YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram Yoga - Muscle Fatigue
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

nazy
Posted 2004-06-14 5:12 AM (#7442)
Subject: Bikram Yoga - Muscle Fatigue

Hello Everybody!
I've just started doing Bikram Yoga (2 weeks/5dys/wk). I feel great after class and the level of stress i have to cope with has seemed to decrease. However, it seems that the longer i practice, the more challenging it is to complete the class. You'd think it would be easier! My muscles seem to be constantly fatigued and I'm exhausted by around 8 or 9pm. I guess my question is whether or not this is a normal reaction in the begining? I'm consuming the same amount of calories as before I started the class. If it matters, Im 24 years old, good health, 5'4" and 120lbs. I usually take the 9am classes and weight train in the evening. I do light weight lifting for toning purposes and have discontinued my cardio vascular exercise since I've begun yoga. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks ,
Nazy
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-06-14 6:45 AM (#7443 - in reply to #7442)
Subject: RE: Bikram Yoga - Muscle Fatigue

Lordy Nazy--I got tired just reading your post! 5 days/week and weights in the PM--I need a nap. Seriously, 90 minutes in that hot room will take it out of you--at least i9n comparison to what you were doing before Bikram. My Cat's Mom on thwis forum is a Bikram instructor. During trining, instructors are in class twice/day--I'll bet that's exhausting.
LoraB
Posted 2004-06-14 9:45 AM (#7447 - in reply to #7442)

Yeah, that's a pretty tough schedule. I don't practice Bikram, but doing yoga and weight training on the same day is exhausting to the body. They also work the body in completely different ways. Yoga builds strength and will help with the toning that you are looking for. Weight training can be a nice compliment to a practice if you desire, but maybe think about doing that on the days you don't practice yoga. Your muscles need to rest!! That's actually when the strength and toning takes place - not during the actual practice or weight training. Also, muscles that fatigued can lead to injury, and then you won't be able to practice or do weights! Be careful! What was your activity level prior to Bikram? It sounds like perhaps a weight training and cardio program...With all the exertion you may want to increase your caloric intake as well - those suggested numbers are based on not only on height and weight but physical activity as well.
nazy
Posted 2004-06-14 2:26 PM (#7457 - in reply to #7443)

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the tip. Its not that bad. I feel like its necessary to lift since i dont get the same pump from the yoga. Also, i feel a great rush after yoga class, but by midday i feel like i need another workout. Think I should lay off the wrights for a while and just give yoga a chance? You've given good advice in many other postings. Thanks for the reply.
nazy
Posted 2004-06-14 2:33 PM (#7458 - in reply to #7447)

Hey Veteren, or is it Lora?
Thanks for the reply. To answer your Q's I used to do 30 min cardio 6 days a week and a trainig split: M: chest, shoulders, and triceps. T:Back and biceps. W: Legs and Abs, and i would repeat this on th., Fri., and Sat. Aside from working out, I'm a full time student so most of the day is spent sitting in class. I work around 20 hours a week and I stand throughout my shifts, but not too active. Sunday is pretty much my free day. So, Ive dropped the cardio since yoga. I thought about what you said, and it would be a good idea to alternate weight training and yoga day, however, I was told, in order to get the benefits from Bikram yoga it should be done around 5 times a week. Have I been misinformed? Also, do you know of any good websites where I can check my caloric intake and other calculations that may be necessary? Thanks again for the reply!

Posted 2004-06-14 3:14 PM (#7463 - in reply to #7457)

Nah don't lay off the weights unless you want to--it's not going to hurt you. I was just addrressing your original concern about being tired earlier than normal. I try to catch noon Bikram class--that way I've split my day, am awake and had copious amounts of coffee then don't feel guilty when cocktail hour comes--a vital part of living in South Texas

nazy - 2004-06-14 1:26 PM

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the tip. Its not that bad. I feel like its necessary to lift since i dont get the same pump from the yoga. Also, i feel a great rush after yoga class, but by midday i feel like i need another workout. Think I should lay off the wrights for a while and just give yoga a chance? You've given good advice in many other postings. Thanks for the reply.
LoraB
Posted 2004-06-14 3:18 PM (#7464 - in reply to #7442)

I've heard/read the same info about doing Bikram 5 days a week for results - but that may be geared towards a person who is only practicing yoga. I'm not really too sure. Most of my information about caloric intake, etc, comes from magazines like Fitness, Shape, and Self, and a bit from my boyfriend, who has done some personal training. Check out those magazines online - there's nearly always something about diet and nutrition in each month.

