YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cholestrol and Yoga...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Yoga
Posted 2004-09-18 9:08 AM (#10066)
Subject: Cholestrol and Yoga...

Hello all,

I am a 50 year old house wife in Kuwait. I have never really exercised much. Only recently I've been told that my cholestrol is very high

I've read in some books that yoga is good to get cholestrol into control.

Could some1 please help me, how to go about it. I am new to this site too, so don't know where to begin looking.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-09-18 9:58 AM (#10067 - in reply to #10066)
Subject: RE: Cholestrol and Yoga...

Welcome Theresa! Glad to see a Kuwati aboard--got to visit your lovely country in 1991. As for your question, practicing yoga asanas improves the blood and oxygen flow through the body and that aids in the removal of toxins and waste. For yoga to be effective in lowering your unwanted bad cholesterol, you need to practice on a regular basis.
An experiment was carried out at the Yoga Institute in Mumbai, India 5 years ago I believe. There were 30 to 32 students whose cholesterol was measured. Out of these, 15 to 16 had cholesterol more than 250. 2 students had less than 150, and others were in normal range. A regular hatha yoga class was conducted for all students. At the end of the course, 6 months I think, it was found that students whose cholesterol was high had reduced to 220 to 230 from 250 to 270 ranges. The students whose cholesterol was less had increased to 160 to 170. The cholesterol of the rest remained same in the normal range.
That's just one of the biochemical benefits of yoga. Regular asana practice also has anti-stress and antioxidant effects which also helps normalize cholesterol.
Again, welcome, look around the site and hit the yoga mat kiddo!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)