YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bakasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

bomberpig
Posted 2004-09-06 9:56 PM (#9688)
Subject: bakasana

I need help. I cannot do this pose. My leg keep slipping off my armpits as I try to raise my feet off the ground. I know I don't have a lot of upper body strength but I am worried about my alignment. Can someone tell me how I am suppoed to get into this pose ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bomberpig
Posted 2004-09-10 5:48 AM (#9786 - in reply to #9688)
Subject: RE: bakasana

OK all you guys out there doing the second series, aren't you going to help ?
LoraB
Posted 2004-09-10 9:22 AM (#9793 - in reply to #9688)

Wish I had some advice for you on this..I'm still struggling with this pose myself. It seems to be a matter of practice - my feet are finally coming off the ground for oh, 2-3 seconds now. YOu just have to really tilt your hips forward and look forward rather than down. And don't feel too bad if you (literally) fall on your face - it actually helps in figuring out where everything needs to be.
bomberpig
Posted 2004-09-10 7:45 PM (#9818 - in reply to #9688)

Thanks LoraB, I actually hit the top of my head on the floor which was really embarrasing. I wish I can lift my feet of the floor for 2 or 3 seconds, that would make me so happy. Guess I'll just keep practising.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-09-11 11:35 AM (#9829 - in reply to #9688)

This pose is easy if you have someone to show you the yoga party tricks for it.
Just starting out, we're taught to bend our elbows. I always pied when I did that. I had to skip the modification and start with straight arms. I just walked up to my arm pits on my tip toes, put my knees into my arm pits then leaned forward.

If you're hitting your head on the floor, why not start with it down? One of the other ways this is taught is to start in Sirsasana II, put your knees into your armpits, then lift your head. It takes greater strength, IMHO, but it's a way to start.

This is a mental pose, rather than a physical one.

C.
bomberpig
Posted 2004-09-11 9:57 PM (#9835 - in reply to #9688)

Christine, I was actually trying to get from a half cooked bakasana into sirsasana II and I just haven't got the arm strength. But I like the idea of going into bakasana from sirsasana II and shall try it tonight. I shall also try the straight arm trick too, I have been trying with bend elbows and it doesn't work for me. I am so happy to see your reply, I was kinda hoping you will offer some advice !
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-09-12 8:33 AM (#9845 - in reply to #9688)

:LOL

As long as you get there without compromising your shoulders (elbows too wide) or your neck (landing hard on your head), I think one can do whatever it takes. The most effective "yoga party tricks" are from those who couldn't get into an asana in what was then the conventional manner.

If you start in Sirsasana II, please make sure you're on the crown of the head, not the hairline, OK? It's holding in the abs, filling out the kidney area, and counterbalancing with your bummy.

How did it goes last night?

C.
bomberpig
Posted 2004-09-14 8:52 AM (#9902 - in reply to #9688)

I held it for 2 seconds ! Well it's sort of progress.

I can come down from sirsasana II ( I assume you mean the three point head balance ) but can't strighten my arms, but I think I know what I need to work on.

Just want to say thanks
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-22 11:23 AM (#10195 - in reply to #9688)

Another option for bakasana:

Start with a blanked folded up under where your face/head might crash (just in case).

Then start in a low squat with your hips sinking down between your ankles.

Place your hands on the floor, shoulder width apart, spread the fingers an claw at the mat a little.

bend you elbows and the squeeze the outside of your elbows with your inner knees. The knees squeezing in will help keep the elbows together and will help you draw in your udhiana bandha.

As long as you are squeezing the knees on the outside of the elbows you will find support as you slowly gaze forward and move onto your hands.

Try coming to your tiptoes and then play with lifting one foot at a time.

I find this helps build the strength needed for the full pose and more importantly it helps you get used to the weight on your hands and the feeling of the balance.

Eventually, you will move the knees closer together and rest them on the backs of the arms, but you will still be pulling them closer together using the same muscles.

Other details to consider are keeping the gaze slightly forward of the hands; hollowing out your belly and rounding the back; lifting your heels to your butt; and drawing the feet together.

Most importantly: PLAY! Make it fun and don't be afraid to fall.

