YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

asanas to correct cervical curve
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Lascoux
Posted 2004-08-18 4:42 PM (#9258)
Subject: asanas to correct cervical curve

Hi. I am a 33 year old male who has been practicing in the Iyengar tradition for about 5 years now. I have a small scoliosis and some forward head posture. I have had x-rays done, and have been told my cervical is alittle more flat than normal. I was wondering if there are any asanas I could do to try to correct my cervical curve(give it more of a normal curve again), and correct my head positioning. Thank's for any advice and info. Sincerely, Randy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2004-08-19 12:43 AM (#9269 - in reply to #9258)
Subject: RE: asanas to correct cervical curve

Expert Yogi

Hi Randy - I don't know much about correcting the cervical curve although I am currently undergoing Hellerwork (like Rolfing) and I suspect it could be very helpful. Do you do headstand? I know that it is often recommended that those with flat cervicals practice SLIGHTLY closer to the forehead than usual. I hesitate to mention this but if you have a good, experienced, certified Iyengar teacher you should be able to get her/him to look at your headstand and align it. Of course, if you don't do headstand (and many with neck issues just can't except with a headstander or chairs)...never mind!

A lot of guys seem to have the forward head posture and my theory is that they more easily overdevelop their shoulders and upper back than women do. It isn't that women are better (OK, we are...) but that seems to be the problem. You need to really work on taking your shoulder blades down your back and opening your chest. Having someone put their hands on your back while you try to activate and move the shoulder blades would probably be helpful. Lots of down dog, too. Its good for everything.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-08-20 7:52 AM (#9292 - in reply to #9258)

Dear Original Questioner:
Your situation is totally personal and has to be seen by an experienced teacher. This should not be done through a bulletin board.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Naturopath
Posted 2004-08-20 3:01 PM (#9300 - in reply to #9258)

Lascoux - 2004-08-18 4:42 PM

Hi. I am a 33 year old male who has been practicing in the Iyengar tradition for about 5 years now. I have a small scoliosis and some forward head posture. I have had x-rays done, and have been told my cervical is alittle more flat than normal. I was wondering if there are any asanas I could do to try to correct my cervical curve(give it more of a normal curve again), and correct my head positioning. Thank's for any advice and info. Sincerely, Randy

You don't mention if your scoliosis is congenital or acquired. In viniyoga, we use a number of adaptive assymetrical asanas so that each side of the body works separately. This is how it is approached. Since repetition will exacerbate your underlying condition, it's important for you to determine if the asanas you're practicing are not a contributing factor.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor to find out more about the degree of scoliosis you have. From there, you will need to work with yoga therapist who can adapt asanas to your specific condition. If your condition involves degeneration, this adaption will play an ongoing role in your yoga practice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)