

REgards
neel
Mary12
Posted 2004-06-01 1:48 AM (#7019 - in reply to #6904)

Yes. I grew one inch from practising yoga. I now stand at 5"1. woo hoo.
I didn't really grow so much as straightened my back.

~ Mary
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-06-01 3:27 PM (#7040 - in reply to #6907)

No, Elizabeth. It's not a feeling.
I measured 1/2" taller. As I have said in the past, the feeling is that I have spent a great deal of time not only extending my spine, but building the muscles to support the extension. That's not a feeling, it's height gain that was not being experienced in my body.

So I'm taller and have broken 5'3".

Christine

Posted 2004-06-01 3:32 PM (#7043 - in reply to #7040)

Is the growth proportional Christine? I mean you don't have like a big ole long face with the extra height settling in you jaw or something do you?

Sorry just couldn't help it.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-06-03 12:06 AM (#7105 - in reply to #7043)

Stinker!

Let's just say it didn't make my husband's eyes pop.

Perhaps next growth spurt!

Christine
nubianyogi
Posted 2004-06-30 8:43 AM (#7981 - in reply to #7105)

Don't worry Christine maybe the next growth spurt will help. Blah to being tall I am 6'0 and it can get a little lonely up here I actually have alot of tall friends and really small cute ones as well. I love them all..
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-06-30 9:13 AM (#7983 - in reply to #7981)

But everyone has to have a dream, right? At least mine is only to be tall(er) and not Queen of the World. Because ... watch out. Dreams do happen! And wouldn't a lot of people be in trouble immediately after my coronation?

My husband is 6'5'' tall and all (yes, 2 sisters, brother, 5 nieces and nephews) are over 6'2. On my side, my sisters are 5'9'' and 5'10'' and although my mother is shrinking (no yoga!) she's still 5'8''. Her male siblings, etc. were all over 6'4''. So although we have shorter relatives (Aunt Mini at 4'9'' for example) I would love to be tall.

I happen to know that I have, however, a HUGE personality.

My sisters says to watch out for short people. They just get in there and bowl everyone over when you least expect it. I agree!

Christine
At a tall and elegant 5'3.25'' tall. Thank you, yoga.
nubianyogi
Posted 2004-06-30 9:30 AM (#7985 - in reply to #7983)

Your sisters are right my friends that are ...let me find the word...not quite as tall as some have very tall personalities. Ever wear high heel shoes. Men love that. Your husband eyes might pop. Pick up a pair of those sexy 4 inch heels. I love them
LoraB
Posted 2004-06-30 9:57 AM (#7989 - in reply to #6904)

5'3.25? Lucky duck! I'm (realllllly) pushing 5'1".

Short, and a lefty to boot. And spunky from day one.
Revampo
Posted 2004-07-12 6:32 PM (#8320 - in reply to #6904)

Naturally short people are always full of energy or something.
kittikat
Posted 2004-09-17 10:14 AM (#10014 - in reply to #6904)

I agree - yoga DOES lead to height increases! (At least it did for me, but maybe that's because I had terrible posture which yoga is beginning to sort out....!
tourist
Posted 2004-09-18 10:46 AM (#10070 - in reply to #10014)

Expert Yogi

I have a tallish yoga friend who has "grown" from yoga and she also has bone loss due to early osteoporosis so she "should" be shrinking. So the muscles supporting her spine have strengthened and lengthened which will help prevent breakage and further deterioration. Yay yoga!