Om shanti
bomberpig
Posted 2004-10-19 7:34 AM (#10966 - in reply to #9688)

Thnx yogaguy, shall give that a try.
LoraB
Posted 2004-10-19 9:16 AM (#10970 - in reply to #9688)

I actually had more physical success with bakasana last night than I have previously, and found that it was due to really squeezing in with my legs. I was coming back here to post that but YogaGuy beat me to it! Doing this also is mentally helpful to feeling more supported in the pose. Made it up for about 5 seconds! Woohoo! Just keep working on it, BomberPig - my teacher said she's been working on it for 5 years and is JUST feeling comfortable in it.
bomberpig
Posted 2004-10-20 7:13 AM (#11003 - in reply to #9688)

Thanks Lora - 5 years ! Guess I've only been trying it for 3 months ... Just practising leg squeezing and lifting off one foot at the moment.

Had a go at indoor rockclimbing last night and thinking of doing it regularly - might help with the arm strength thing.
redtail
Posted 2004-10-20 9:19 AM (#11008 - in reply to #11003)

This is interesting! The rock climbing thing came first for me. It is what inspired me to try yoga--to gain more strength and flexibility for climbing. Now, after almost 4 years of yoga, I have found many more benefits from the yoga and meditaion practices than I ever imagined.

By the way, I still cannot stay in Bakasana for the 5 breaths!! I think that those guys in the books and the videos just hold the pose for a few seconds (long enought to get the picture) and "say" that they've been there for 5 minutes!!

If you are enjoying the indoor climbing, Bomberpig, then wait until you get on the real rock--awesome experience!! You may be wanting to climb ice after that.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-10-20 9:27 AM (#11010 - in reply to #9688)

Regardless of Tricks to get into this pose, and satisfaction with the half forms of it, the factis that:

bakaasana is an advannced pose. the real requirement for this pose is Arms are very very strong. The minimum prequalification before trying this pose is a vertical Handstand where you can keep the entire arm from wrist to shoulder vertical and then stretch the body vertical, not compress the hands by body weight. Arms should be so strong that Body is felt very light on them. Later, you need forward bending flexibiiity. And, then only one should try bakaasana pose, if it has to come well.

I wish all the bestt to all bakaas and bakiis.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-10-20 10:33 AM (#11012 - in reply to #11010)

Neel

I disagree. That is similar to me saying that you should refrain from posting on these boards until you learn to write and spell proper English. Clearly your poor spelling and grammar has not stopped you from expressing yourself, so why do you advise people to limit themselves in such ways?

Perhaps you should offer to sell us another $50 video.

Keith
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-10-20 1:08 PM (#11015 - in reply to #11012)

[chortle]
Did I write that?

I agree with Keith, though. There's no reason NOT to try this asana, given the fact if you're not strong enough, you're not going to get any lift, anyway. The preparations for asana are often the strength builders one needs in the first place, so why not!?

I would not, however, recommend the version where one kneels in headstand with the arms in a tripod, putting the knees on the elbows then trying to lift the head. If one doesn't have the arm, ab, and/or neck strength, falling can potentially do some horrible neck injuries. I'd try the one where you come up on your toes and walk the knees into the armpit instead. It's just plain safer.

The pose is great fun and takes strong concentration, but it's a hoot and a holler of success when you get it -- even for a split second!

Christine
LoraB
Posted 2004-10-20 8:09 PM (#11027 - in reply to #9688)

I agree as well. It's not a pose that is just going to come automatically, even with the arm strength. It's just not something we can mentally wrap ourselves around as easily as some other poses. And really? I think that working on this pose is one of the main reasons I am finally able to do a full chaturanga without knees-chest-chin. There's a strength that wasn't there before really working on bakasana. And like Christine said, the second you actually get up (even for a second) it's exhilirating! So keep working on it! Have fun! Be careful!
I have to say, bakasana has a special place in my heart even though I'm just starting to really get up. The first time I did it, my teacher came over to help, but I couldn't tell where she was, so did some weird thing to get out of wherever I was in the pose, slipped, and landed right on my face (not recommended). I walked around with rug burn on my upper lip for a couple days. After the inital shock of landing on my face, though, I realized that it never once occured to me to not go back, or to quit yoga even though I couldn't do it "well". Fun little moments like that are when you really realize WHY you do yoga. Love it!
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-10-20 8:53 PM (#11030 - in reply to #11012)

Expert Yogi

Hey Keith,

Neel's first language isn't English. How well do you speak Hindi?
Attack the ideas, not the person....

kulkarnn
Posted 2004-10-20 10:20 PM (#11031 - in reply to #9688)

Hey Keith and any one concerned:

There is one correction I wish to apply to my posting. What I mean is NOT a handstand in the middle of the Room with balancing on hands, it can be at the wall but with all other properties from my posting.

