YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advice on Mixing up my routine
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

YogaAndPilates
Posted 2004-09-07 2:54 AM (#9693)
Subject: Advice on Mixing up my routine

I just can't seem to settle and be happy with a routine. I want to include my morning hour long run or bike ride everyday along with a balance of evening workouts that include Ashtanga and Weight Lifting. I can't seem to find the right balance though. I would like to primarily do Ashtanga but also do enough weight lifting to increase my muscle size just a bit - I am not talking Arnold S. Big - I would just like some fairly decent shape to my muscles. I prefer to workout 6 days a week and then I also take a day to rest and do some very light hatha yoga to rejuvenate me and work on proper forms. So ... Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated!!!

JV
Top of the page Bottom of the page
redtail
Posted 2004-09-07 10:31 AM (#9700 - in reply to #9693)
Subject: RE: Advice on Mixing up my routine

JV,

Your routine sounds intense enough to be building muscle alright!! If you have been doing Ashtanga, and incorporating the vinyasas (not just the resting one) then you should have noticed some muscle increase in one way another. There may not necessarily be a huge increase in size (depending upon what muscle type you are-slow twitch or fast twitch), but you should definately notice an improvement in the tone of your muscles.

I think you ARE on the right track to building and toning your muscles. I would suggest several things that might help you find a routine that makes you happy. Try different times of the day, for instance, for your workouts. Get up in the morning and have a cup of tea to help wake you up, and maybe a light snack (piece of fruit or a SMALL bowl of rice or cereal). Do the Ashtanga routine with all of the vinyasas inserted in the proper places. After relaxing in Savasana for 5 or 10 minutes (really feel that energy moving around and in your body ) have your nice big breakfast. Then take a few snacks during the course of your work day until lunch at around 2 p.m. Maybe a few more light snacks will be needed to keep you from feeling too hungry until you finish the work day and THEN go for your bike ride. After relaxing a bit from that, have a light supper and finish the day with some reading or relaxing of another sort.

I guess what I am saying is try different things until you come up with a routine that works for you and makes you happy. It seems to me that you are on the right track to slightly building your muscle and definately toning them. I hope this helps!!

Namaste
YogaAndPilates
Posted 2004-09-08 9:24 PM (#9741 - in reply to #9700)

Thank you for your advice, I am glad that it sounds like I am on the right track. You know, one of the things I have the hardest time with is how many times a week I should lift weights and how heavy I should lift. Like I said I don't want to The Terminator but I would like to have very toned and shapely arms. My yoga practice is very exciting to me though so it is hard for me to not practice every day!
Revampo
Posted 2004-09-12 11:25 AM (#9857 - in reply to #9693)

hi yogapilates.I've been in that position before.Lifting weights once a week should be enough if you overload the muscle.
Why not do a 90minute ashtanga every morning(5 days) and the 6th day,go running/cycling(30mins) followed by an intense weight lifting session(bicep curls,triceps pulldown,pushups with legs on chair or benchpress e.tc. This worked for me so its worth a try.
YogaAndPilates
Posted 2004-09-12 3:58 PM (#9865 - in reply to #9857)

cool - thanks! I like that idea and it gives me a good base idea of how to figure this out! I want to be sure I include a bit of cardio everyday becuase my ultimate goal for now is to lose weight - then I'll start putting on the bit of bulk that I want muscle wise

Edited by YogaAndPilates 2004-09-12 3:59 PM
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-09-12 9:17 PM (#9872 - in reply to #9693)

A couple of thoughts.

First, if you're doing the asana in the Primary Series with extreme attention to form, using all the muslces intended and moving regularly but slowly, you will build muscle. However, yoga makes long muscles vs. the bulk you seen to want, despite the repeated disclaimers.

Second, ask yourself if you're ever going to actually be satisfied with the definition you achieve, or will you keep wanting more and more? Think about working on your strength in conjunction with your flexibility, making that strong, lean muscle. That, in turn, benefits and counteracts your "contracting" activities such as weight lifting, biking, running, etc.

Third, consider whether or not you're over thinking this. Also ask yourself if you're overtraining. If you're doing all 72 vinyasas, you're lifting and lowering your body weight 72 times a day. If you were lifting that much weight each day for that long, you'd probably receive the observation that you've broken down your muscles, but you're not giving them a rest day to rebuild. That rebuild builds the definition. So while considering your routine, remind yourself that Ashtanga is aerobic and weight bearing, unlike many other forms of yoga. Treat and respect your body accordingly.

Fourth? There is no wrong unless you're breaking down your body and not giving it a chance to rebuild. That causes weakness and weakness causes tensions. Tense muscles do not stretch, they tear.

Catch my drift, dearie?

Christine
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-22 11:02 AM (#10191 - in reply to #9693)

JV

I like to be somewhat contrarian. I, of course, recommend you do your daily yoga practice. I don't have to speak of the benefits of steady practice. However, for overall fitness I suggest you look into a program like Crossfit (www.crossfit.com). They have an excellent view towards total fitness. You will also find that their workouts maximize effort and minimize time.

It is not a "bodybuilding" routine, but rather a way to increase overall fitness and health. You will definitely gain muscle but more importantly you will find yourself performing better across all parameters: strength, speed, flexibility, balance, agility, endurance...etc. And you will do so in a shorter period of time with shorter workouts.

My $0.02

Om shanti

YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-22 11:02 AM (#10192 - in reply to #9693)

JV

I like to be somewhat contrarian. I, of course, recommend you do your daily yoga practice. I don't have to speak of the benefits of steady practice. However, for overall fitness I suggest you look into a program like Crossfit (www.crossfit.com). They have an excellent view towards total fitness. You will also find that their workouts maximize effort and minimize time.

It is not a "bodybuilding" routine, but rather a way to increase overall fitness and health. You will definitely gain muscle but more importantly you will find yourself performing better across all parameters: strength, speed, flexibility, balance, agility, endurance...etc. And you will do so in a shorter period of time with shorter workouts.

My $0.02

Om shanti

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)