YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Skin flaps & tears on big toes
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

elson
Posted 2004-07-25 2:43 AM (#8625)
Subject: Skin flaps & tears on big toes

Whenever I do alot of Ashtanga or hatha flow, I get tiny skin flaps on the bottom surface of my big toes. Occasionally these rip into the sensitive part of the skin. Putting a strip of flexible plastic tape around the toe fixes that problem, but I would eventually like to get away from that.

Any ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-07-26 3:53 AM (#8638 - in reply to #8625)
Subject: RE: Skin flaps & tears on big toes

Are you rubbing your feet on the ground while doing Whatever Dynamic Movements. If so, it is wrong. There should be NO Yoga Poses, past, present or future where you should rub your bottom of feet on the ground harshly. Also, all dynamic Poses with Feet on the ground must NEVER be done on any kind of Mat. They shoul dbe done on a smooth, NON Slippery surface, such as a Wood. Which is also soft wood, preferably.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-07-26 4:12 PM (#8668 - in reply to #8625)

So pick your feet up.

This is common with new practitioners. For example, listen when you bring a foot forward or backward from dog into Warrior I. So you hear your feet scraping? That's 1) lazy, 2) not building the ab strength it takes to actually lift your foot, and 3) wears on the feet!

Note: I am not calling you lazy, but it's a lazy habit almost all practitioners have. Sometimes it's so loud it competes with the breath for a rushing noise.

Also, make certain you're lifing with Uddiyana bandha as you roll back and forth. Your feet should never be sliding or falling out to the side. It's the friction of sliding that's tearing your skin. Even as you roll forward into chaturanga, your toes should feel resistance, not a slide.

Check your mat. If you're using one of those (crappy) thin mats, the surface is different and rough enough cause small tears.

Note: The rough side of a black mat goes down, with the smooth side up. What makes that not slippery us just plain sweat.

I hope this helps..?

Christine
elson
Posted 2004-08-01 3:11 AM (#8782 - in reply to #8625)

Thanks, Cristine :-). I will try to pay more attention to avoiding sliding. That sounds like the best long-term solution.

Interesting information about the mat. I am currently using what you would probably call a crappy mat - it is pretty sticky - over one of the non-porous black mats. I can't get any traction off of the black mat, & I appreciate the extra padding of the two mats for my knees. Of course, after about the first quart of sweat, the sticky mat isn't very sticky anymore.

Some folk use a towel or blanket on top of a sticky mat. I could try that, but I'm not sure that the blanket surface would be any gentler on the skin of my feet.

Thoughts?

So I guess until I get my form fixed in this respect, I'll keep using the tape. Have you heard of any herbs or whatever that are useful for toughening up the skin of the feet?

Thanks!!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-08-01 2:30 PM (#8797 - in reply to #8782)

Elson, bless your soul but I think you worry too much about finding X to do Y, when it's all in front of you. The way to toughen the soles of your feet is to build calluses. For goodness sake, Herbs? Come on. Go barefoot all the time. I even have calluses on my ankles from lotus pose, on all 4 corners of my feet from standing well, and on the pads of my fingers and sides (but not the base) of my hands from working my hands in Adho Mukha Svanasana, if that tells you anything.

As far as those rugs or carpets? I think it's an affectation. Particularly for the Ashtanga practice. The point of the Ashtanga practice is to use a memorized series so you don't have to think. You don't have to think so you can focus on the sound of your breathing. Your breathing offers a metronome against which you can move without thought. Being without thought permits you to enter Dharana. A state of pure focus. That "zone" thing.

Every time one stops to prop, belt, spread/fold a blanket, modify, and/or leave the memorized sequence, you lose the potential of that meditative state. That's why Ashtanga does not use props. It's not prop snobbism but rather because it interrupts the practice that comes to be part of one's muscle memory and physical, rocking flow.

Some people are so busy with their props they lose the oppotunity to actually practice. Sure, there's a place for props, but not really in the Ashtanga practice. If one is propping all their poses, I'd say this is not yet the practice for them. I include those (IMHO silly) rugs, too. But again, that is my opinion. I find the only really functional prop in an Ashtanga practice is a hand towel. It's a swipe during Dandasana, on the soles of the feet during Baddha Konasana (the forehead makes them slippery for the next jump back) and perhaps, just perhaps, for dipping in Urdha Dhanurasana. But again, that's my opinion.

