YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

headache
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

sarahtup81
Posted 2004-06-23 1:15 PM (#7740)
Subject: headache

Hi, I am new to bikram yoga, I just did my second class last night, my first was on saturday. I loved it and definatley want to keep at it because of how great it made me feel, but unfortunatley both days a few hours afterward I got a splitting headach starting at the back of my head and continuing up to my forehead. I drank plenty of water all day before -during and after and had gatorade after my class last night to see if that would keep the headache away but no luck. What am I doing wrong, are there certain postures I should shy away from? any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sarah
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-06-23 1:53 PM (#7741 - in reply to #7740)
Subject: RE: headache

Welcome to Bikram Sarah--been there with the headaches--that heat and activity bring it on and hydration needs to be routine. Just drinking before and after doesn't equate to hydration--more of a bladder efficiency test then.

Seriously, try to drink your 64 oz of water daily and regularly and you'll get used to the yoga. By the way, I frequently pop a couple of aspirin a couple of hours prior to practice.
LoraB
Posted 2004-06-23 2:17 PM (#7743 - in reply to #7740)

Sarah,

I'm not a Bikramite, but after practicing yoga for a couple months I started to get headaches - usually starting about an hour after practice and then reoccuring the next day or two. This lasted a couple of weeks and then cleared up. Nothing else had changed as far as diet, etc. Who knows? The topic of headaches starting with regular yoga practices has come up more than a couple times on these boards - almost seems like a rite of passage for new yogis.
Sounds like your fairly prepared as far as hydration - might just take the body a little time to get used to the practice. Good luck!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-06-23 3:58 PM (#7745 - in reply to #7740)

Hi Sarah,

The only asana I can think of that may give you problems is Rabbit. Be sure you are not putting too much pressure on your head - use your arm strength.

Like Bruce said, hydration needs to be an on-going part of your life if you plan to practice Bikram on a regular basis. For example, during the day of an evening class, I drink 80 ounces of water, plus 32 ounces during class, and maybe another 8 - 16 ounces after class, plus whatever else I drink during the day - usually 16 ounces of milk, 16 ounces of iced tea. The water I drink during class has an electrolyte replacement in it.

I never had the headache problem with Bikram, but as Lora said, it does seem to be a fairly common experience for new yogis.

Best of luck with your practice and keep us up to date on your progress.

Peace and Namaste
yogabrian
Posted 2004-06-23 4:20 PM (#7747 - in reply to #7740)

Sarahtup81,

You have experienced what is commonly known as heat exhaustion and perhaps a little heat stroke. It comes from doing exercise for extended periods in heat that is over your body temperature. Next time you go to class make sure that you drink water, before, during and after class. Stand in the coolest area of the room and go VERY slowly when you practice. You body just gave you a very clear single that it was being hurt by what you where doing. Approach your practice with care, you don't want to do serious damage to you internal systems.

Here is what NASM (Nation Academy of Sports Medine) has to say about dehydration. NASM is one of the industry leaders for fitness education in the health and fitness industry.

Importance of Water
Constitutes approximately 60% of the adult human body by weight.
One can only survive a few days without adequate fluid balance.

Benefits:
• Endocrine-gland function improves
• Fluid retention is alleviated
• Liver function improves
Increases the % of fat used for energy purposes
• Natural thirst regulation returns
• Appetite decreases significantly
• Nutrients are distributed throughout the body efficiently
• Body temperature regulation improves
• Blood volume is maintained

Water and Performance
Body cannot adapt to dehydration.
A fluid loss of 2% (of body weight) will adversely affect circulatory function and decrease performance.

Effects of Dehydration
• Decreased blood volume
• Decreased performance
• Decreased blood pressure
• Decreased sweat rate
• Water retention
• Increased heart rate
• Sodium retention
• Decreased cardiac output
• Decreased blood flow to the skin
• Increased perceived exertion
• Increased use of muscle glycogen

Hyponatremia
Over-hydration can result in poor levels of sodium.
• Common in distance runners, cyclists, triathletes.
Recommendations
• Don’t drink more than you sweat.
• Favor common sports drinks that contain sodium.

Guidelines for Fluid Replacement in the Athlete
Consume 16 oz. of fluid two hours prior to exercise.
• An additional 8-16 oz. may be required if exercising in warm weather.
Drink 20-40 oz. of fluid for every hour of exercise.
Fluids should be cool due to rapid gastric emptying.
If exercise exceeds 60 minutes, use a sports drink (containing up to 8% carbohydrate) can replace fluid and muscle-glycogen stores.
If exercise is less than 60 minutes, water is the best choice for fluid replacement.
The goal is to replace sweat and urine losses.
Ingest 20 oz. of fluid for every pound of body weight lost after an exercise bout, especially if rapid re-hydration is necessary.

Edited by yogabrian 2004-06-23 4:23 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-06-23 10:32 PM (#7758 - in reply to #7740)

Hi Sarah,

As everyone has said, drink lots of water, especially during
practice. I put down 2 litres during most Bikram classes.
You might follow up with some kind of electrolyte replacement
like "Emergen-C", or just a pint of orange juice. I'm not so
sure about Gatorade, which is sweetened with glucose or something.

You can get headaches if you do something to strain the muscles
at the back of your head/neck. Shoulderstand will do this if you aren't
loose or supported, although that's not a part of Bikram yoga.
As Kathy Ann said, Rabbit might cause this if you are stressing
the neck, or it could be that you are pulling the chin to the shoulder
too hard in Trikonasana. You should also be aware of your neck during
locust pose.
sarahtup81
Posted 2004-06-23 11:03 PM (#7760 - in reply to #7740)
Subject: wow

wow
thanks for all the helpful replies, I will be sure to keep you posted on my progress! My third class will be friday morning. I will be sure to drink all day and watchmy neck in rabbit pose. It's nice to know most of you have been there.

Thanks again,
Sarah

Posted 2004-06-23 11:06 PM (#7761 - in reply to #7760)
Subject: RE: wow

I tool two newbies to Bikram today and told them afterwards to take aspirin and keep drinking--they felt the headaches coming on. Occasionally I still get them as often after practice, I forget to eat as I'm not hungry from the activity, the heat (at practice and in San Antonio) and drinking so much--get the ole hungar headache.
Deelited
Posted 2004-06-29 12:06 PM (#7907 - in reply to #7740)

I second the Emergen-c - it worked wonders for me when I was in serious Bikram-mode. I used to have migraines and I was also told that in the Wind Removing series - the 3rd part when you bring both knees to your chest - if you keep your forehead to your knees, instead of on the floor - so you're in an egg-like formation - that helps to relieve headache tension.

Namaste
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)