YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Friend Level II Teacher Training
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-09-19 9:40 AM (#10093)
Subject: John Friend Level II Teacher Training

I just finished this teacher training. It was 4 days and ... interesting.
To be selected, one had to have a certain practice history, both in years and teachers, among other requirements.

I found the only word I can use about it to be "interesting." Note here: The apprentices are certified Anusara teachers who must log 10 hours with JF each year. They assist and observe in teacher trainings.

We worked a lot on "heart-oriented language" (HOL) but then he focused a LOT on being concise. You know how I whine a lot about teachers yammering? Well, many in Anusara get so caught up in this HOL that they don't get around to telling you what they want you to do! Or if they do, you miss it in the metaphors. He asked us in many exercises to use 2 word instructions. It was funny how many people just couldn't do it! He focused on teaching how to use "eagle eye" to look down a row of students to check the foundation. Too many in his certification videos, are grabbing at hands and other appendages, when they should be looking at people's feet/foundation.

Apparently (according to conversations I had with the apprentices) we had to spend a lot of time on asana basics in our own bodies, because many had no idea their own foundations were not what they should be. I admit my practice has its own faults, but when you keep hearing the same instructions from the teacher, and you don't have anything to move (or they walk by and say quietly "you're fine") you know something's going on or being missed. That was a little frustrating for me. I found this ... interesting ... given the fact there were some incredible practices around me. Very strong, very fluid. But evidently, very off at different times.

The practices themselves were nice, basic, and too short. But they always are for me.

The discussions were ... interesting. I still can't figure out how someone teaching and in a Level II, by selection only teacher training can ask things like how to inject humor into their teaching, or what to do with someone who doesn't "get it." Come on! Am I confused about this, or are these questions unique to every teacher and without a quick-fix answer? And /or addressed in every level I teacher training in the world? I guess I should clarify this in that there were many questions I've heard asked again and again over the years in all-levels teacher trainings and workshops, and are also addressed in the JF TT Manual. So to hear it asked at this supposedly higher level TT seemed ... weird? inappropriate? already answered? fearful?

I enjoyed his focus on just caring and loving your students. On finding the joy and love in your heart that brings you to teach yoga. Unlike Rod Stryker, John doesn't really seem to like the idea that someone does yoga just because it feels good. This does not seem to be OK and that someone is totally missing the point of practicing yoga. We, evidently, all do yoga to align ourselves with the universe, to bring ourselves joy, by coming closer to the divine. I wrote that down so I could remind myself when I get off base, that that (or something similar) was the reason I must be practicing yoga. (Or am I again doing that wrong, too?)

The community, as always with an Anusara group, was fantastic. Very giving, encouraging, laughing and fun. This group lacked or had set aside the testosterone that frequently stains some of these workshops. This was a great relief, because sometimes I and others have discussed how it can be very off-putting. This group was very warm. It's funny how you get to know the people over the years, too, so it's always good to see them again in this really supportive community. That in itself is worth every penny, minute, and mile. I was also thrilled to see some of my workshop friends had become certified. This is a rigorous process! I'm proud for them.

I feel a little bit like I now know what a Level I teacher training would be like. (I didn't take my Level I with JF.) I am wondering a bit what a Level II would be like if we didn't have to return to practice basics. That's opposed to how-to-teach basics. The focus of TEACHING the basics was perfectly sensible. Do you get thi difference?

Anyway, I enjoyed myself. As always, if you have a chance to take a workshop or teacher training with John Friend -- or frankly, any other certified Anusara teacher -- do it. It might be different than your own practice, but you will absolutely come away feeling great and that you learned so much that you can immediately apply to your own practice. Sometimes these workshops can be so effective that a practice takes a completely unexpected turn. And always for the better.

There you have it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-22 1:53 PM (#10201 - in reply to #10093)
Subject: RE: John Friend Level II Teacher Training

Loved your review. I'm really jealous. Where and when was it. I haven't had the chance to take class with John Friend yet, but I am really looking forward to it someday.

Question: you didn't have to take the anusara L1 training??? Thought they would require it. What sort of training do you have to have to go to L2? I guess you have a strong anusara practice already???

Om shanti
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-09-23 4:20 PM (#10242 - in reply to #10201)

Something I forgot to mention. I was in no way exempt from John's 'eagle eye.' Evidently my ashtanga practice's form slips into my Anusara practice more frequently than I or my teachers notice. (or they care to correct.) I try to keep the Ashtanga in the Ashtanga studio and the Anusara versions in the Anusara studio. Evidently, elements of that yoga form (and I quote) "drive him crazy." So by no means did I intend to infer that I floated through that week unscathed, uncorrected, or not working!

John approves participants in different events himself. Usually they're the teacher trainings or teacher practices. The reason I was permitted into this training without the Level I, was due to several factors, which I understand to be:

1) length of dedicated personal practice (documented classes and self-study since 197;
2) having completed a 200 hour teacher training at another studio in another method (Ashtanga);
3) current teachers and my length of study with them (a studio with 3 master Anusara trainers, 3-5 classes a week at Level III or above, for almost 4 years now -- in addition to my daily Ashtanga practice);
4) that I completed a week-long (42.5 hours) Level I with 3 master Anusara trainers (Jenny Otto, Betsey Downing, Suzie Hurley). A year-long, Anusara 200 hour program is preferred, but since my factor #1 was big, this was acceptable.
5) because I just finished a 500 hour program at this same studio and my application probably reflected his sentiments (I'm guessing) that if someone completes this program, it should have some hours with the founder to be complete.
6) because my workshop and teacher training hours each year are usually 50-70, whether it be in Anusara or not, although most are these days. Naturally, Anusara hours are preferred.
7) I'm a helluva gal.

The weekend workshops are not as difficult to get into, although they're becoming more and more selective. They are FANTASTIC, invigorating, energizing, encouraging, uplifting and sometimes hard. I HIGHLY recommend, that no matter what your practice method, that you experience him. What you take away will enhance any practice, again, mo matter what your practice method is!

As far as my Anusara practice being strong? I suppose. I don't look at it that way, since I figure after all these years I really should be better at it. I've really felt plateaued for quite some time, actually. I figure I have a dedicated practice and try really hard to do my best.

Oh - and it was here in Silver Spring, MD. His workshops are on Anusara.com. He comes to NYC a lot and you have some fabulous, certified Anusara teachers up there. I suggest you seek out Jackie Prete, for example. (Tell her Christine from Silver Spring suggested you look her up!

'nuff.
C.
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-23 4:34 PM (#10245 - in reply to #10093)

YogaDancer

I go to Virayoga here in NYC and try to practice with Elena or Heather (used to practice with Amy before she went to Colorado). I love it there, but I think like you said on another post (which I'm paraphrasing to suit my own situation) vinyasa is my practice and anusara is my theory. I head to Vira once a month or so to get deeper into the technique and theory. But the everyday work is vinyasa.

Thanks for the info. I think you made a strong case for needing to skip ahead to the L2 training. Keep up the good work.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)