Just practice. Sweat, gain strength and flexibility, check in to see if you're pursing your lips or your tongue is pressed against the roof of your mouth (both = tension) and watch your calluses build.

Perhaps not helpful, but something to consider nonetheless.

Christine
elson
Posted 2004-08-02 3:01 AM (#8809 - in reply to #8625)

Hello Christine :-)

I _have_ calluses where the skin develops tears. The tears start in the callus, and rip into the sensitive skin beneath the callus. So actually, the callus may be the problem, and the cure might be to toughen the skin by marking it more moist and supple. I'll ask my Dermatologist (since I have excema, I'm on speaking terms with one :-).

Thanks for your various thoughts on props & this&that!

I'll keep working on minimizing the lateral forces on those toes during jumping around.

Cheers.......................Dale

Edited by elson 2004-08-02 3:02 AM
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-08-02 7:28 AM (#8811 - in reply to #8809)

My husband has that same problem. He's a general contractor and has hands as tough as the nails he pounds. Every so often the uncalloused skin tears. Usually, when it heals, though, the callous has simply taken on more area. It's hurtful, though!

Yes, ask your dermatologist. I'd be interested to know if there was something external to apply to thicken skin. Thin it? Yes. Thicken it? eh. Fewer want thicker skin unless it's in the metaphorical sense.

Good luck,
Christine
tourist
Posted 2004-08-08 3:19 PM (#8994 - in reply to #8668)

Expert Yogi

Aha Christine - I knew I would find you somewhere on the web! Howzit going?

My take on the skin flaps (as a non-Ashtangi who also got them...) is that sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't. Haven't had any for awhile and I'm happy with that. Seems they were worse in the winter when I oculdn't wear open shoes like my Birks as much and bare feet in the house. They HURT like crazy though, don't they?

tourist
elson
Posted 2004-09-28 2:30 AM (#10329 - in reply to #8625)

I started using a Chinese Kung Fu linament that is a Dit Da Jow, which of course has many names :-). I apply it to the bottoms of my toes a couple of times in the evening. I don't know if it is working, but it is fun to trot out my Hong Kong Kung Fu accent while I apply it :-).

I also went through a period of going from taping my toes every practice to taping them every other practice, etc.

Finally, I am using a disposable razor to shave off the current crop of flaps whenever I notice some growing.

Currently, I am not using the tape more than once a month, so this appears to be working.

But probably the most significant factor was improving my form :-).

Cheers.....................Dale
Orbilia
Posted 2004-09-28 11:38 AM (#10338 - in reply to #8782)

I found the sticky mat I had very annoying as I'd end-up laminated in the bloomin' thing whenever I worked up a sweat.

I now use a cotton chenille rug which is good for sweat and stays attached to the carpet when I practise. Some find these a little thin but that depends on the thickness of the yarn. Also, they can be used one on top of the other or folding over under any sensitive bits (my knees in Camel pose for one *S*).

Fee
Orbilia
Posted 2004-09-28 11:45 AM (#10341 - in reply to #10338)

I natuarally build up hard skin on my feet, regardless of the yoga. If I allow it to get too thick, it splits and can be agonising! I pare back once a week after a warm bath using a chirpody knife. You may find pumice or a gritty foot wash will do the same (doesn't work for me unfortunately - I wear the pumice smooth instead *S*). After any bath or shower, try rubbing in a good quality foot cream (I love LUSH's black pepper foot cream but Scholl and Boots the Chemist's own are good too).

If you've got a crack, GENTLY pare back the thicked edges, then cover with self-adhesive chiropody felt, using a little anti-septic cream in the depth of the crack if it looks at all infected.

You may find it's helpful to see a chirpodist to make sure that there's no other problem, especially if several days use of the felt fails to assist the crack in healing over. I had one like that. Turned out it wouldn't heal because there were verucas in the skin.

Good luck,

Fiona

Edited by Orbilia 2004-09-28 11:48 AM
tourist
Posted 2004-09-28 10:12 PM (#10378 - in reply to #10341)

Expert Yogi

I've also use the brush on liquid bandage stuff to cover the raw spots while they heal. It stings like crazy but it works. Weird that this thread got reopened just when I noticed a new ragged big toe...
tbittick
Posted 2004-11-12 11:07 AM (#12086 - in reply to #8625)

Here's a weird little coincidence. I developed one of these little flaps and within like 24 hours stumbled on this thread.

I asked my teacher about it and he said that a lot of times it comes from "jumping back to vigorously."

