YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and height increase
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

swetha_lioness
Posted 2006-01-11 2:05 AM (#40700 - in reply to #40585)
Subject: RE: Yoga and height increase

thank u so much for the reply,green jello!
GreenJello - 2006-01-10 9:44 AM

I think most of the height increase I think I've experience from yoga has come from straightening the spine, so it's not going to help with your desire to wear longer jeans. Also if I have gained any height, it's probably at most an inch or so, over a 6' frame. As far as asanas or practice go, I'm not a teacher, I can't really help you there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-01-11 10:25 AM (#40720 - in reply to #40700)

Expert Yogi

Hi swetha - I am also 5'2" and I have short-ish legs. I always have to hem my jeans but once tht is done, they look great, if I do say so myself. Wear shoes with a small heel (don't do the big, heavy shoe thing so many shorter women do - it makes you look silly) and be sure your tops fit well and aren't too long so you are well proportioned and you will look lovely And do some yoga asana. It will make you stand straight and look taller and help keep you fit and forget a bit about what is "wrong" with your body.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-11 10:33 AM (#40723 - in reply to #6904)

Tourist wrote: Expert Yogi
Posts: 2915 Actually Neel, I saw a study done in Mexico where they gave vitamin supplements to a group of indigenous people and those children were all taller than their parents or any of the other children in the control group. Quite a lot, actually. 5 inches as I recall and it was only a very small supplement. Unfortunately in a way, those children were also brighter, did better in school and most moved away from their villages to get more education and better jobs.
-----

Well, if the parents were extremely deficient in nutrition, and the children got that nutrition at early age, that would make a difference. But, this does not happen once a person has reached maturity level, let us 18 for now. Next, suppliments if they are real food, then they would make sense. Otherwise, if they make the growth harmones in multiplicity due to exciting the harmonal system, then it would add height, at the cost of health, so that is undesirable.

It is a False Notion in the western world that a short person is either not beautiful or smart. That notion should be treated more than the height.

Peace
swetha_lioness
Posted 2006-01-14 12:51 PM (#41027 - in reply to #40720)

hey tourist,
thank u so much for the reply.i'll do wht u said.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-16 9:56 AM (#41038 - in reply to #40723)

kulkarnn - 2006-01-11 10:33 AM
It is a False Notion in the western world that a short person is either not beautiful or smart. That notion should be treated more than the height.

Not quite sure where you're getting this one. I think most woman want a man who's taller than they are, and it's so common and cross cultural that I think it might be somewhat genetic. I also think that most men don't want a woman's who's much shorter than they are. (Makes things a bit awkward) That having been said, it's pretty common knowledge that Tom Cruise is shorter than you average man, yet he's also displayed as a sex symbol.

I've never heard anything about short people being dumb. There does seem to be that sort of prejudice against people who are over weight, but not so much for short people.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-16 10:14 AM (#41046 - in reply to #41038)

Expert Yogi

My experience is that men like short women. And I have never had a problem beng taken seriously but then I have had good role models of tiny but powerful women. Geeta Iyengar is one of the more recent ones - she is a little shorter than I am but VERY authoritative
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-16 10:38 AM (#41050 - in reply to #41046)

tourist - 2006-01-16 10:14 AM

My experience is that men like short women.

I actually like taller woman, but then at 6' 2" I need to! I also like Glenda, so maybe it's what's on the inside that counts.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-16 10:55 AM (#41053 - in reply to #41050)

Expert Yogi

I think the trend may be changing. I had a tall friend in high school and she used to moan that the guys all went out with the short girls but my tall DD has never had that experience. At least I have never heard her complain about it. And she seems to find plenty o' tall good lookers (when she is looking) who are interested in taller gals. My perception is that the kids nowadays have a lot fewer preconceptions or conditions than we used to back in the day. I guess we did a good job of raising them to be open minded
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-16 11:07 AM (#41054 - in reply to #41053)

tourist - 2006-01-16 10:55 AM
My perception is that the kids nowadays have a lot fewer preconceptions or conditions than we used to back in the day. I guess we did a good job of raising them to be open minded

