YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

asana- how many and how long?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Mr. Dream
Posted 2004-07-01 5:10 AM (#8032)
Subject: asana- how many and how long?

I`m just curious:

How many asanas do you practice regularly?
How long do you hold them approximately?

Greetings

Mr. Dream

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-07-02 10:59 AM (#8075 - in reply to #8032)
Subject: RE: asana- how many and how long?

I practice around 10 asanas a day, holding them as long as I feel comfortable. This also applies to all students I teach everyday, around 2 or 3 times a day.

I have personally seen BKS Iyengar in Headstand, still and almost not moving, for 45 min, when I went for lunch invitation by his most respectable wife the Late Ramani.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-07-06 2:26 PM (#8145 - in reply to #8032)

Mr. Dream,
As with anything, this question is influenced by many variables and they're all about you.
IOW, it varies per person, physical condition, and practice level.

For example, assuming someone is absolutely healthy and beginning yoga.
Another assumption is that you're a westerner and probably tight in the hips and hamstrings. This is normal and average.

So for a beginner such as this, it's recommended to work 10 to 12 asana, using gentle movement in and out of an asana. This is preferred over holding an asana a lot time, because in the beginning, that can actually cause muscles to clench and possibly spasm. So, take Trikonasana (triangle). One would move into it carefully, hold for 3-5 even (not long, just even) breaths and move out. Do the other side. The probably repeat.

A more advanced practitioner might do the same asana and hold for 2 minutes on each side, them move on. I'm figure that time based upon a single breath (which is the inhalation and exhalation) being about 20 seconds. So this would be considered a short hold.

As far as what asana? For a beginning or quick practice, one would do something to warm up, moving slowly, with the breath. For example, several sun salutations. Then consider something standing forward bending, standing, balancing, standing twist, probably prone backbends such as cobra, shalabhasana, etc., seated forward bends, seated twists, a minor inversion such as supported shoulder stand, and rest. This could be fleshed out with several of each category or done in 'vinyasa' style with the breath for a more advanced practitioner.

So you see, there is no rule. What's important is that someone practices.

Christine
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-07-09 10:34 PM (#8265 - in reply to #8032)

Expert Yogi

Just for another point of comparison.....

My Saturday practice is 100 to 110 asanas done over
three to three-and-a-half hours. Leaving out headstand
and shoulderstand, I hold the poses for between 5 and 20
breaths, depending on how strenuous they are. I'll hold
headstand and shoulderstand for several minutes during
this particular practice, then do variations.

In other practices, I might take headstand to 15 minutes...
...but Mr. Iyengar's 45 minutes (as reported by Neel) is far beyond
my capacity!

kulkarnn
Posted 2004-07-10 9:42 AM (#8271 - in reply to #8032)

Dear Bay Guy, I like your message. I mentioned Iyengar just a mention, I am not recommending it. Most likely, I am NOT recommending it. If you come to Virginia, drop in at my place.

neel
skyguy
Posted 2004-07-14 8:35 AM (#8361 - in reply to #8145)

YogaDancer -  So for a beginner such as this, it's recommended to work 10 to 12 asana, using gentle movement in and out of an asana. This is preferred over holding an asana a lot time, because in the beginning, that can actually cause muscles to clench and possibly spasm. So, take Trikonasana (triangle). One would move into it carefully, hold for 3-5 even (not long, just even) breaths and move out. Do the other side. The probably repeat.

Thanks for this input on the boards. I travel often for business and I might make a class only every other week or so. I am glad that I am somewhat on the right track in my home practice (I have been doing as you stated above)...  

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-07-14 8:50 AM (#8362 - in reply to #8361)

We talk a lot about listening to your body. Teachers ernestly and intently tell people to do so and we nod enthusiastically. Most of the time we have no idea what the heck our body is telling us and we simply look for the most obvious, which is pain.

You have an opportunity at home to do a bit more. Something we're trained in western sports to ignore is fatigue. As you move in and out of your asana, observe how you actually do feel in the pose. Is it comfortable? Is it painful. Are you shaking? Do you feel like it's a wonderful stretch? Do you find yourself thinking "if I could only get past this hitch in my git'along..."

The object of asana is to find sterum and sukhum (phonetic translation going on here) which means strength and ease. If you find yourself in an asana feeling so "in" that your mind begins to wander? You're probably getting near that balance. This would mean you can take your holdings a little longer. Or you could begin to think about moving to the next step or variation of that particular asana. Remember, each asana is different, not only in how it feels, but in how your body addresses it and what day it is.

Some indicators of distress and unease are ragged breathing, clenching your lips, jaw or neck, pressing your tongue against the roof of the mouth, or dread for a particular asana. Note these and back of or rest a moment. Even out your breathing and consciously ask your parts to relax. Then return to gentle in/out sequencing.

You have a lot of yoga in Pittsburgh! Great area.

Christine
Mr. Dream
Posted 2004-07-21 9:26 AM (#8520 - in reply to #8032)

Thanks for your answers!

I`m doing 8 asanas at the moment and some leg stretching. That takes me 45 minutes.

Namaste

Mr. Dream
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)