YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the right food to eat the day of yoga class?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

GillianR
Posted 2004-06-11 5:46 PM (#7392)
Subject: What is the right food to eat the day of yoga class?

Hey,
I am yoga beginner!!!! and I am currently taking a class twice a week, so for I am loving it. I know all classes are different and some more challenging to others but I wondered if there was a certain diet that should be followed the day of class that would help? Any advise/info would be appreciated!
Thanks!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-06-11 5:53 PM (#7393 - in reply to #7392)
Subject: RE: What is the right food to eat the day of yoga class?

What type of yoga are you taking Gillian? How you done other forms of physical training/exercise with any regularity to know how you feel doing them on an empty or full stomach?

For me and with Bikram or Power Yoga--I eat nothing for at least 2-4 hours before a scheduled class. Probably most folks would advise that hydration is critical to benefitting from practicing yoga. Swallowing lots of water right before practice doesn't count it either--gotta make it a routine to drink plenty of water daily.

You'll probably get a lot of advice that vegetarian diet is the way to go--logically I can concur but I'm an old guy and too set in my ways to drop that prime, aged, peppered steak from my diet
afroyogi
Posted 2004-06-12 9:56 AM (#7411 - in reply to #7392)

The yogi lives from water and ginger roots alone!

BULL****!!!

The yogi says "everything in moderation", so please feel free to eat whatever you like. Your diet will change with the time when you stay with yoga.

It's like Bruce said, avoid ANY food 2-4 hours before class and generally eat less red meat, drink less alcohol and start sipping water constantly. Hydration is the most important point. We all must learn to drink right, at least 3 liters of good ol' H2O every day. And never wait until you feel thirsty, thirst a serious sign of a beginning dehydration. Honest!
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-12 3:35 PM (#7413 - in reply to #7392)

At the time of yoga practice, whether it is exercise or meditation, the digestive track including mouth, stomoach, intestines and colon should be relatively empty. There should be no other rules about diet on the day of Yoga.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
LoraB
Posted 2004-06-14 9:56 AM (#7448 - in reply to #7392)

Take some time and find out what works for your body. For one of my classes I can eat a light to medium snack about an hour ahead of time and fell comfortable, but I have another class that I have to make sure there's at the very least 2 hours between a really light meal and the class. You'll find what works for you, but generally it seems to be advised to practice on fairly empty stomach while well hydrated (as you may have guessed from the previous posts).

If your question is geared more towards the vegetarianism or carnivorism issue, that's also a nice gray area. Many yogis/yoginis embrace a vegetarian lifestlye - but it's not absolutely necessary. I like meats, and found that when I tried to do without (making sure to get all my fat/protein/etc from other sources) I was constantly tired and crabby. Throw in a bit of meat and that was alleviated.

Basically, experiment. You're the only one that can know how you feel and can find that perfect combination. Welcome to yoga!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)