Yes, the best indication of this is that most people in my generation seem to be have no problems with interracial dating.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-01-22 9:54 PM (#41681 - in reply to #41054)

Expert Yogi

Interracial dating is so "guess who's coming to dinner"-1960s. Let's talk same gender
instead: I have noticed that the....[trying not to be rude here]...more conservative
elements... are pretty upset about same-sex marriage. Exactly what is wrong with two
people who love each other setting up a household?
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-22 10:04 PM (#41683 - in reply to #41681)

I have no clue why same sex marriage bugs people. When I hear the phrase, "It's a threat to the institution of marriage," my first question is, "What's the threat?"

For what it's worth, I know a lot of Republicans who don't care and never supported the idea of a marriage amendment.
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-22 10:14 PM (#41687 - in reply to #6904)

I know, I never quite got that either. Two people who love each other wanting to make it legal and be recognized by the world as being together - that is scary. We all know what sorts of sordid things MARRIED people do! They largely stay in their homes and hang out together! EEK!

What I find a lot more threatening to the institution of marriage are the of folks who really don't love each other but have some other reason for tying the knot (money, unexpected pregnancy, want to move out of Daddy's house, because all my friends are getting married, etc). Those are the people who generally wind up divorced 2 yrs later and I feel THAT weakens marriage in general.

Even that, though, doesn't bother me that much. On the scale of things that bother me, who marries who does not even register a blip! I wonder what is up with these people who care so passionately about the topic. Maybe their own marriages didn't turn out to be what they wanted, so they have to make a big fat ruckus about other people's personal lives.

How in the heck did we wander so far from height increase?

Edited by jeansyoga 2006-01-22 10:16 PM
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-22 10:23 PM (#41690 - in reply to #41687)

Thread hijacking happens. Sometimes I do it, and it's my own thread!

On the political forum I used to frequent, we had quite a few Christian Fundamentalists. I got to know them over a long period of time and found they were really cool people, but man...they could not wrap their heads around things like homosexuality and sex outside of marriage.

The conversations were always interesting.

*leaves to check the spelling of Fundamentalist*
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-01-22 10:38 PM (#41695 - in reply to #41690)

Expert Yogi

In the long run, love is a whole lot more important than sex...some folks just can't
get past the S-word....
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-22 10:43 PM (#41697 - in reply to #6904)

The impression I get is that there's a struggle going on to legitamize homosexuality. Same sex marriage further legitamizes this life-style. Not being a homosexual, I really can't comment on what it's like to be one, and if it's a good or bad thing. I will say that most of the homosexuals I know are pretty normal. ie just as screwed up as the rest of us.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-01-25 9:34 PM (#41906 - in reply to #41697)

Expert Yogi

Hi GJ --

I had to think a while before answering your post...I don't mean to jump down your throat...
... there are two things you said that I want to comment on. First, saying homosexuality
is a "life-style" -- it's a subject of debate, of course, but a lot of people who are homosexual
believe that it's not just a "lifestyle choice". They would tell you that they are simply that way,
born that way or whatever, and that they could no more decide to be straight than you
or I could "decide" to be of the opposite gender. Second thing, saying that there's
a "struggle to legitimize" homosexuality. Yes, there is a struggle, but many people regard
it as a struggle to end discrimination. There's long historical precedent for discriminating
against homosexuals, but that doesn't make it right...not any more than a historical
precedent for slavery or anti-semistism makes those discriminations right.

I don't mean to imply that you (GJ) carry any of these negative beliefs -- I've read too many
of your posts to have that impression of you -- but, after thinking about this for a couple of
days, I did want to comment on the two phrases you used, as above.