I'v recently been studying David Swenson's Ashtanga manual and noticed that according to his instructions not only am I "jumping back to vigorously" but it seems as though a lot of the people I practice with do.

I'll be real honest here and say that I always took jumping back to be a sign of the advanced practioner... that's why I wanted to do it so badly... (hey, I'm working on it but there still a lot of unneccesary ego going on here ) Apparently I'm not alone.

After studying Swenson's book AND watching my teacher, the truth is I'm not strong enough in my upper body to really "float" back as it's supposed to be done.

I've watched it done properly and I think it's almost unfair to use the word jump a all. Those people who do it correctly clearly seem to be lifting most of their body weight onto their arms and shoulders, almost as if going into hand stand, and then just floating their legs back.

Point is, in retrospect it seems very reasonable to me that THIS is the cause of my foot ailments.

I'm attempting the VERY ADVANCED POSTURE, of checking my ego in and WALKING my feet to the top of the mat until such time as I have the strength to do "float back" properly.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-12 11:33 AM (#12087 - in reply to #12086)

Here's a tip that changed my whole vinyasa:

Instead of trying to leverage the hips into the air, push down on your hands. As you mentioned, the body action is similar to that of handstand, but pushing down on your hands seems to give good lift. It's the same to come forward.

I think jumping forward will help you build the upper body strength to jump back with less efort. It's also important, when not yet strong, not to let the lower body/back wobble up and down when you land. That is a sure-fire way to whack out your pelvic girdle, so make certain you're holding uddiyana bandha when you move back or forward, OK?

And as you roll in and out of up/down dog, keep your ankles together. It works inner spiral/rotation in your upper thighs, helps you with uddiyana bandha, which translates into a stronger body and pose. Did you notice the ankle bone's connected to the shin bone being sung in the background here?

I think the skin flaps are a reminder to everyone's ego that when we hurt ourselves, it curtails our practice. This is God's little warning to beginners to lighten the you-know-what up and just be.

Walk back with your head up, OK? Then you're in the correct position for Chaturanga, where, if you can see your hands, your head is in the wrong position. Oh, don't get me started!
theurbanhippie
Posted 2004-12-07 11:27 AM (#13320 - in reply to #8625)

My ex husband had the same problem - he was a runner and his feet were like one big callus.

I bought these files from Bliss that were a miracle - better than any scrub, pumice or stone. They're a better match than shaving the callus because they gently wear the callus down, preventing additional building. He also started using Neutrogena's Norwegian Hand Cream or sometimes Eucerin before bed, sleeping in cotton socks. It's an old Southern belle trick but it stopped the cracking cold.

They're pricey but you only need the one.

http://www.blissworld.com/shop/bybrand/dia/
Neem
Posted 2005-01-08 7:34 PM (#14550 - in reply to #8625)

My reflexologist told me that calouses shouldn't really be removed as they're not only protecting the foot, but they're also acting to protect that part of the body to which that area of the foot is connected with. Perhaps congestion in that particular meridion is also contributing to being more prone to calouses in particular areas? Or even vice versa? Might be worth a try. The ones on my toes have been clearing up since I've been attempting to sort my sinuses out, even though I'm wearing the same shoes, doing the same amount of walking, and it's winter. I was a little scheptical about reflexology at first, but somehow, rather mysteriously, it seems to work.

It sounds like it's to do with the yoga though, but I thought I'd mention it.
elson
Posted 2005-01-23 3:55 AM (#15397 - in reply to #8625)
Subject: Much later....

ok, so many moons later, "fixing my form" is definitely the long-term fix for the skin damage. I found no medicines, linaments, jows, ..., etc that did anything noticeable (except to my wallet :-). Tape definitely works well when I actually have a skin flap or cut. Socks - not so well. The tape gives time to heal.

I am also doing alot more other yoga, & alot less Ashtanga, and I'm trying not to put alot of lateral force on my toes while moving. Really engaging the bhandas & going UP helps. Also, concentrating on soft landings helps.

Cheers!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-23 7:08 PM (#15445 - in reply to #8625)
Subject: RE: Skin flaps & tears on big

Colasses have nothing to do with Sinus, believe me. What you did to clear sinus, also cleared collases, that I can agree. What it means is: the problem is not a sinu, but the problem which causes sinus trouble also caused the collases problem. And, Meridian and such is only a way to explain that situation. This can also be explained by other ways such as: Acupunture, Chiropractice, Prana, Kundalini, Ayurveda. These are all explanations.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)