YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

---My Anusara Experience
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-07-09 5:18 PM (#8257 - in reply to #8089)
Subject: RE: ---My Anusara Experience

Melissa - What a crappy experience to have at a yoga event! I guess that yoga has become so "trendy" that it attracts all kinds. Guess they missed the parts about "Namaste" and "Kula", eh?

And, I too shop at Target for yoga clothes and lots of things. I even bought a quite cute swimsuit there recently.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-07-09 9:27 PM (#8262 - in reply to #8257)

Kathy Ann - Tar Jhay is my fashion place! DD knew the "sign" before she could really talk - just pointed and said "TAR MUT!!". I like their Danskin line of yoga clothes. Otherwise, I shop at Marshalls - even got my first mat there!
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-07-09 9:29 PM (#8263 - in reply to #8257)

Sorry, premature clicking.... I forgot to mention that, during relaxation at the workshop, I think I fell SOUND asleep and snored pretty loudly. I'm not sure, but several days later it ocurred to me that I might have done that ... having had 3 hours sleep the previous night (I refer you to my post "finding time" to deduce the reasons) it's entirely possible that I could have done that.

Personally, I think it's kind of funny.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-07-14 8:30 AM (#8360 - in reply to #8089)

I was rereading this thread, kind of laughing to myself. I realized when I mentioned Todd Norian and his metaphors -- that are commonly found in the Anusara system -- that I left out something really important:

Todd Norian is a fabulous teacher who seems to share everything he has. I'd take from him again in a heartbeat, particularly since my only experience with him was at an Omega Conference workshop, so probably 2 hours?

Although I laugh and moan and groan about the flowery language that sometimes makes no sense to me, it does "click" with some, who are extremely visual people. I'm just too pragmatic perhaps, but beauty is part of the Anusara system. Maybe what I preceive to be emotion involved in metaphorical teaching embarrasses me. I'll have to thin about that a bit. Anyway, I don't let the languaging or my reaction to it get in my way of soaking up what a teacher has to offer. And the way Anusara helps me care for my body and move with more fluidity? I can cross my eyes and try to imagine a magnolia blossom blooming at the end of my tailbone. For a minute or so, at least!

So if you have the opportunity to take with him, or are visiting up that way? Do it. Imagine me there pounding you on the head to do so. You'll learn a lot and it's worth every metaphor!

Christine
elson
Posted 2004-07-17 4:13 AM (#8422 - in reply to #8089)

What I especially value about anusara is the balance of forces. My practice has become more of a workout now that I am balancing spirals and muscular vs organic.

I also feel more stable. For example, in balance poses, I used to have basically one set of muscles tensed against my current leaning, & then when my balance shifted the other way, the first set of muscles relaxed, & the opposing set snapped into contraction to oppose the new imbalance. Now, I have a balance of both sets, and working on a balance is a much more controlled thing.

My experience of Anusara is similar to an earlier poster - my whole practice is becomming Friendlier :-). So both in classes and in my personal practice, I am addressing each of the asanas and transitions in a more Anusaric manner.

As to the nomenclature, I'm an engineer, and I am delighted by the elegant simplicity of the universal principles. This is indeed Western Yoga, because he is taking the analytical western thought process & applying it to the centuries of data present in the yoga tradition. The form is also a way to bridge between yoga and other western disciplines that use technical principles, such as physical therapy and medicine. It is a pretty exciting thing for a techie :-).

I don't have much use for the spiritual aspect, because I am only interested in yoga from a physical/mental point of view, but it isn't any more intrusive than in Iyengar or Ashtanga. I DO appreciate the humor & positive energy that seems to permiate the system, because those things areimportant to me :-).

tourist
Posted 2004-08-09 9:06 PM (#9030 - in reply to #8360)

Expert Yogi

Ok Christine - as I read more and more on this board I am seeing a Christine I never knew! Exactly how much are you teaching my dear??? The one who said she would never, ever teach I love seeing you write about gagging and rolling your eyes - so YOU!

You folks are lucky the yogadancer has parked herself here - great sense of humour and so much knowledge it will knock you off your manduka mat
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)