YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga style that builds leg strenght?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Revampo
Posted 2004-07-23 3:38 PM (#8600)
Subject: Yoga style that builds leg strenght?

Every yoga style I've looked into seem to build the upper body i.e. arms,chest e.t.c. But what about the legs? For someone who has jogged 6-7 miles daily for the last 10 years it will be nice to continue to experience that leg strenght and power or at least some degree of muscle development.

Edited by Revampo 2004-07-23 3:41 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-07-23 3:53 PM (#8601 - in reply to #8600)
Subject: RE: Yoga style that builds leg strenght?

Try Bikram yoga. It has a lengthy standing series.
Revampo
Posted 2004-07-23 4:57 PM (#8603 - in reply to #8601)

Thanks, but I hate heat.Any other way?
Babsi
Posted 2004-07-29 11:49 AM (#8727 - in reply to #8600)

Hey Revampo.
being a fanatic sportswoman myself, try Iyengar, he explicitly refers to all the standing poses and works on the alignment. Im just a beginner, but may be one of the other Iyengars here (if any) can help me out here.
Take care babs
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-21 6:01 PM (#10175 - in reply to #8600)

Revampo

I find vinyasa, power, anusara and ashtanga all have a challenging series of standing poses. However, if you are an avid runner you may want to consider what your goals are and what you expect to gain from yoga. The standing postures generally develop isometric strength and muscular endurance. But the greatest benefit from yoga to your running will probably be your increased flexibility, breath control, mental acuity and resistance to injury.

If you are looking to gain strength and power for your legs, you should consider going to strength and conditioning coach and start doing lots of squats and deadlifts.

If you like running (and don't want to go to a gym) consider sprinting short distances: 100, 200 and 400m. Generally, sprinters have a lot more muscle mass due to their anaerobic training. You might consider alternating days of short sprints with days of long distance runs. You'll find your muscles and lungs taxed in a whole new way.

My $0.02

YogaGuy

YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-22 11:10 AM (#10194 - in reply to #8600)

Revampo

i wanted to say a few more yoga-positive things...

Yoga is supposed to be a balance: hatha, sun-moon, etc. You probably find your yoga practices somewhat harder on the arms than the legs because your leg strength is proportionally greater than your arm strength. This is common among runners. Therefore, you should consider it a gift that your yoga practice is working your arms more and bringing you into balance. Another way to look at is that a yoga practice that would challenge your leg strength would probably be totally out of balance to most people that don't run like you and don't have the same leg strength.

So perhaps you can look at your yoga practice as bringing balance to your physical body as opposed to looking for it to play to your strengths and gloss over your weak areas.

Om shanti
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)