YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

re: advanced practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogabrian
Posted 2004-06-16 4:27 PM (#7553)
Subject: re: advanced practice

I am just curious. How many of you all practice the more advanced series of the 84 Asanas. Otherwise know as the "bikram advanced". Do you know of anyone other then Tony Sanchez that has created new systems from it. If you do practice it, whom did you learn it from? Do you practice it on a regular basis and what do you think of it compared to other yogic system (such as Ashtanga, Iyengar, etc...)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-06-19 1:28 PM (#7635 - in reply to #7553)

I have practiced some of the advanced series before but do not regularly. I think it is a nice change from the standard beginning practice. Right now, however, my focus is on alignment through Anusara. Until I feel I've made substantial progress, I'm holding off on doing any more advanced Bikram stuff.

Only certified Bikram instructors can practice the advanced series, unless you are invited. Teachers who have been invited by Bikram to participate in advanced classes generally pass on their knowledge to other teachers when they think they are ready. There is supposed to be something in the works for getting certified, through Bikram, to teach advanced classes. I haven't heard anything recently.

I think it's a good idea to change it up a little, try things new. Even things you think you can't do -- you surprise yourself a little.

Peace,
G
yogabrian
Posted 2004-06-19 9:22 PM (#7648 - in reply to #7553)

I had heard that Bikram only allowed certifed teachers in his advanced class. However he is not the only one who knows and teaches it. My teacher taught the series to me, I also had heard that Jimmy Barkan teaches it occasionally. I have heard rumors that someone from Budda Bose lineage (student of Bishnu Gosh) is teaching from it. although those rumors are uncomfirmed. There has to be other students of Gosh that have made it over here from india and teaching from the 84 Asanas

what do you think of it compared to your Anusara practice?
My Ca
Posted 2004-06-20 2:14 PM (#7660 - in reply to #7648)

My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-06-20 2:25 PM (#7661 - in reply to #7553)

Ooops. Yes, Jimmy Barkan and Tony Sanchez do the advanced series. I think only someone outside of Bikram's circle would teach those advanced asanas to someone who is not Bikram certified. Jimmy & Tony do not have Bikram's blessing regarding this (I believe). I don't know of anyone else of the Gosh lineage.

I do not have enough experience with the advanced series to give you a solid comparison. I like the Anusara because its philosophy helps make sure I stay physically and spiritually connected to the asana practice. You set your intention at the very beginning of practice, before you even start to do the asanas. Alignment is stressed throughout the entire practice. When I'm through, I know the "high" I experience is not just exercise or heat-induced endorphins.

Practicing Anusara has helped my Bikram practice as well. I apply many of the same principles I learned in Anusara and I find I have less back pain as well as an added spiritual component that was lacking before. Anusara has also helped my home practice. Regardless of which asanas I do, I'm more focused when I start out the Anusara way.

Peace,
G
yogabrian
Posted 2004-06-20 5:31 PM (#7667 - in reply to #7553)

Does it really matter if Tony and Jimmy have Bikram's blessing? The 84 Asanas are thousands of years old. They belong to no one person. I have heard Bikram himself quoted in saying once a student knows and can do the 84 Asanas they no longer need their teacher. So if the both can know and can do it, do they really need Bikram's blessings?

I can certainly agree with the what you say about the yoga high and not needing the heated room to achieve it. In my own training, The room was heated but not over 85 degrees. When I practiced Bikram it just did not feel right. Later after getting some further education in the body, I found out what the effects of exercise in a dehydrated state does to the body. All the effects the instructors promote in actuality is false and the opposite is true. Not that I am trying to be disrespectfully the Bikram community but science is science.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-06-20 9:13 PM (#7670 - in reply to #7661)

Bikram's rule that "only certified instructors can do the advanced series" is
utter nonsense. I practice that series every week, and I'm not a Bikram
instructor, and I don't have Bikram's permission. It's a great series, actually,
especially if you take the time to work the asanas fully (about 3 hrs with variations,
rather than the 1 3/4 hr rush at BYCI); you don't need more than about 90 degree
heat, either, since it's a strenuous practice. Credit goes to Bishnu Ghosh,
not Bikram.

I've practiced with both Jimmy Barkan and Tony Sanchez, and they are certainly
qualified to teach those asanas, irrespective of Bikram's blessing. (They were
both essential to Bikram at one time, but they seem to have gotten tired of
being disrespected by him...)

It's worth noting that a number of Bikram teachers are covertly teaching
the advanced series in their own studios. Whether they actually have
Bikram's permission to do this, I can't say, but those classes are almost
never publicly advertised (the permission thing, I suppose). I know at least
one teacher who displays a certificate from BYCI saying that she is certified
to teach the advanced series.

To pick up on your other theme, I've been doing Iyengar yoga in parallel to
my Bikram (or Ghosh) practice. It really helps in terms of thinking about
alignments and the interconnections of postures. Want to improve your
standing bow pulling pose? Then try working on Hanumanasana (aka, floor
splits). But I disgress....
yogabrian
Posted 2004-06-21 11:55 AM (#7693 - in reply to #7553)

Bayguy,

I totally agree with you. When did you train with Tony? How long did you train with him? What do you think is the main difference his teaching style compare to Jimmy's? Why did you choose to start an Iyengar practice? Are there things that you find missing from the 84 asanas that you felt you wanted to learn?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)