Now, if one is NOT able to do the handstand with properties I mentioned, but is able to do the Bakasana very well, I mean with straight elbows and with legs lifted quite high as I thought is desired by many of the posters, I would like to see this.

I know that one can start bakasana without doing any handstands. What I am saying is If there is one who is not getting Bakasana well, then that person should first make the Handstand practice, perfect it and then only bakasana will come well. If one is not interested in a perfect bakasana, then it is another matter.

Also, one who can do bakasana very well, will automatically do handstand very well.

Thus, a very good handstand is a prequalification for very good bakasana. But, one may not follow that process in the actual practice.

I hope my English does not cause any Heartburns.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
bomberpig
Posted 2004-10-21 7:42 AM (#11034 - in reply to #9688)

Um, gee, thanks guys....

Robert, my friend tht I went indoor climbing with atually uggested trying outdoor rockclimbing, but I thought people break their bodyparts doing that. And iceclimbing sounds awfully cold to me.

Neel, in my class we practie both bakasana and handstand at the same time. I can do neither at the moment but am working on it. I am still having fun so guess that' ok.

Christine, I think I have perfected the art of falling over after practising headstand variations I can almot write a book on it

Also I decided not to correct the typos just to see Neel's ( and everyone ele' ) reaction

On a more serious note, I appreciate all your advice. Many many thanks !!
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-10-21 10:04 AM (#11040 - in reply to #11030)

Bay Guy

Duh! You missed my point entirely. It went right over your head. Obviously, Neel's first language is not English, that was my point! Neel shouldn't have to wait until he has perfected English to start using it and start expressing himself. Most people aren't born doing bakasana and shouldn't have to wait until they can do a full handstand before they start exploring it and expressing themselves. Therefore, I was attacking Neel's IDEA, not his person. Yes, it was personalized towards Neel, but not to be mean per se, but rather to drive the point home. Perfect spelling and grammar in not necessarily a prerequisite to expression. Nor is being able to do a full handstand a prerequisite for experimenting with bakasana.

Yes, I was a little mean towards Neel, but I don't agree with some of his posts. I find his his ideas stifling: he says a lot of "you should always do ...." "you should never do..." Rarely does he say, "try this and see if it works for you..." "experiment..." "Have fun..." I find his approach limiting. I realize he is a traditionalist and is very old-school. I appreciate his viewpoint, I just don't agree with it. I apologize if I upset Neel (or you), but I am expressing my opinions on his ideas/posts. I don't know him or you as people and am not criticizing either of you as people. My post was NOT meant to read like "you can't speak english so get off of the site!" Sorry if that is what you thought I was saying. I wasn't.

/I don't speak Hindi. I can barely pronounce the names of the poses in sanskrit.
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-10-21 10:12 AM (#11041 - in reply to #9688)

Furthermore...

I truly do appreciate Neel's viewpoint and do recognize that he is here to help. I believe he is genuine in his advice and efforts to teach and share knowledge. He seems to be honest and caring and a good yogi.

Nonetheless, I disagree with him on some issues. I find him to be preachy. I think he tries to sell himself and his school a little too much for my taste.

In the end, I bet he could kick my butt on the yoga mat! So big props to him!

Keith
LoraB
Posted 2004-10-21 12:21 PM (#11055 - in reply to #9688)

Ohh, I get it now. I read the post in questions as a snide nasty comment also, but it makes more sense now.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-10-21 5:32 PM (#11070 - in reply to #9688)

I am not offended as for my English expertise or bakaasana, as long as there exists someone who

- is NOT able to do a good handstand,
-but, is able to do a good bakaasana.

As for why statements are limiting type, I feel that is my Limited knowledge, perhaps. Try it.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-10-23 1:17 PM (#11136 - in reply to #11070)

I'm glad this topic was here today. I was able to hold the pose for 3-5 breaths, but kept "pivoting" forward and
landing on the top of my head (which is better than the multitude of face crashes that I saw). I have a bad neck
so I haven't really been looking forward in this pose... anybody have any other suggestion, other than wear a helmet
and a neck brace?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)