YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Physiology of Weight Loss?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Valerie
Posted 2004-06-11 5:06 PM (#7389)
Subject: Physiology of Weight Loss?

I have been faithfully weighing in daily, staying at same weight consistently, even throughout the day, and even after a Thursday hatha intermediate class. Today, though, I did Ashtanga. After class, I was 3 pounds lighter. Pretty significant after staying the same all week. Is there something more besides sweating responsible for this? Anything to do with the breathing? I did not feel like I was sweating that much more than yesterday in Hatha. Thanks for any insight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-06-11 5:35 PM (#7391 - in reply to #7389)
Subject: RE: Physiology of Weight Loss?

There are myraid factors in accounting for weight loss kiddo--body type, activity sked, food intake, time of the day, indeed even the position of the moon in relation to the earth--if that gravitational force can affect tides, it can certainly affect our weight. in your brief synopsis, it sounds that you've been working at it for a realtively short time and monitoring on the same scale. With your efforts, the weight loss was at such a rate as to not be drastic, i.e., the weight incrementally slid to the the point that the scale was tripped to measure it.

This is all complete conjecture--enjoy the success.
TaoOfYoga
Posted 2004-07-07 11:49 PM (#8175 - in reply to #7389)

I'll preface this by saying that I am biased towards Ashtanga yoga so you know the agenda I'm coming from. In my experience, consistently practicing the system taught by Pattabhi Jois and his students is about the most effective way to deal with having a human body.

Your question was "Is something more besides sweating responsible for this?" The answer is absolutely. A previous post in this thread enumerated some of the many factors. It's unlikely that you sweated out three pounds of water. In addition though, I offer for your consideration the idea that Ashtanga yoga very effectively stimulates and tunes the body, generating energy in a way no other exercise really does. It massages and squeezes the internal organs and glands, causing them to fill with blood and oxygen and to perform better and renew over time. It strengthens the muscles that attach to blood vessels, it causes every cell in the body to throb and hum with heat and energy. It churns the digestive organs causing you to process food more effectively and eliminate wastes more effectively. Most asana practices do this in some way, but none that I've encountered can claim the thoroughness and integratedness of the Ashtanga primary (and subsequent) series. Speaking from experience of doing this practice at a variety of weights, if you practice it consistently and continuously bring your attention to bear on your breathing, your body will automatically function at its highest level of effectiveness with regards to becoming strong and assuming the weight and shape most conducive to your happiness and self-expression.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-07-08 11:14 AM (#8182 - in reply to #8175)

Expert Yogi

Regarding weight loss and sweating...

A litre of water weighs 1 kg or 2.2 lbs. Three pounds of water
thus amounts to 1.4 litres (or about 1 1/4 quarts).

The maximum rate at which a person can sweat is about 2 litres/hour,
according to those who study such things, although you wouldn't be likely to
sweat *that* much unless you were doing hot yoga. But in
a 90 minute Ashtanga class, at a sweating rate of 1 L/h, you'd
dump 1.5 litres of sweat.

It's entirely possible, and likely, that you lost the three pounds
simply from sweating. After all, mass is conserved and the *only*
way your body's weight could have decreased is by sweating,
assuming you weren't in the bathroom between weighings.
TaoOfYoga
Posted 2004-07-08 2:05 PM (#8190 - in reply to #7389)

I bow to a man of obviously superior logic! We could debate it though if I were into such things (how about clothes absorbing some of the water and getting weighed too... did she do the weigh ins precisely before and after the class, or was this a daily thing?) Thanks for the info on water... I'm sure I'll find a good conversation piece in it!
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-07-08 2:53 PM (#8195 - in reply to #7389)

If one is loosing very fast just by sweating:

a) the body has impurities and the sweating is used for removing it, which it should not impurities should go out of urine.
b) the body already has too much water more than it should, this can be due to overdrinking, over water consumption to keep impurities in suspension, or overdrinking due to habit.
c) one may be doing too much exercise possibly.

Weight Loss should not be due to Sweating, if it is necessary it should first be FAT loss, then muscle loss, then NO other loss. Of course, any thing like Tumors etc are not discussed here.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-07-08 4:45 PM (#8202 - in reply to #8195)

Expert Yogi

Hi Neel,

Weight loss from sweating is likely to be temporary, since
the result will be thirst. And a thirsty person will simply
drink water, replacing the lost weight!

When I do Bikram yoga, in all that heat, I sweat a lot
(I mean enough to saturate a large bath towel), and I usually
wind up drinking two or three litres of water to make up for it.

kulkarnn
Posted 2004-07-08 6:43 PM (#8207 - in reply to #7389)

That is a very interesting and valid comment.
neel
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)