YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how often?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

bkro9
Posted 2004-06-08 11:15 AM (#7275)
Subject: how often?

How often do you practice astanga? I do mat pilates twice a week, how much more strengthening is healthy?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-08 2:46 PM (#7281 - in reply to #7275)
Subject: RE: how often?

There is NO end to strengthening. One has to know why one is strengthening and then get as much as of it as desired. If one spends all time in strengthening body, mind part is left undone. And, only body exercise does NOT develop mind part as misunderstood in some circles. Mind part is called Meditation. So, one's own wish is more important than other's one.

As a final tip: In Yoga, you come to know yourself when you got what you are looking for.

Best Luck.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Posted 2004-06-10 2:28 PM (#7352 - in reply to #7275)

Hi there, in Ashtanga it is usual to practice 6 times a week, and also taking off on Moon Days. When I first started out, I practiced a few times a week and worked my way up to 6. Since you do Pilates, you probably should do less. I think both will complement the other very well. Christine (YogaDancer) I'm sure will have some very helpful advice as well. I also think Neel's suggestion to include meditation is sound - I find that I do that during my physical practice. Hope this helps.
redtail
Posted 2004-06-11 8:48 AM (#7378 - in reply to #7275)

I practice about 6 times per week also. It is a personal thing to me. If there is something going on that requires more time of me in the mornings, then I MAY pass on the yoga for the day, but it is very rare. I also meditate (formal sitting practice) for about 45 minutes before my physical yoga practice, but I find that the physical practice has many of the components of the mental practice as well. They complement each other nicely for me. Yoga/Meditation is somewhat like an addiction now. I feel kind of "unfulfilled" if I don't do it every day. What a wonderful thing to be addicted to!!! I hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)