I know what you mean, too, about that midday workout. I've been in school and temping, so I was getting quite a bit more exercise if only by default until this summer. It didn't take long until I dropped my weight training and cardio and focused solely on yoga. But now that I took the summer off and am sitting at a desk in front of a computer all day I crave a more physical ilfe out of the office and have picked up my weight/cardio regime again. I've found that it really helps with my practice...I usually do yoga on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday, and on Tuesdays I do upper back/shoulder/bicep/tricep and 30-40 minutes cardio, and then Thursday or Friday I do lower back/legs/abs and 20-30 cardio.

Another idea might be to integrate a less stressful yoga practice into your routine -without the heat and humidity.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-06-14 4:28 PM (#7467 - in reply to #7442)

I have heard that benefits can be derived from practicing Bikram 3 times per week. That is what I have been doing since last October and I have definitely noticed improvement in flexibility, strength, balance, breathing, muscle tone and I have lost a little weight. And, I feel great!

Prior to Bikram, my routine was to try to get to the gym twice a week for one hour of cardio and a few weights (I often didn't make it twice a week) and I also did some hiking on the weekends.

I admit I don't do as much hiking as I did before but I have been EXTREMELY consistent in practicing Bikram 3 times a week. I'm also 52 and work full time.
nazy
Posted 2004-06-15 3:56 AM (#7481 - in reply to #7464)

Thanks Lora. My bf trains too. We get into these disagreements about weight training and yoga. I've told him about the strengthening and elongating of muscles through yoga vs. bulking them up and condensing them with weight training and he just dismisses it! He feels that people should be doing both. Ah well....but, this might make you laugh. He is a total body builder, so Ive talked him into taking a Bikram class with me. He doesnt believe me when i tell him that its a challenging class and that I was extremely sore after my first few classes. I'm sure his opinion will change! Thanks for all the advice. I'm very fortunate bc my body changes very quickly and results show quickly. Sometimes it takes two weeks of consistent exercise to see results vs the average month or more for some people. So, I've decided to drop the weights for a few weeks and see what Bikram can do for me. Take care,
Nazy
nazy
Posted 2004-06-15 4:02 AM (#7482 - in reply to #7467)

Hi kathy,
There are so many opinions out there about how often Bikram should be done....2,3, 5 days. you never know. So, I called Bikram College today in Los Angelas and asked their opinion. They replied that it should be done six days a week and Sundays should be taken off. To quote the woman on the phone from the college "Bikram says people who do yoga on Sundays are crazy!"
Ha ha ha! So I guess six days a week. You sound very healthy and vibrant! Dont slow down. My mom is the same age and I wish I could get her to take some Bikram classes.
Nazy
LoraB
Posted 2004-06-15 9:24 AM (#7496 - in reply to #7442)

Nazy,

How on earth did you get the boy to agree to a yoga class?
Mine can't quite believe it when I wake up sore the day after a class - but do I ever hear it if he works out a little harder at the gym and feels it the next day!
Stubborn boys!

Posted 2004-06-15 11:26 AM (#7502 - in reply to #7496)

Men--2what are you gonna do? When the local TV crew caught me at the end of a Bikram class--I looked nasty! Had a beard then and was panting hard. Told them it was the hardest physical think I could remember doing--harder than Air Force Survival school--all kinds of guys started coming then--gotta appeal to the machismo I think. and speaking of the differing attitudes of the sexes, here's what I received from my wife this morning:

WOMAN'S PERFECT BREAKFAST
She's sitting at the table with her gourmet coffee.
Her son is on the cover of the Wheaties box.
Her daughter is on the cover of Business Week.
Her boyfriend is on the cover of Playgirl.
And her husband is on the back of the milk carton.

WOMEN'S REVENGE
"Cash, check or charge?" I asked, after folding items the woman wished to purchase. As she fumbled for her wallet I noticed a remote control for a television set in her purse. "So, do you always carry your TV remote?" I asked. "No," she replied, "but my husband refused to come shopping with me, so I figured this was the most legal evil thing I could do to him."

UNDERSTANDING WOMEN (A MAN'S PERSPECTIVE)
I know I'm not going to understand women. I'll never understand how you can take boiling hot wax, pour it onto your upper thigh, rip the hair out by the root, and still be afraid of a spider.

MARRIAGE SEMINAR
While attending a Marriage Seminar dealing with communication, Tom and his wife Grace listened to the instructor, "It is essential that husbands and wives know the things that are important to each other." He addressed the man, "Can you describe your wife's favorite flower?" Tom leaned over, touched his wife's arm gently and whispered, "It's Pillsbury, isn't it? The rest of the story gets rather ugly so I'll stop right here.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)