Posted 2004-09-18 11:38 AM (#10073 - in reply to #10070)

I don't doubt that yoga helps one achieve their physiological height potential. I would like to know from you folks who have experienced increased height after some regular practice, how old were you? The reason I wonder is that I know many folks who grow after an age that conventional wisdom says we're done growing. That growth spurt is brought on by a significant lifestyle change for the better. For instance, when somebody enters military service they go through a basic training where nuorishment and exercise is quite a bit improved from what they encountered at home on the farm, the inner city or what have you.
tourist
Posted 2004-09-18 4:33 PM (#10082 - in reply to #10070)

Expert Yogi

My friend was over 50 when she "grew" - truly astonishing. I do know people in their mid twenties who have grown, as you say, past the age when we expect it but still physiologically possible, but this seems to be a totally different phenomenon involving elongation of the musculature.
swetha_lioness
Posted 2006-01-09 5:56 AM (#40480 - in reply to #6904)

hello everybody,
this is swetha from india.22/F;ht:-5'2".i want to increase my height by 2 inches.is it possible at this age?if possible how long will it take approx.?i have joined in a yoga course today only.wht kind of asanas shud i ask my guru,specifically in this regard?
pls give a reply.
thanks in advance
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-09 10:29 AM (#40498 - in reply to #6904)

Generally the asanas which concentrate on straightening the spine help the most with increasing height. Whether or not you actually grow taller is a question I leave to the doctors. I do know that after a couple months I felt an inch or two taller.

Why do you want to be taller?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-09 10:52 AM (#40502 - in reply to #40498)

Expert Yogi

I always feel taller after a good yoga practice. When I haven't practiced in a while, I feel heavier and shorter. So, I suppose there may be some truth to this....maybe that's the reason my pants have felt like they are too short sometimes and then again...back to normal in length too. I thought it was that darn washin' machine, or because those yoga pants I bought from Old Navy were made in China,
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-09 3:01 PM (#40525 - in reply to #6904)

BBB:
Generally, height does not depend on person's nutrition. What I mean is : If person is given better nutrition, that person may not increase in height. And, if person is deprived of needed nutrition, it may result in detriment somewhere other than height in general. Height depends on the constitution of a person. Also, height does not increase substantially after the maturity age, as agains growth in muscles, etc.

Now, one may achieve a small increase in height due to stretching in Yoga, if that shall not be more than an inch or so.

BTW: I watched Portrait of Ireland video the other day, and thoroughly enjoyed music by James Galaway. I wish to purchase that video. It has no speech, only music and Ireland.

GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-09 3:30 PM (#40529 - in reply to #40525)

kulkarnn - 2006-01-09 3:01 PM

Generally, height does not depend on person's nutrition. What I mean is : If person is given better nutrition, that person may not increase in height.

Actually I think this depends on the stage a person is at. In the US people generally enter the military around 18-19 when there is still the potential from some (not a lot) growth. You only have to look at the substantial differences between the two generations of Chinese people to see the difference a good diet makes in earlier development.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-09 7:37 PM (#40550 - in reply to #40525)

Expert Yogi

Actually Neel, I saw a study done in Mexico where they gave vitamin supplements to a group of indigenous people and those children were all taller than their parents or any of the other children in the control group. Quite a lot, actually. 5 inches as I recall and it was only a very small supplement. Unfortunately in a way, those children were also brighter, did better in school and most moved away from their villages to get more education and better jobs.
swetha_lioness
Posted 2006-01-10 2:30 AM (#40570 - in reply to #40498)

hello green jello,
was this the answer to my query?i think so.
i am only 5'2" tall;i find myself being too short when i wear jeans and other trousers!thats the reason y i wanna grow taller.i think 5'2" is not a gud height.
neway thank u so much for the reply;now that u told me that asanas that straighten the spine are beneficial in this regard;can u just tell me how long(the time span) shud each asana be performed and how many times in a day?
thanks once again!!

GreenJello - 2006-01-09 10:29 AM

Generally the asanas which concentrate on straightening the spine help the most with increasing height. Whether or not you actually grow taller is a question I leave to the doctors. I do know that after a couple months I felt an inch or two taller.

Why do you want to be taller?
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-10 9:44 AM (#40585 - in reply to #6904)

I think most of the height increase I think I've experience from yoga has come from straightening the spine, so it's not going to help with your desire to wear longer jeans. Also if I have gained any height, it's probably at most an inch or so, over a 6' frame. As far as asanas or practice go, I'm not a teacher, I can't really help you there.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)