YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bakasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

YogaGuy
Posted 2004-10-24 11:18 AM (#11157 - in reply to #11136)
Subject: RE: bakasana

Way to go, Melissa!

Yep, the top of the head is better than the face. Make sure to put a blanket or pillow down so you have some padding for your head next time. The helmet & neck brace are also good, but can be cumbersome. The pivoting forward also happens when you start to look down between your hands. Your chin comes to your chest and the tendency is to move into a sommersault and land on the top of your head. If you look 2 feet in front of your hands, you become much more balanced. However, if you do start to topple, then you should tuck your chin quickly and try to land on your head rather than your face.

Now that you are getting the hang of it. You just need to keep your arms strong to help support you. Lots of plank, side plank (vasistasana) and down dog (adho muka svananasas) (and even some handstand work like Neel suggested) will help keep your arms in shape for this pose. For balance and stability, imagine there is a line down the center of your body and try to pull your elbows, knees and feet to that line. Keep lifting your belly button into your spine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-06 8:25 PM (#11731 - in reply to #11157)
Subject: RE: bakasana

Yoga Guy, thanks for the response... what with the new light materials, I'm thinking the helmet still might not be a bad idea... the neck brace, however, might indeed be cumbersome.

thanks for the advice about rounding the back... so many poses require that "valley" that I forget that rounding the back is occasionally ok!.

I'm taking a class w/ a friend who is a teacher this week and I think he's going to make me try to push up from Bakasana to headstand... he thought the pivoting was a great way to start... oh lucky me...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)