YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OK YOU GUYS...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

marisajoy
Posted 2004-06-29 5:35 PM (#7921)
Subject: OK YOU GUYS...

hi everyone!
Saturday I will be taking my first bikram yoga class. I'm excited but nervous. I'm 19, in fairly good shape but am looking to really jumpstart my fitness routine and try new things, like yoga.
What can I expect from the class? What kind of stuff do you do for the 90 minutes? I'd love to hear all sorts of details!! Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-06-29 6:56 PM (#7924 - in reply to #7921)
Subject: RE: OK YOU GUYS...

Oh boy--I love these type of postings!

Marissa, you can expect to be subjected to the most rigorous workout you can imagine with a nazi instructor. It's hot and humid and you'll be told to do things with your body that you can't imagine and postures in quick succesion. OK, that was my first experience anyway and I left halfway through with the teacher chasing me down demanding I return. Well, things got better from that point. I got into the practice, got to love the teacher and yesterday, after 11 months of Bikramizing, she invited me to practice alone with her in a silent session. I was way honored and couldn't have imagined that a year ago. I took two new folks last week and they both wanted me dead at the end of practice BUT, now they want to go back. I think the attraction is that your challenging yourself every second your in that room. And kiddo, the best advice I can give is listen, observe, and maintain situational awareness of your body and self--go to where you can and rest when you need to. Hydrate well before and after and when it's all done, give your teacher a resounding "Namaste" and drink more water with 2 aspirin.

Well to the dark side little one.
marisajoy
Posted 2004-06-29 7:12 PM (#7926 - in reply to #7921)

Thank you, I appreciate your response!

My old roommate just moved back to northern California from Santa Barbara, and she looked amazing. Not only fit, but radiant, happy. glowing and beautiful. I asked what her secret was and she told me "all I've done is start taking bikram yoga!"
So she is going with me on Saturday.
What should I wear? Can you bring water into the class? Do they mind if you have to take a break in the middle of the class? Are there any rules, etc? I've never ever taken a yoga class in my life!
I'm really looking forward to my class, although I know it will be challenging. But no one ever saw results without a challenge, right??
Anyway, thanks again! My email is Marisajoyful@hotmail.com if you'd like to chat more, or send any cool bikram type stuff. I would love that!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-06-29 8:08 PM (#7936 - in reply to #7921)

Hi Marisa,

I highly suggest that you visit the "Official" Bikram website at www.bikramyoga.com There you will find answers to many of your questions. If you can possibly get your hands on Bikram's book before Saturday, do so and read as much as you can. If not, then get the book as soon as possible.

Hydration and breathing are EXTREMELY important. In the 24 hour period PRIOR to your first class, drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water. Yes, you will want to take water into the class with you, probably a liter or quart. Be sure to breathe deeply in and out through your nose throughout the class. DO NOT hold your breath. In your first class (and even subsequent ones) you may feel a bit nauseous or dizzy. Just take it easy. No one will think less of you if you need to sit out a pose or lay down.

As far as clothing, remember that you will be in all kinds of "weird" positions so if you are at all modest, you won't want to wear short shorts or really low neckline. But, you want to be comfortable and it will be very hot so shorts and a tank top or sports bra or capri type yoga pants will be fine. Just don't wear baggy clothing - you want form-fitting type clothes that won't get tangled up.

Bikram is intense, very challenging, frustrating at times but very rewarding if you stick with it and start to notice the progress you are making. The heat takes some getting used to. You will sweat profusely and be totally drenched by the end of class.

Best wishes in your first endeavor. Keep us posted on your progress.

Namaste
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-06-29 11:00 PM (#7947 - in reply to #7936)

Kathy Ann,

I appreciate your advice on clothing --- it can be embarassing when
somebody shows up in the wrong togs. I mean, I really couldn't
care less --- I'm no prude and I'm 20 years married --- but it's distracting
(men's brains are hard-wired to look at women), and I'd prefer to have
my eye on the yoga, not the yoginis...

And MarissaJoyful, you're pretty brave to post your email address on a
bulletin board and invite everyone to write to you. You're liable to get
quite a bit of garbage that way....
nubianyogi
Posted 2004-06-30 9:33 AM (#7986 - in reply to #7921)

Good Luck Marisa!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)