YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

best for me and my bad knees
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

pmizera
Posted 2004-07-15 12:16 PM (#8387)
Subject: best for me and my bad knees

I have just been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my knees and I am 46 years old. I have recently started a water aerobics class and am really interested in attempting yogan. What do you suggest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tnb43612
Posted 2004-07-20 2:16 PM (#8477 - in reply to #8387)
Subject: RE: best for me and my bad knees

I dont know really what to start with. But I am 20 and have the same thing you do. And I have just started yoga about a week ago. And I can tell you that it hurts for a little bit on my one bad knee and by the middle of the video its fine. Im still working with it cause it doesnt stretch as well as my other one, but it doesnt hurt any more when I start and I seem to be able to walk longer without pain also. If thats any help thats great if not sorry.
nana
Posted 2004-08-06 3:33 PM (#8948 - in reply to #8387)

hi guys im into martial arts and broke my knee last year so it didn't heal in six months but i didnt see a doctor i knew they would say you tore your acl and i can surgically fix it So i investigated some herbal stuff and found some chineese potions one was so strong it started irritating my skin.any way bla bla bla.. but here is what helped me out !!!

2 weeks no cooked food !!! not a piece of meat no milk eggs only fresh fruit veggies nuts alot of fresh juiced juices and teas
this was suppossed to last for a month but things went so well i was like i need prime rib
this other thing sounds just as crazy but try it ok take a small pinch of natrual sea salt and add to your water and drink more water than you ever have before (that good for your kidneys too) keep up for 3 weeks at least
last thing is movement small circles with hands on knees both clockwise then counter then circle toward eachother then away alot of massage on sides and back good luck
Naturopath
Posted 2004-08-06 5:27 PM (#8953 - in reply to #8387)

pmizera - 2004-07-15 12:16 PM

I have just been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my knees and I am 46 years old. I have recently started a water aerobics class and am really interested in attempting yogan. What do you suggest.

Unfortunately, arthritis is one of the most common degenerative diseases around and there is no cure.

Diet tends to plays a key role in arthritis and elimination of meat is often recommended. You could also try a medicated oil, such as, Mahanarayan oil, which is used to massage stiff joints and relieve pain. Simple sesame oil will also work and can be used regularly.

The ayurvedic herb Ashwagandha is used in yoga for vata conditions that involve popping, cracking and painful joints, especially as one gets older and there is a loss of bone mass. It is a tonic, rejuvinative, nervine and relaxant. Talk to your physician, however, before beginning any alternative treatment, otherwise taking any medication.

Insofar as yoga asanas, my recommendation is to connect with a yoga therapist that is trained to work with a variety of disease and ailments. Slow vinyasa flow which is found in viniyoga works well in your type of condition, over that of static poses.

Revampo
Posted 2004-08-08 5:02 PM (#8997 - in reply to #8387)

A combination of viyansa yoga and pilates flexband seems to help rebiuld my once very painful kness-I just cant believe the changes after comtemplating purchasing expensive collagen capsules.
ballardla
Posted 2004-09-02 2:13 PM (#9606 - in reply to #8387)

You could also look into Feldenkrais, a system of movements that was specifically invented by someone who was trying to overcome a severe knee injury. See http://www.feldenkrais.com.
senthil
Posted 2004-09-07 1:13 AM (#9691 - in reply to #8387)

yoga will help to get relive of pain and it will increase the mobility.learn it from a qualified proffessional
kittikat
Posted 2004-09-17 10:01 AM (#10010 - in reply to #8387)

I too have dodgy knees.

If anything hurts in class, I stop. I'm hoping over long term yoga practice me knees will get better.

I recommend finding a really good physiotherapist too!
Orbilia
Posted 2004-09-20 9:04 AM (#10119 - in reply to #10010)

As an aside, if your doctor gives you anti-inflamatory medication and you find it gives you acid, ask if you can drink Aloe juice with them. My mother found it very helpful until my GP changed her meds to one which didn't upset her.

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)