... bg

GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-25 10:53 PM (#41926 - in reply to #6904)

There is no real good answer for this one is there? I really don't understand homosexuality I don't think anybody else does either, so we're all forced to muddle along. If any of my language is offensive, I appologize. I was struggling (and still am) to find neutral terms to describe something that's anything but. Since I don't understand it, I also don't want to chose sides, either for or against.

That being said, I think the way that homosexuals are treated in this country is pretty ugly. As a fairly odd person myself, I had to see anybody picked on, brutalized, or stimatized in the manner.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-01-25 11:08 PM
cyberislanddude
Posted 2006-12-29 1:20 PM (#72427 - in reply to #6904)

I'm 5.6" tall and my short stature had always been an impediment for achieving poise and self-confidence. It was about two years ago that I met my wife and we almost instantly made connection. She is about half an inch shorter than me but I would always feel a little insecure whenever she wore sandals. This would make her look much taller than myself. Not that anything wrong with that but society collectively feeds us with some stereotypes and a guy shorter than a woman would always raise eyebrows. My wife (who back then was my girlfriend) was conscious of myself being a little uneasy. She started coaching me on improving my dress coordination and also suggested that I should try wearing those walktall shoes. Doing a little research myself I gathered some info on stretching exercises. Although it’s true that exercises will not make you grow taller but it definitely helped me improve my posture. We certainly have more height hidden behind our slouched back and shabby dressing than we ever realize. There are some very basic stretching exercises and vertical fashion techniques that together can make a noticeable improvement in your height. And lastly it’s all a matter of perception. It all boils down to how we perceive ourselves. A better height can add to our confidence, but again, it’s our mind that perhaps makes us insecure. Some short dudes possess endless energy that makes their presence much taller than their height. You can follow the link below to get more info on posture exercises and some basic visual height enhancement techniques:
http://www.walktallshoes.com/grow-taller.html

Good luck
Spirittap
Posted 2007-12-07 12:39 AM (#100493 - in reply to #41046)

tourist - 2006-01-16 10:14 AM

My experience is that men like short women.

Short women make me feel tall, lol. I'm 5'8" 1/2, hopefully yoga will stretch me up to 5'10".
Spirittap
Posted 2007-12-07 12:45 AM (#100494 - in reply to #41926)

GreenJello - 2006-01-25 10:53 PM

There is no real good answer for this one is there?

The soul is neither male or female. All the matters is love.
timeforlife03
Posted 2008-04-24 12:26 PM (#106599 - in reply to #6904)

no way! I had no clue about this...interesting. Maybe more extensive research needs to be done on this.
musie
Posted 2008-04-26 7:12 PM (#106695 - in reply to #6904)

I have a (male) friend who's 5'3. He exclusively dates women who are taller than him, because he feels that being a short guy who can get a tall girl makes him look good. Regardless, I've never found it particularly odd when the guy in the couple is shorter than the girl, but what I HAVE found unattractive is men who've I've dated (I'm 5'9) who have felt insecure about their height because of mine, and who have not liked me wearing heels because of this. I think tall girls are sexy, but I don't think that a couple's height difference makes any big impression on people, unless you have something comical, like someone who's 6'7 with someone at 4'11.
Hazardousromance
Posted 2011-03-29 1:02 PM (#207998 - in reply to #6904)
Subject: Re: Yoga and height increase

Around 70% of your height is based on genetics. The other 30% is based on nutrition and how much growth hormone your body produces. Unfortunately, you cannot stretch your body taller :/
StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-04-24 11:07 AM (#208206 - in reply to #6904)

I too believe it's all about better articulation and posture. Ultimately though, it's about doing yoga for a certain amount of time until you find that your posture is better, it's about maintaining yoga's discipline and constant awareness of our bodies as temples.
john
Posted 2011-05-03 1:05 PM (#208267 - in reply to #6904)

By using Yoga we can increase our height. Everybody want to be tall. so it is good to do yoga.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)