YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iyengar vs Ashtanga and others???
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2004-10-28 8:22 AM (#11309 - in reply to #11299)
Subject: RE: Iyengar vs Ashtanga and others???

Expert Yogi

Tourist ---- There's never been a "Bad Guy", only a "Bay Guy". I've never been
sure whether I get called "Bad Guy" by mistake or as a form of commentary!

Iyengar class and Iyengar practice are indeed quite different. I like your idea of led
practice. I've treated my occasional ashtanga classes as led practice, since there are
no led-practice Iyengar classes around here.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2004-10-28 10:01 AM (#11314 - in reply to #11309)

Expert Yogi

Well that is just incredibly embarrassing!!! I wonder how on earth I could be reading it wrong for so long and suddenly see the light?? I remember thinking "what an odd name for a yoga person!" but as with most screen names, figured you had a reason for it. Even as I typed the question to you, I wondered if it had been that way all along but thought there was no possible way I could have read it wrong for this length of time. Must have been the nice long headstand I did that cleared up my brain

Please accept my apologies and now I'll slink off a la Grover of Sesame Street. "Oh, I am so embarrassed!"
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-10-28 11:32 AM (#11319 - in reply to #9301)

That's funny. When I first lurked on this board, I thought I saw some posts from someone called "Bad Guy." Then I saw "Bay Guy" and was confused too. Wasn't sure if it was just me. Perhaps you have an alter ego?
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-10-28 3:08 PM (#11333 - in reply to #11319)

Expert Yogi

Tourist --- Oh honestly, there's nothing about which you should be embarassed.

YogaGuy -- There have been no posts to this forum by a "bad guy", at least, none
that show up when you use the search tool. I am, very truly yours, Bay Guy...
tourist
Posted 2004-10-29 10:41 AM (#11373 - in reply to #11309)

Expert Yogi

BaY Guy - we also have timed practices at our main studio where the name of the pose is simply announced (in Sanskrit, of course) and the timer is on. I find them very challenging but the Iyengar sequences are wonderful to do without interruption. I tried out the one hour led practice on a class last night and it flowed quite well. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Hey, have you seen that other guy on the forum called Yugo Guy? Do you think he drives a really horrible Yugoslavian car???
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-10-29 12:38 PM (#11379 - in reply to #11373)

Expert Yogi

Hi Tourist,

I'd really like to take that class you mentioned. I try to do something similar
in my home practice.

I did see a post by Yugo guy where he was calling Bad guy names. Odd, no?

Edited by Bay Guy 2004-10-29 12:46 PM
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-10-29 2:34 PM (#11383 - in reply to #11379)

Yugo Guy is a complete and total moron. He is also boring! Bad Guy smells like cheap cologne! People like that should be banned from the internet.
aaron
Posted 2005-03-02 2:17 PM (#18092 - in reply to #9301)

These discussions have been very very interesting. Thanks for bringing up all of these ideas, everyone.

I want to say that I agree that an iyengar class is not the same thing as a practice. I go to class to learn which influences my practice. I have actually gotten to the place where if I go to class too often I start to feel off because I haven't had the right amount of me time on the yoga mat. And that me time seems to be increasing. Seems as though I am needing to practice more and more and more.

I have been exploring other traditions lately. Just for fun, because I started out with iyengar and wanted to make sure there wasn't something out there that I was missing. I have done vinyasana, ashtanga, anusara so far. And I keep coming back to Iyengar. I don't know that my practice at home is strictly iyengar. I know it's influenced by the iyengar traditioin i study at the center. What I do is try to tap into my instincts and just listen as much as I can. I have learned alot by going and hearing other traditions use different words to discribe the poses. Sometimes i just need to hear a different teacher. Yoga is yoga. It all takes you to that same place but uses different means to get there.

That being said...I love my iyengar yoga. And I love how much Mr. Iyengar loves it. A love like that is very inspiring.

HotYogi
Posted 2005-03-02 4:59 PM (#18105 - in reply to #18092)
Subject: RE: Iyengar vs Ashtanga and ot

BKS Iyengar has been called the "Einstein of body and breath". Eric Schiffmann in his book gives a great description regarding his experience with the spiritual side of Iyengar Yoga.
aaron
Posted 2005-03-02 5:33 PM (#18111 - in reply to #9301)

I love Erich Schiffmann's book!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-03 10:07 PM (#18195 - in reply to #18092)

Expert Yogi

aaron - 2005-03-02 2:17 PM
I want to say that I agree that an iyengar class is not the same thing as a practice. I go to class to learn which influences my practice. I have actually gotten to the place where if I go to class too often I start to feel off because I haven't had the right amount of me time on the yoga mat. And that me time seems to be increasing. Seems as though I am needing to practice more and more and more.

I've had that same problem of balancing class and practice. Too many classes over a period
of time does eat in to the intensity of my personal practice b/c classes can be much slower
than practice. Classes can be social as well, but I don't want to trade too much practice for
socializing. In a way, it's all about time: I don't have enough of it.
aaron
Posted 2005-03-04 6:41 PM (#18264 - in reply to #9301)

I agree...it is all about time. More specifically, it's all about filling your time with the things that are the most important for the time being. I feel like I am never having enough time to practice, with work and girlfirend, and just life. Half the time I am rushing to work because i spent "just five more minutes" on the mat. Which makes me feel rushed to work - the opposite of what I am trying to achieve in my practice. For that reason, I love my Saturday mornings. I get hours all to myself. Whether that means I am really working hard or just lying on my back rolling my sacrum against the floor. I don't feel like I am missing out on other things because I spend time on the mat. It makes the time off the mat more rich and tasty.
fujirox
Posted 2005-05-06 1:40 PM (#23658 - in reply to #9364)

hey christine -

just read your words on this thread and i wanted to say THANK YOU! i did a google search - anusara vs iyengar - and this website came up. i am on the verge on leaping -- not sure whether iyengar or anusara is where i'm to land. i'm a practitioner and student (and new teacher) of vinyasa/flow and am craving deep knowledge, understanding re: all things biomechanics and therapeutics of yogasana. big time shift for this yogini. your insights were EXTREMELY helpful. thanks so much.

best -

fujirox
loli
Posted 2005-05-06 5:48 PM (#23669 - in reply to #9301)

Christine....Christine...? Are you around? Haven't heard from you lately....Miss your presence here....
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-05-08 10:09 AM (#23710 - in reply to #23669)

I'm here, Loli. I just browse mostly and get bored easily.
Christine
designaire
Posted 2005-06-23 5:54 PM (#26143 - in reply to #9301)

If I had it to do over I would have started Iyengar first and once I had my flexiblity picked up Ashtanga. I see older people trying to do Ashtanga without begin flexible and I'm afraid they are doing more harm than good. Most of the Ashtanga people started in they're 20's so they were flexible by the time they reached their 40's.

I took a training with David Williams who is really responsible for bringing Ashtanga to the west. He doesn't even teach head stand or shoulder stand because he thinks it's too risky and doesn't want anybody to get hurt. Iyengar, of course stay in it forever.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)